Richard Borg» Forums » General Creator Forum

Subject: Richard Borg? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know what new games Richard Borg, the game designer, might be working on these days? More C&C games? A new version of Battle Cry maybe someday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mb
In an interview with the Dice Tower, he mentioned a CC Napoleonics and sci-fi. The system is officially being milked to death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Lets get away from this crap already. Do we really need one for every different theme?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
In an interview with the Dice Tower, he mentioned a CC Napoleonics and sci-fi. The system is officially being milked to death.

I don't know... if I had a goose that laid golden eggs, I'd be eating as many auric omelettes as I could before the source dried up.

Assuming they tasted good.

And didn't stain my teeth.

Or clogged up my digestive track.

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mb
I agree that he may as well continue his success, but at what price. Look at Klaus Teuber. He doesn't do much now than desgin new versions of Settlers. There was once a good designer there (Entdecker, Hoity Toity), but he has been swallowed by his own creation.

The CC system is neat, fun to play, and light. But how far can it go? I like Memoir '44 and Battlelore, but I am done with the sytem for now. Fantasy battles was what I wanted for this system. He is giving me more dwarves. I am stoked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
hughthehand wrote:
I agree. Lets get away from this crap already. Do we really need one for every different theme?

Why is it a problem? People will buy the ones they are interested in. I'm not interested in Battlelore, but might pick up Napoleonics. I see you like the fourth in the series - should he have stopped before then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Logging plays since 2004
badge
Da red wunz go fasta!
mbmbmbmbmb
hughthehand wrote:

I don't know that we need one for every theme, but I would like to see one with playtested scenarios and playbalanced victory conditions, so that you don't have to play the same scenario twice to have a balanced game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Exit...pursued by a bear.
mb
cscottk wrote:

I'm still waiting for C&C:Fluffy Wars....Care Bears vs. My Little Pony.

Just think of the expansion possibilities! "The Smurf Wave", "The Rainbow Bright Offensive", and the lesser known "The Popple Wars"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm waiting for C&C: Post-Apocalyptic, C&C: Monsters (Werewolf vs Vampires) and C&Crehistoric (Cavemen with Sabretooths and Wooly Mammoths).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa, didn't expect to start an argument here.

Personally, I'd be interested in sci fi, if it's at least as deep as Battlelore.

And, hey, DoW (assuming they publish it) has to keep parity these days with FFG's Starcraft, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
You might not be aware that Borg has a game included in the Stonehenge: An Anthology Board Game game that is due out here imminently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Prussian wrote:
hughthehand wrote:

I don't know that we need one for every theme, but I would like to see one with playtested scenarios and playbalanced victory conditions, so that you don't have to play the same scenario twice to have a balanced game.

If the point of the scenario is to simulate a lopsided but still interesting battle, then there is no playtest issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Logging plays since 2004
badge
Da red wunz go fasta!
mbmbmbmbmb
KenHR wrote:
sisteray wrote:
C&Crehistoric (Cavemen with Sabretooths and Wooly Mammoths).

Actually, that sounds...kinda cool....

While you're waiting, check out Sticks & Stones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
hughthehand wrote:

Yes. Yes, we do!

I'd really like to see the Napoleonic version of the game. A Sci-Fi version might be interesting, especially if it was asymmetric in some way. (Humans vs. the bugs, etc.) Otherwise, I don't think a Sci-Fi version would really offer anything different, other than theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kimbo wrote:
A Sci-Fi version might be interesting, especially if it was asymmetric in some way. (Humans vs. the bugs, etc.)

C&C: Starship Troopers!? Sign me up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
cscottk wrote:

Just think of the expansion possibilities! "The Smurf Wave", "The Rainbow Bright Offensive", and the lesser known "The Popple Wars"

C&C:Monchichi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think Richard is a one-dimensional designer, you might like to look at "Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel" or TSR's "Battle of Britain," both of which are his designs.

Richard also designed the Narnia Risk game and "Hera & Zeus," among other non-C&C-system published titles.

He has been demoing the Napoleonic C&C at HMGS-East cons (with lovely big painted 25mm Napoleonic figures on multiple stands, with 3D wargame terrain) for at least three or four years now. I'm glad he has found a publisher.

I like the system very much for light wargaming and am one grognard who believes that there's more history folded into these designs than people generally credit.

Each time a new C&C-system game has appeared, Richard has brought new refinements with it. I think future titles set in new periods will continue to show this trend.

Years ago Richard told folks at Historicon that he has an American Revolution/Seven Years' War and Mexican-American War version developed, tested and ready to go (I thought AH/Hasbro missed a trick when they didn't publish a Revolutionary War edition of "Battle Cry" to go with the then-popular movie "The Patriot").

He also has several more applications of the system ready to go if only publishers will say "yes."

Every person I game with likes his titles and even many of my very tight-with-the-wallet friends have bought his designs after playing them with me; these are guys who might buy one or two games a year, tops.

No game design is for everybody, but I fail to understand the condescension and hostility sometimes expressed in regard to the C&C series. If, indeed, repeated publication is "beating a dead horse," the market will at some point demonstrate that fact. So far the facts indicate otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
disclamer wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
cscottk wrote:

C&C:Monchichi

Damn you. Now that stupid song is in my head.."Oh so soft and cuddly"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Barry Kendall wrote:

No game design is for everybody, but I fail to understand the condescension and hostility sometimes expressed in regard to the C&C series. If, indeed, repeated publication is "beating a dead horse," the market will at some point demonstrate that fact. So far the facts indicate otherwise.

Yeah, Like Monopoly...Never have enough Monopolies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sifu
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I predict that you will soon see a non C&C game from Mr. Borg. The crystal ball has revealed it to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Palmer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what he's working on but if he makes anymore C&C games I would want multi player options. Though, Nepoleonic wars sound cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hughthehand wrote:

Well, yeah. I think we do. Doesn't every gamer deserve their favorite theme to be C&Ced? If he hits all the big themes, you could very well see at least one C&C game on every geek shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rayito2702 wrote:
I don't know what he's working on but if he makes anymore C&C games I would want multi player options. Though, Nepoleonic wars sound cool.
Already available for M44 and BL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Palmer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
rayito2702 wrote:
Already available for M44 and BL.

By "multi player options" I actually mean multiplayer free-for-alls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KenHR wrote:
...Richard Borg isn't going to show up on your doorstep with his gang of truncheon-armed thugs and give you a beating if you don't buy the new games...

But if he did, we would all sure save a little on the shipping expenses.

Think of it...

"Hey Richard, what a nice surprise! There's no need to have Vinnie the Neck, Sammy Pipecrusher, or Ogre get out of the car. I'll take one copy of the new C&C game, one each of the BattleLore expansions CMLXXIII and CMLXXIV, and that Memoir '44 expansion that I never picked up... you know the one in Antarctica. Oh, yeah I almost forgot... I'll need two copies of C&C: Fluffy Wars. 'The Rainbow Bright Offensive' expansion did a number on my last copy. Here's a couple of Hersey's Kisses for the boys in the car. Thanks again for stopping by."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.