16 Posts

Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » General

Subject: Curious: Do you end using Token to represent X zombies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kaemon Plaskacz
Spain
flag msg tools
So is something I haven't seen mentioned in the forums so far, but my group has to, relatively often, end using some kind of token (we usually just use the crown token that comes with the game) to represent a group of zombies that is too big to fit on its designed space, and too annoying to move, and I was just wondering if you guys also run in this situation and how you go about it.

So usually, when there are like at least 15 minis in one single place, we could replace like 10+ Walkers for the 1 Crown (or whatever) and put those 10+ Walkers aside, remembering that those can't spawn (so we keep getting extra activations if we run out of Walkers) and that the "Crown Token" is 10+ Walkers (or whatever) we put aside.

Yesterday we tried the first map from Wulfburg, using 6 randomly chosen characters between the 6 original ones, the 4 from Wulfburg and 4 from a Guest Pack and also with Crowz in the mix. We had a bad start (abomination on the first room that we couldn't kill forever and we kept at bay by sacrificing lots of Actions), we took a while until we could start "combo searching" and the first Necromancers appeared on the area in the North (blocked by a door, neither him nor the minis there could come out).
By the end there were all 21 Wolves, around 20 Walkers, 10 Runners, 10 Fatties, 1 Necromancer and 1 Wolfabomination in the same space (behind the "final door". As you imagine, there is no way you can fit that many minis in one space, so yeah...

Other times we just had a cuadruple spawn (double spawn into 2 other double spawn cards) and you could get over 15 Walkers in the same spawn at once, so we would just use a token so they would fit and wouldn't be too annoying each time they activated and had to move around the map.

Do you guys run into this "problem" often? Do you use any house rules about how to handle these situations (like instead of doing the token-replacement we use, just not allowing more minis if they don't fit)?
Not a real problem, just curious about your experiences with this kind of situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
Pacific
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if we come across this problem, we solve it by making a giant pile of zombies in the space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, sometimes it gets crazy but it's cool. It feels awesome to drop dragon bile and torch on a horde like that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IdleHacker wrote:
if we come across this problem, we solve it by making a giant pile of zombies in the space

This...

Generally by the time we get mobs like that, we are either close to the end or at least have weapons and abilities that take out multiple minis at a go.

I have seen that someone just recently posted some homebrew Tokens with numbers of Zombies printed on them for the purpose listed by the OP.

For ease of play I can see doing this (using Tokens), however, it also removes the extra activation anxiety of running out of minis, and, I imagine, would negatively impact the cool factor of seeing hoards of zombies shambling about town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pouic POUIC
France
flag msg tools
QorDaq wrote:
I have seen that someone just recently posted some homebrew Tokens with numbers of Zombies printed on them for the purpose listed by the OP.

For ease of play I can see doing this (using Tokens), however, it also removes the extra activation anxiety of running out of minis, and, I imagine, would negatively impact the cool factor of seeing hoards of zombies shambling about town.

Hi, when we add tokens, we put the correspondant minis near the boardgame to not influence the extra-activation by lack of minis. This is of course to easy without that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Livett
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Big pile of minis for us too, it is really good when they spill out into other zones.

It is usually towards the end of the game so doesn't really make much of a difference to us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Timmermans
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If I ever get around to it, I'm doing a couple of horde-miniatures, inspired by this:
http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=11736.0

Basically, I'll get a bunch of zombies from Ebay, paint them up, and rebase them onto a large base in groups of 5/6. Each gets colorcoded, and the actual zombie population for that horde is kept besides the board, marked by the same color as the horde-base.
If a survivor kills one or more zombies in that horde, the zombie is simply removed from the pile next to the board untill a more managable amount is attained; the horde-mini is removed and replaced with the actual zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
We use squares of card slightly bigger than room sizes, put a marker zombie on the room/zone in question, and the rest on the card next to the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To really do this you would probably want to have 5-zombie horde minis. But you would probably need runners and maybe fatties too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brown
United States
Edgewood
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use colored beads that I got cheap at a craft store. A little piece of colored clay also works. Either one serves as a multiplier: If a mini has a marker, it represents 2, or 3, or whatever you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
I just keep piling them up. It doesn't matter if they overflow a little onto neighbouring squares. I have some spare 200 zombie minis.

Particularly when I get large numbers of crows I just dump them all on top of the heroes to represent them being completely swarmed. It looks awesome.

Usually this is a sign that the end is near.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Well, you could also just limit the number of zombies in a square to what will actually fit. If you need to add more and they don't fit, put them in a neighboring square. This is how it would happen in "real life", those additional zombies wouldn't have space, so they'd spill over to where there is space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Willo
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
markblasco wrote:
....just limit the number of zombies in a square to what will actually fit.....This is how it would happen in "real life"......

Obviously you have not seen 'World War Z'

Zombies Stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this pair number / letters tokens that came with each core of another game.

At 1st I was using a mini to represent the whole group (it was normally happening when I had a big abomi and a horde) but then I remember about those token.. so...

No I just put "B red" token in the zone, and the group of zombies that are suppose to be there on the side with another "b red" token in front.

I normally have 1-3 group of these... more than that normally means we are really close to losing LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaemon Plaskacz
Spain
flag msg tools
Thanks of all for your answers. Didn't expect so many of them. Kinda surprised how many just pile them up, because we get relatively often in cases where that doesn't seem plausible, specially when they all are spawning in areas we left behind and you gotta move "the pile" multiple times.

And as for the game being "almost over" when you get to that point, I don't know what to say.... You can Repel and Dragon Vile to kill everything at once relatively easy, not taking into account some of the new weapons we got with Wulfsburg.

So yeah, as mentioned we use "tokens" that represent groups of zombies (and we put those aside, so we still reach the "no more minis, they get extra activations" at the same time we would otherwise).
"The pile" is too cumbersome for us. Was just curious about how you guys handled it, and wanted to know we weren't the only ones getting so many zombies at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jeroenemans wrote:
If I ever get around to it, I'm doing a couple of horde-miniatures, inspired by this:
http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=11736.0

The two-page AR:SE zombie skirmish miniatures game uses these 'zed hordes'!

"A Horde doesn’t attack in the normal way - any Survivors in base to base contact are automatically removed" zombie

https://web.archive.org/web/20140530051703/http://homepage.ntlworld.com/roweller/ARSE/akulasrules.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.