Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
mbmbmbmbmb

"In order to be refit, a Spent army or Tank unit must be land supplied
(6.2.2.1) to a Home Production Area. Likewise, a
Home Production Area may only supply its points to units
that can trace a route through friendly controlled areas to it.
Thus, units cut off together in a Home Production Area will
only be able to be supplied by that Production Area. "

Does this mean that you must assign specific Production Areas PP to specific units?

For example, board state is "at start" except Posen is occupied by Russia. If there are two spent German units in Prussia, if Germany chooses to refit, he may only refit ONE unit, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Spurny
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Correct. Basically the rule says if they're cut off, you can't spend more points there than can actually reach them. Since Prussia has 1 point, that's the most that can be spent there if that's all they can reach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how do you handle US and Great Britain? They both trace by land to France. But they have to use their own country's PP. So how do you determine how much PP can get to GB and US units?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Uhlmann
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
Tracing to any area in France means access to a port, so the US and Britain can receive their PP. Verdun is the only French space without a port, but is adjacent to Paris which has a port, and if Paris is occupied at the time of production it is a moot point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure. Thanks, Kirk.

So the US essentially supplies it's units by Sea and Land but only if the "sea leg" is from US box to a port in France. Is that explicitly stated in the rules?

I was tripped up because the general rule is that a Unit must trace a supply path to its own Home Production area. Indeed that is, in fact, what the US does, but I had to infer it. I believe it is Great Britain that is emphasized to be the only country that can trace supply by Sea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Uhlmann
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
Your inferences are correct.

The rules only state that the US must trace its land supply to France (as opposed to its home area). That's all one needs to implement the refitting of units, and avoids a lot of extra rules or exceptions concerning sea supply or Britain's ability to supply by sea in other areas. Of course, the explanation is because the US is supplying through French ports, but the US doesn't have the flexibility to supply elsewhere via the sea.

This leaves 'sea supply' available to refer only to Britain's ability, and it seemed like it might be confusing the issue if the rules say that the US can do sea supply, but then having further explanation limiting it when one rule would do. I suppose I could have added a note specifically stating that the US traces to French areas because the Americans are sending their supplies through French ports.

Britain is the same way, tracing land supply to France (essentially sea supply via French ports to Britain), but that could be considered a subset of Britain's general ability to supply by sea, but also stating that Britain can be land supplied via French areas allow tech and other placements that require a 'land-supplied' condition.

Kirk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. It was really only considering the implications of 8.3.2 that the US tracing of Land-supply to France became unclear to me. I understand rules streamlining for sure, but in this case, for me, it was a bit nebulous.

And I was, in fact, wondering why, with Britain's ability to Supply by sea, that it was needed to clarify a Land-Supply path through France; "land-supplied" conditions within other parts of the design makes it necessary to define.

Thanks for the explanation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.