1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

A Feast for Odin» Forums » General

Subject: Feast for Odin weekly solo competition. Now playing: "Take A Hike" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Welcome to the competition! First, the rules. There are several but they are simple. I'll try not to be too strict since this is a friendly competition.

COMPETITION RULES
========================

1. (Common Sense) Be respectful of other players. If you think someone misplayed a rule, feel free to PM them and ask politely, but try not to cause drama in the thread.

2. (Common Sense) Be a good sport. Some people are very good at the game, and others like me can struggle to get high scores. Joking about someone who often wins is fine, but being negative and complaining about them is bad. If you win, helping others improve is fine, but taunting is bad.

3. (Common Sense) Have fun! Don't burn yourself out. Skip several weeks if you want. This is a competition and community to explore various aspects of the game, and that should be enjoyable.

4. (Rule) Competitions run from 11:59 p.m. Sunday EST (GMT-5) to 11:59 p.m. Sunday EST (GMT-5) one week later. That's my timezone and I'm organizing this, so I'm being selfish about it. arrrh You can go to a website like this to see EST: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/usa/new-york

5. (Rule) There are no formal prizes. This should hopefully discourage cheating and accusations of cheating.

6. (Rule) Everyone plays the long solo game. This is the full, 7-round game.

7. (Rule) Please only make one "FINAL ENTRY" post. DO NOT EDIT IT. I might not notice your edit, and the entry is supposed to be final. Worst case, you can always try again next week. Post about your scores and discuss the scenario during the week all you want, as long as you do not post "FINAL ENTRY".

8. (Rule) You must include your highest score. You may include your scoreboard, a picture of your boards so people can admire and learn, comments about your progress and strategies, etc. These are nice but not required. Play as many games as you want during the week, and take the highest score.

9. (Rule) You may also, optionally, do the special "blind challenge" on your first game each week. This is an honor system challenge where you only reveal occupation cards when you actually need them, instead of looking ahead. Once you finish the blind challenge, you can play more to get a better score for the normal challenge, or you can simply count your blind score for both.

10. (Rule) You must make a "FINAL ENTRY" GeekList post any time during the week for me to record your score. You can post "I'm in" and discuss the scenario but it's not required. The GeekList link is in the Scenario list below. Please use the template described in the GeekList.

11. (Rule) You can play every week, but only win one week in a row. If you won blind one week, and you have the highest normal score next week, you won't be declared the "winner" the second week. This is just to keep things fresh and give others a fighting chance.

Current scenario:
=================
Rules
Entries

Previous scenarios:
===================
All old scenarios can be found on https://viking.000webhostapp.com/scenarios/index.html or on BoardGameGeek as linked below:

Scenario 1: "Back to Basics"
Rules
Entries
Scores

Scenario 2: "Not So Crafty After All"
Rules
Entries
Scores

Scenario 3: "I Hope That Wasn't Still Shrink-Wrapped"
Rules
Entries
Scores

Scenario 4: "Hiring Freeze"
Rules
Entries
Scores

Scenario 5: "Viking Thanksgiving"
Rules
Entries
Scores

Old first post below for historical purposes
===================================================
I thought this would be a fun idea if there is any interest. I would like to use this thread to organize a competition for the solo mode with different restrictions each week.

Since the game has so much possible variation, I intend to pick specific occupation cards that all players must use as their starting occupation and draw deck, in order. For example, 1 starting occupation and a deck of 10 normal occupations. Some weeks, players might get to choose between starting occupations. Some weeks, I might pick themed occupations instead of random. Some weeks, certain mechanics might be restricted ("no exploration boards" or "no emigration").

Then, everyone can play as much as they want during the week and post high scores at the end. Pictures of the result are encouraged but NOT necessary. I'd really like to maintain a friendly atmosphere with no incentive to cheat or accuse others of cheating, so I'm not intending to do any prize for the winner besides your own sense of accomplishment. Of course, people are free to donate 1.00 GeekGold to the winner or something if they want.

Does this sound fun to anyone else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Proud writer for iSlayTheDragon
badge
mb
Re: Feast for Odin weekly solo competition
I would love to participate in this! Let me know if you want any help or input on fun scenarios to run. I'm sure the Low Player Count guys would be interested as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
Sounds Awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nanthachack
United States
Freehold
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Unsorted components are unwelcome.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dotKeller wrote:
I would love to participate in this! Let me know if you want any help or input on fun scenarios to run. I'm sure the Low Player Count guys would be interested as well.

Good call, thanks! I'll check with Together We Game Alone too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Downum
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am definitely in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van M.
Netherlands
Tilburg
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea. I don't have the game yet, but it is on its way. Can't wait to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would definitely be interested if it was available. As of now it's out of stock at CSI, MM etc. I won't pay $120 what they are asking for on Amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Because Andrew Brooks will destroy us all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cat Five
United States
Monterey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be happy to lose to every last one of you.

Bring it on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SgtTenor wrote:
I would definitely be interested if it was available. As of now it's out of stock at CSI, MM etc. I won't pay $120 what they are asking for on Amazon.

Definitely. No one should have to pay that much. I'm planning to run this for quite a while, so those who get the game from future prints can still participate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
* J *
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good, I am sure I will score at least 50.blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love this too.. But i wont be able to join until after christmas... My copy is being held for a christmas gift.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm in.

And I admit, I think Andrew is going to win...and I haven't even played with him! Rumours of his 130's abound!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dobby
msg tools
Hopefully this will help me break my very low ceiling of 80 points haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
travisdhill wrote:
No.

Because Andrew Brooks will destroy us all.

Ha, you just have to do a timed challenge and then I'll lose real bad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Peacock
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll play Caverna and Patchwork Solo simultaneously and add up my score from both game to compare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yvo Fillekers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Ok great. I am in!!!!

But I don't know if I can do this every week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yvof wrote:
Ok great. I am in!!!!

But I don't know if I can do this every week.

That's fine of course. If people get bored I could do every two weeks as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob van Dalen
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great initiative, it sounds like fun
I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m p
England
flag msg tools
Sounds good, I'd play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rules have been added to the OP. It took me far too long to puzzle out some details about the website, but it works and should be reasonably desktop/mobile friendly.

Scenario 1: Back to Basics
====================================
Ends Sunday at midnight EDT (GMT -4)
====================================

Let's start with a basic warmup. For this scenario, dice rolls are random and weapon decks are random. 1 starting occupation and a deck of 10 normal occupations have been selected for everyone.

1. Draw your starting bow, spear, snare, and mead.
2. Shuffle your weapon deck.
3. Visit here to receive your starting occupation: https://viking.000webhostapp.com/scenarios/1.html
4. If you are doing the blind challenge, click "Reveal Next Card" whenever you need to draw an occupation card.
5. Otherwise, click "Reveal All". The top of the list is the top of your deck.

Let me know if there are any questions, and good luck! I may be busy for a day or two but I will try to watch the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Very cool! Are you going to start a separate thread/geeklist for each game? I think a Geeklist where you can add entries for each/best play would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dotKeller wrote:
Very cool! Are you going to start a separate thread/geeklist for each game? I think a Geeklist where you can add entries for each/best play would be great.

I didn't want to spam the forum with new threads too often. Good point, a Geeklist might be perfect. I've never made one so I didn't think of it. I'll try to post one in a day or two and update the rules to reference that for final entries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
I didn't want to spam the forum with new threads too often. Good point, a Geeklist might be perfect. I've never made one so I didn't think of it. I'll try to post one in a day or two and update the rules to reference that for final entries.

Here's a solo game thread from Fields of Arle that you can check out. Something like that would work well I think.

Solo Fields of Arle End-Game Pictures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.