Subject: Buy now or wait? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Beorne
Italy
Forli'
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Just bought ASLSK and I'm eager to start ASL. It is more that 25 years that I look to it with fear and desire, it is the time.
Do you think I should wait for a possibile third printing or should I buy the and ed rulebook?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Camas
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy now. The rulebook is pretty well updated for now and waiting for a reprint is no guarantee that it will show up on time if at all. Getting ASL and the recently released Yanks: ASL Module 3a and Beyond Valor: ASL Module 1 is a good start.

Though if you're just getting into it and not sure about it yet, the ASL Starter Kits are all three once again available and a better starting point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Sunnyvale
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has MMP ever said anymore about an e-rulebook? That sure would help especially if it were in an app format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
txaal wrote:
Has MMP ever said anymore about an e-rulebook?

Yes, they are working on it, but things in the world of ASL take their time..

Don't know about what format it would/will take though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the SK1 in January and played it almost every day for 6 months before starting to get more. It's always fun to buy new stuff but it's also fun to get the most out of what you already have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Axford
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat. Played it back in the day, but now have time to learn it again. Have ASLSK1 and ASLSK3, so BV and Rules are next up.

I can pick up AH version of BV (1st Ed) cheap here, but figured it'd be est to just go with 3rd Ed. Same goes for rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GRS

Poland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy now. I've been playin Starter Kit for about more than two years. It helped me a lot when I moved to the full ASL. But I still enjoy playin' SK scenarios from time to time.
Moreover, SK is much easier, to it's easier to find other gamers and learn the rules quickly. Basically, it's ASLTYCPRFTB - Advanced Squad Leader That You Can Play Right From The Box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Beef
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you are waiting for Gadot - buy now...now!

Hurry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Blue wrote:
buy now...now!
Hurry!

A while back in another thread, I called ASL players mindless zombies when it came to buying stuff and a handful of people got offended and I had to apologize...but, now that I see these messages, I don't know. Sounds about right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Borrows
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's a tough choice. If you are really into full ASL or think you would like to try it's best to get the core modules whilst they are available - if you can afford it. Once OOP most MMP ASL items sell for much higher prices (For King and Country being a case in point).

If you are happy with ASLSK then with the 3 kits, the reprint of the expansion pack on its way, and a Pacific theatre module in the works, then you will still have plenty with the starter kits to enjoy.

Going full ASL is a very expensive business and getting more so, and MMP's prices have gone up with some of the forthcoming reprints and new modules. Yanks contains little more than FKaC but cost nearly twice as much in the UK.

Welcome to the money pit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Biosphere wrote:
Going full ASL is a very expensive business and getting more so, and MMP's prices have gone up with some of the forthcoming reprints and new modules. Yanks contains little more than FKaC but cost nearly twice as much in the UK.

Yanks was still much better value than 'Hakkaa Päälle!', which was desperately over-priced. Also, Yanks did have more in it than FKaC - an extra counter sheet and 20 additional scenarios and the dollar has risen against the £ and € between the two releases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Borrows
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
Biosphere wrote:

Yanks was still much better value than 'Hakkaa Päälle!', which was desperately over-priced. Also, Yanks did have more in it than FKaC - an extra counter sheet and 20 additional scenarios and the dollar has risen against the £ and € between the two releases.

Very true. And the weakening of sterling against euros and dollars compounds things greatly. I've noticed a lot of new games are climbing in price. Sadly we may be in for a bit of an expensive period for war games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beorne
Italy
Forli'
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
I bought the SK1 in January and played it almost every day for 6 months before starting to get more. It's always fun to buy new stuff but it's also fun to get the most out of what you already have.

Do you have palyed it in solo? Is ASL (and ASLSK) suitable for solo play?
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try this. It might be a little difficult for a brand new player, but I find it is a lot of fun and good practice.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1546763/solitaire-asl-b...

Beorne wrote:
peterk1 wrote:

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Borrows
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Beorne wrote:
peterk1 wrote:

Thanks.

I think ASL SK plays very well solo. If you can afford it SK 1 is very cheap (as wargames go) and could be a good way of finding out. ASL plays well solo too if you play scenarios without hidden units. Some ASL players would disagree and say that a player might miss something, and misinterpret rules which when discussed with another player become clearer, and I don't doubt that is true. But for me ASL is still just a game and playing it is about enjoyment. I've played ASL solo and loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
Old Blue wrote:
buy now...now!
Hurry!

A while back in another thread, I called ASL players mindless zombies when it came to buying stuff and a handful of people got offended and I had to apologize...but, now that I see these messages, I don't know. Sounds about right!

The real reason is that when the shit goes out of print, your children will retire before it gets reprinted...

BUY NOW...it's resale value DOES NOT DROP unlike the crappy EURO game of the month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BattleSchool Managing Editor
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
Old Blue wrote:
buy now...now!
Hurry!

What have you got against zombies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Beef
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rising Sun is temporarily out of print...

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Products/tabid/58/Category...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'Temporarily out of stock' you mean.

Plus an exclamation point!

We are supposed to be excited they don't have stock.

Or, I guess they are, anyway, it's good news for someone it seems

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.