Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
João Hogan
Portugal
Lisbon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy my first (and maybe second) heroclix set.

Where should I start (I need to buy enough for two people to play)?

I'm only interested in Marvel (specially X-men).

Thanks,

João
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, now is not the best time to get into this game. You'll need to source several key components to the game (Map; Ultra Light, Light, Heavy, and Ultra Heavy objects; various Terrain Type markers for various effects (Smoke Cloud, broken Walls/Blocking Terrain, Barrier); etc), you'll need to download the various Rules from the Wizkids website (Rulebook and Powers and Abilities chart), all on top of sourcing the figures that you want to play with. Currently, there is no all-in-one starter kit that has a quick force ready to go with everything you need to play - though, there are a few fun Fast Forces packs that you could pick up to get started with.

So - assuming you don't have access to a second-hand seller for the maps, you'll need to pick up one of the Neoprene maps (somewhat expensive, but very nice) and two Fast Forces (Ultimate X-Men wasn't too long ago, but I would suggest going with the Superior Foes of Spiderman set as the cards include the dial on the back, making it easier to learn the strategy of the game). Once you've tried it out and if you find you like it, you can expand out to picking up a brick of a set that you like. Since you said you like X-Men, the Uncanny X-Men set is a great place to start, and the Superior Foes of Spiderman also has a lot of cool stuff associated with it, sharing the new card design with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Heroes in a Half Shell). One brick will give you plenty to play with for a fair while - but, beware: there is a massive learning curve with this game, and a lot of the power interactions are very unintuitive, and you will be making a tonne of mistakes before you get the hang of everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Hogan
Portugal
Lisbon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

And typically are there any all in one available?

I read somewhere that in 2017 there will be a new set of rules. Would there be an all in one set?

Thanks,

João

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The current speculation is that they will release a new Starter Set (the All-in-One sets I was referring to in my previous post) once they finish the rules rework somewhere in 2017, and the last one that was released was the Captain America: Civil War set back in April, with an announcement that there would be no new ones being released for the time being. They also tend to sell out quickly, which makes getting into the game much more difficult than it needs to be (even accounting for the rules complexity).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got out of Heroclix once the last major rule change took place. It just because WAY too complicated given that I only played once a week.

And as it stands all I did was display the really cool figs and boxed up the rest. If they introduce a new ruleset in 2017 I may get back into it or look to move my figs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Shiffler
United States
Manchester
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best place to start playing heroclix is your local game store!

Honestly I have to agree with a lot of what has been said in this thread, but I know from both playing in, and/or judging at, my local stores that most times if you are getting into the game other players, judges, and even store owners will help you out by donating extra maps, weapon tokens, smoke clouds, etc. I had so many of those I would give them out all the time.

When I first started playing back in the days of Critical Mass there were always tons of starter sets on the shelves. I really think Wizkids is missing a huge opportunity here. New players want to play, and not having a constantly available cheap entry level starter set on game store shelves is a huge gap in the business plan in my opinion.

That being said, I learned more in a few sit ins in tournaments, and from the other players before and after them, than I ever did from the rule book when I was first starting out.

I find the social activity of heroclix just as fun as actually playing. Trading, building teams, discussions of rules and "meta", who pulled what, etc.

Now if you have no local tournaments this may not be an option. I hope you do though because it adds so much to the gaming experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle bells, Batman smells ,Robin laid an egg. The Batmobile Lost a wheel, and the Joker got away!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think now is a pretty good time to start playing Heroclix. I currently have more fun playing Heroclix than any other game!

A local store is probably the best place to start, but everything is available online. And don't worry about asking silly questions, there are a few (okay, a lot of) odd rules.

You might find a Starter on eBay, either get the TMNT or Civil War starter as they are the newest and have the most recent rules and PAC.

Failing that all the rules and the PAC can be downloaded from Heroclix.com

IMPORTANT: Get the PAC (Powers and Abilities Card)

Maps can be bought cheaply on eBay and old ones are still useable.

As for the sets, the recent Uncanny X-Men and Superior Foes of Spider-Man were great sets.

What do you need?
A Map
Several six-sided dice
Some tokens (poker chips are good, and there are official ones available)
Some Heroclix

What is available?
Starter set
Usually comes with 6 figures, a map and the rules.

Fast Forces
Usually includes 6 figures.  The older Fast Forces also included a map, current ones don't.

Heroclix Boosters
These are the regular boosters of 5 random figures. 

Counter-top display and Gravity Feeds
Smaller sets sold in single boosters.

Limited Edition figures
These can be Monthly Organised Play kits (OP Kits), Prize figures, Convention Exclusives and the occasional retail figures and scenario packs.

Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Hogan
Portugal
Lisbon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys,

Thank you so much for all your help.

I'll have all this in mind when thinking if starting now or early next year.

If anyone has any other suggestions please do add them below,

Thanks,

Have a great weekend,

João

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.