BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a good 2 player LCG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I have recently gotten into Fantasy Flight games. Man, they are good, but expensive. I have slowing been purchasing packs and expansions for LOTR LCG and SW:IA. I love both games. I like the mechanics and theme of both games. I have recently been going through LOTR LCG again and playing it all over with different builds, thematic decks, etc.

I decided as I was playing it one night that I'd like to get an LCG for 2 player competitive play (not tournaments, but not coop). I have someone who would be willing to learn the game and play on a regular basis with me. I'd have to supply all of the cards though. I can't afford to purchase a set of each of the ones that are popular right now (Netrunner, Star Wars, Lovecraft, GoT, etc). So, I was wondering what you would recommend. Which of the LCGs is the best when it comes to competitive, 1v1 games and, more importantly, why is it the best? The "why" part will help me make a decision on what I think I'll like.

As stated before, I really like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings themes, but I'm open to others if the game play is really good. I know nothing of GoT or Netrunner, though I think I would like both. Thanks for the input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Th Arkham Horror LCG is CoOp, not competitive, so scratch that off your list.

Netrunner is amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Netrunner is an excellent game, and since you wouldn't be playing it competitively I can recommend it without reservations. My main beef with Netrunner is that it has an artificially high initial learning curve due to the rampant cyber-punk terminology (this transforms into an upside once you grok it, though, because it reinforces the theme). What I like about it is the truly asymmetrical gameplay, and the way the theme and mechanics are so tightly intertwined (cyberpunk leaves me cold, so it took a while for me to try Netrunner at all, but I ended up loving it because the gameplay was so interesting and different).

I've barely scratched the surface of Star Wars, but my initial impressions of it were that it has fantastic art, but the theme-via-mechanics is shaky and its ruleset is overly complex (compared to my favorite, but now dead, Warhammer 40k: Conquest, where the game is mechanically very simple for an LCG but offers a lot of depth and difficult choices). There are some people who love it dearly, though, so read some reviews instead of taking my word for it.

I haven't played AGoT (theme leaves me cold), but a portion of my local gaming group bought into it and is super negative about the game. According to them, it's far too much of a luck-fest (you have something like 50-60 card decks, but since there's barely any card draw it's rare to go through more than ~30 cards in a game); their opinion is that the deck-building is awesome, and actually playing the game is largely a snooze fest. Take this with a grain of salt, though; this is mainly a Conquest group, and Conquest is highly skill based for an LCG with lots of difficult tactical decisions. There are a lot of people enjoying AGoT, so it's entirely possible that if you like the theme and don't mind a little more luck in your games that you might love it.

If you want to look beyond FFG, I highly recommend taking a look at Ashes. The theme on that one is somewhat generic, but the artwork is beautiful and it's a ton of fun. Do note that Ashes is very much a game about timing, though; not a lot of big, swingy combat and more jostling for position. The main downside for Ashes currently (assuming you like the gameplay) is that it's really hard to get the expansions right now because Plaid Hat ceased production when an Asmodee acquisition got underway (baffling a lot of their fans).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
7 Wonders Duel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Netrunner offers the best gameplay out of the box, i.e. it's enjoyable for a long time with just a single core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hill
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a couple of Magic starter decks. They're well balanced and with a couple more there's a lot of variety with no more expense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Wassen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
Netrunner offers the best gameplay out of the box, i.e. it's enjoyable for a long time with just a single core set.

Yup. With 7 factions total, it offers a lot of replayability. And if you don't want to get all the data packs, the big box expansions offer a lot of content too. Mostly aimed at just 2 of the factions, except the last one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Netrunner has the best meta game and is the most asymmetrical. It is also the most different out there. Outside of FFG games, Ashes is worth looking into. One nice aspect of it is that it uses 30 card decks and you pick your first five cards. This means if you build a deck around an idea, that idea is going to come out as compared to other games where the decks are bigger. Even Netrunner with 40-45 card decks can be a bit swingy.

One minor point. Even if it is for casual play, you'll want a second core for Netrunner just to help smooth things out but find out if you like it first. Deluxe expansions after that with the occasional data pack like the first so you can get Jackson Howard. netrunnerdb.com is a great resource.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.