$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 82.76

5,512 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
34.7% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Conan» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few rules questions I didn't find rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After our first 2 sessions, I have a few questions I didn't find on the first couple pages of the forums.

1. Why do Characters have River cards?
2. What are the round tokens for with the Heads of the characters?
3. How does a character get different spells? Hadrathaus was assigned spells in the first scenario...but the Pict Shaman wasn't, despite having the Spells ability.
4. Does it take any gems (interact?) to lift the princess?
5. My Overlord lamented that his hyena's really couldn't damage Conan (leather armor). True??
6. The Turn track starts with 0. The first scenario ends on 8. The turn marker moves on the Overlords turn. The turn marker was on 7 and my characters were on the last space before exiting the board. I thought I had one more turn, but the Overlord claimed I was out of turns because the marker shifted to turn 8...and the PC's go first. Was he right or should I have gotten one more turn

Thanks,

Arkobla
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkobla Conn wrote:
After our first 2 sessions, I have a few questions I didn't find on the first couple pages of the forums.

1. Why do Characters have River cards?
2. What are the round tokens for with the Heads of the characters?
3. How does a character get different spells? Hadrathaus was assigned spells in the first scenario...but the Pict Shaman wasn't, despite having the Spells ability.
4. Does it take any gems (interact?) to lift the princess?
5. My Overlord lamented that his hyena's really couldn't damage Conan (leather armor). True??
6. The Turn track starts with 0. The first scenario ends on 8. The turn marker moves on the Overlords turn. The turn marker was on 7 and my characters were on the last space before exiting the board. I thought I had one more turn, but the Overlord claimed I was out of turns because the marker shifted to turn 8...and the PC's go first. Was he right or should I have gotten one more turn

Thanks,

Arkobla

1. Sorry, I don't understand this question ?

2. To count their life points on the turn track.

3. The scenario states who's got spells and which kind of spells. Zogar Sag has NO spell in the 1st scenario.

4. You need 1 gem in the manipulation box to lift the princess (she's 6 encumbrance - 0 armor and 1 life point).

5. The leather armor allows to throw 1 yellow die even if you don't do an active defense. So Hyenas can damage Conan if he's only using is passive defense. If he defends himself with 1 gem, he can throw 1 orange die + 1 yellow die (active bonus of the shield) + 1 yellow die (passive armor bonus).
Purpose of this scenario is not only to kill Heroes, but to force'em to spend gems and to block'em...Time is on OL side.

6. The heroes play 9 times and the OL 8 times. One turn is always the OL playing 1st. So if the heroes start, they play 1 more time than the OL and game ends when each camp played the turn number 8.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donato
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding your last question. It is my understanding that the Heroes get the last (8th) turn so they can make one last heroic effort.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Arkobla Conn wrote:
1. Why do Characters have River cards?


I think you are referring to a stretch goal which provided OL tiles for the heroes and player boards for some of the main OL characters. This allows you to play the game in reverse with an OL controlling the heroes instead. However, we currently have no scenarios written to use these.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet on the turns...all other questions answered...

to clarify question 1.


the Overlord has cards for the River. Why do the hero characters have these cards? Will they ever be used in the river? Do they have info that the Large character cards (that are used with gems) doesn't have??

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
multifish wrote:
Arkobla Conn wrote:
1. Why do Characters have River cards?


I think you are referring to a stretch goal which provided OL tiles for the heroes and player boards for some of the main OL characters. This allows you to play the game in reverse with an OL controlling the heroes instead. However, we currently have no scenarios written to use these.

THX...was not sure of the meaning of the question.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
multifish wrote:
Arkobla Conn wrote:
1. Why do Characters have River cards?


I think you are referring to a stretch goal which provided OL tiles for the heroes and player boards for some of the main OL characters. This allows you to play the game in reverse with an OL controlling the heroes instead. However, we currently have no scenarios written to use these.


Thanks!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkobla Conn wrote:
multifish wrote:
Arkobla Conn wrote:
1. Why do Characters have River cards?


I think you are referring to a stretch goal which provided OL tiles for the heroes and player boards for some of the main OL characters. This allows you to play the game in reverse with an OL controlling the heroes instead. However, we currently have no scenarios written to use these.


Thanks!


There are also hero boards for several of the villains to complete the idea of "reverse scenarios" where the Overlord controls a group of heroes and the hero players each play as a villain.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkobla Conn wrote:


5. The leather armor allows to throw 1 yellow die even if you don't do an active defense. So Hyenas can damage Conan if he's only using is passive defense. If he defends himself with 1 gem, he can throw 1 orange die + 1 yellow die (active bonus of the shield) + 1 yellow die (passive armor bonus).
Purpose of this scenario is not only to kill Heroes, but to force'em to spend gems and to block'em...Time is on OL side.



Is this correct? Rules say you can't use the shield in a fight and can only use one of these options to defend with?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Major Mishap wrote:
Arkobla Conn wrote:


5. The leather armor allows to throw 1 yellow die even if you don't do an active defense. So Hyenas can damage Conan if he's only using is passive defense. If he defends himself with 1 gem, he can throw 1 orange die + 1 yellow die (active bonus of the shield) + 1 yellow die (passive armor bonus).
Purpose of this scenario is not only to kill Heroes, but to force'em to spend gems and to block'em...Time is on OL side.



Is this correct? Rules say you can't use the shield in a fight and can only use one of these options to defend with?

No, when you are attacked :
- you can do nothing and take all the damages,
- or you can do an active defense, rolling the number of dice given by the number of gems you put in defense (color of dice is indicated on the defense box of the hero sheet).

If you've got a passive defense (like an armor) :
- If you do nothing, you only roll the die given by the armor.
- If you do an active defense, you roll the number of dice given by the number of gems you put in defense + the die of the armor (passive defense).

If you've got a passive defense (armor) and a shield or a weapon that gives a bonus defense die :
- If you do nothing, you only roll the die given by the armor.
- If you do an active defense, you roll the number of dice given by the number of gems you put in defense + the bonus die given by the shield or the weapon + the die of the armor (passive defense).

Remembering that weapons with defense bonus die can only be used to defend (parry) against melee attack and not against ranged and area attacks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvo Calvo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pallantides wrote:
[q="Major Mishap"][q="Arkobla Conn"]


Remembering that weapons with defense bonus die can only be used to defend (parry) against melee attack and not against ranged and area attacks.


...and not against spells atacks... ¿Right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calvoroso wrote:
Pallantides wrote:
[q="Major Mishap"][q="Arkobla Conn"]


Remembering that weapons with defense bonus die can only be used to defend (parry) against melee attack and not against ranged and area attacks.


...and not against spells atacks... ¿Right?


Rules do not say you can use a shield in a melee attack though, which is plain stupid if they can't, so guess its a printed error then?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Major Mishap wrote:
Rules do not say you can use a shield in a melee attack though, which is plain stupid if they can't, so guess its a printed error then?

You can't use a shield to attack, only to defend (shield icon on the shield card). It gives you a bonus die when you do an active defense.

For the weapons, some of them allow a bonus die in defense (shield icon on the weapon card) but only against melee attacks and not against ranged or areas attack.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calvoroso wrote:
Pallantides wrote:
[q="Major Mishap"][q="Arkobla Conn"]


Remembering that weapons with defense bonus die can only be used to defend (parry) against melee attack and not against ranged and area attacks.


...and not against spells atacks... ¿Right?

Yes, some spells are considerate as area attacks and others as ranged.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.