Subject: Rules Question (Spoilers up to September) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, I've been watching the Dice Tower playthrough after each month that my group plays. And I think I caught something in passing that we've been doing wrong (to our own detriment)....

I forget which month it happened, but, at some point, the rules changed so that even drawing the city card from the player deck for a CoDa city causes a Faded to show up there. Here's the question: Does that include the initial cards that you are dealt at the beginning of each game??

We have been including it, but something the Dice Tower folks said in September made me think they weren't doing that; it sounded like they were only placing them when they drew cards after a turn....

It is quite possible we've lost some of our tighter games specifically because of getting hosed by the city cards + infection cards at the setup phase. Was that all a mistake?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. It's part of the "draw Player cards" step, so it does not affect the initial setup. So if you draw city cards of the CODA color at setup, they don't get a Faded.

(Further, if there are already 3 Faded it does not cause an Outbreak, you simply don't add the figure. That's another easy to miss, frequent error on that rule.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Osterholm

College Station
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
Yes. It's part of the "draw Player cards" step, so it does not affect the initial setup. So if you draw city cards of the CODA color at setup, they don't get a Faded.

(Further, if there are already 3 Faded it does not cause an Outbreak, you simply don't add the figure. That's another easy to miss, frequent error on that rule.)

IIRC, if you would add a 4th faded figure via card outbreak, and the city is quarantined, you also don't remove the quarantine.

This rule and its exceptions are more complicated than they needed to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blum
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
You're correct on the not removing the quarantine. You only add for cards after initial setup that are of CodA color. And if they would outbreak, you do nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I appreciate the responses, but my question is about whether you need to put Faded figures out for the initial City Cards that get handed to you during setup. I now think the answer is "no", just given the fact that that rule is not in the "Setup" section of the rule book. The sticker goes in the area about what happens during a TURN. So, basically, we were making the game artificially harder than it was supposed to be. I think we'll be beating October, November, and December a little more easily now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
So many people think that being bigger makes you a better person.
badge
I'm (probably) bigger than you, but that doesn't make me any better. It's what's inside that counts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
I appreciate the responses, but my question is about whether you need to put Faded figures out for the initial City Cards that get handed to you during setup. I now think the answer is "no", just given the fact that that rule is not in the "Setup" section of the rule book. The sticker goes in the area about what happens during a TURN. So, basically, we were making the game artificially harder than it was supposed to be. I think we'll be beating October, November, and December a little more easily now

Correct. Accelerated Incubation only applies to cards drawn during the player draw phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks! I hate that we've been getting that wrong. It probably seems like it shouldn't make that much difference, but we draw a LOT of the CoDa color (black, in our case) almost every time we set up. We just have bad card luck that way. So, at least now we can use those for the equipment and unfunded events we've stuck on them, and no have to worry about an extra negative effect!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.