Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Does the game end immediately when 1 person/team hits 21/30 points? Or does the game continue to the end of the round (back to start player) to see if another person/team can get a higher score, or drop the winning person/team to below the 21/30 points?

2. How do tie's work? Rules say you continue until the tie is broken (if so then see previous question of when to stop). But what if a single player in a team has 21 points, and the other team has 30 points. Is this still considered a tie that needs to be broken?

3. I'm assuming Davey Jones' initial ability to 'Discard a Card to Destroy a Card' can destroy any non-protected card in play? While I think this is correct, I hope it's not. It seems too powerful (in a 5 player game). Each round I can take away a high point treasure card, which can make the 'quick filler' game seem endless at times. To make the game quicker/more enjoyable I've stopped using this ability all together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Same question here. The rulebook is subpar on this. Under "Winning the game" it says "As soon as one player has at least 21 doubloons... they and their team win!" — Nothing about triggering game end and continuing play until everyone had a equal number of turns. However, the next sentence "If multiple players would win at once..." sounds more like the game doesn't end immediately when someone reaches 21.

BTW.: Since we have only played 2-player games, I always thought it is 21 when playing alone and 30 when playing in a team. Now that I read your post (and the rulebook again) I noticed that in team play it is still 21 and/or 30, correct?

3. Sice it is fairly easy to protect a 10, I don't think it is too strong. I usually never play a 10 before I have protection. I. e. a Queen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hayward
msg tools
designer
mb
1. Does the game end immediately when 1 person/team hits 21/30 points?

It does! It doesn't continue to the end of the round - it ends immediately when someone wins.

2. How do ties work?

Ties are super rare, but I wanted the rulebook to be as exhaustive as possible. Sometimes a play will cause two players to have 21 or more points at the same time, or a team to have 30+ at the same moment as a player has 21+. (This is especially true in games with Scurvy!)

When this happens, the winner is whoever has the most points over the total they need to win. If no one has more points over the total, keep playing until someone does!

3. I'm assuming Davey Jones' initial ability to 'Discard a Card to Destroy a Card' can destroy any non-protected card in play?

Correct!

Let me know if you have any further questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot Peter. I already thought that maybe some cards could lead to a tie, it just didn't happen yet.

PeterCHayward wrote:
[b]When this happens, the winner is whoever has the most points over the total they need to win. If no one has more points over the total, keep playing until someone does!

SO basically it is the first player - after the tie - that plays a treasure, correct?

The game is very, very beautiful. I love the wonderful illustrations and because of that it'll be on display on my shelf for quite a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hayward
msg tools
designer
mb
Not necessarily plays a treasure - you can remove other people's treasures, or change the value of your own!

Thanks! Kelly did such an amazing job on the art. I'm thinking of getting some blown up and framed for my house!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterCHayward wrote:
Not necessarily plays a treasure - you can remove other people's treasures, or change the value of your own!

Oh sure, my bad. There is definitely more to it than meets the eye. A very clever game.

PeterCHayward wrote:
Thanks! Kelly did such an amazing job on the art. I'm thinking of getting some blown up and framed for my house!

I would do that too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies everyone. And thanks for some official insight Peter. Having the game end immediately seems a bit odd as most games I own go until the last player gets a chance, so everyone had the same amount of turns. But I guess having it end immediately makes this game that much more cutthroat.

Just looking through some of the cards I see a few ways where ties could occur, such as; Jellybeans and the Governor. And as Peter said earlier, when certain Disease cards are added or removed ties could happen, such as; Yellow Flag, Typhus, and Scurvy itself!

All the artwork is great! Hard to find a favorite, but for now I'm learning towards the Skyglass as my favorite
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hayward
msg tools
designer
mb
Our playtesting led us to believe that going first didn't really give you too much of an advantage, but if you find you enjoy it more with an equal number of turns, you're welcome to play it that way! Glad you're enjoying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.