Subject: Expansion Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Bohm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played Dungeon Petz a few times now (and absolutely loving it), I am considering getting the expansion. Read/watched some reviews, but just a few questions:

1. Does anyone think the game is better without the expansion?

2. How does the game play if you just add the new cages, add-ons, and petz, without the dark alley game board?

3. Has anyone taught this game to new players and included the expansion? Did it go over well or is that a recipe for disaster?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The expansion makes the game heavier. I wouldn't call it better or worse, unless (a) I was really not up for the extra brain-burn, in which case playing with the expansion would be a mistake, or (b) I was playing 2p, where I think the expansion is mandatory.

2. You can do it, but without the industrial district and the black market, you have less room for error with difficult pets, so there may be extra demand for base-game pets. On the other hand, removing the accessory shop slightly decreases the value of base-game pets because you lose ways to pump them up when you need to, so maybe it balances out? If you do it, I would strongly recommend using the 'full' rules from the base game, particularly the double needs variant. (Double needs reduces the impact of lucky draws; I suspect, though I'm not sure, that adding the new petz without the Dark Alleys board will increase the luck factor slightly.)

3. I did it once, with two experienced players and one new player (albeit with lots of gaming experience). The game went extra slow, but the newbie won, so apparently it was not too much for her. But teaching both the base game and the expansion at the same time was a slog for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. I can take or leave the Dark Alleys and new artifacts, but...

2. ...I love the new cages, add-ons, and pets. I don't think I'll ever play without them again, except...

3. ... with new players. I think the cages and add-ons can be mixed in, but that's not needed - the base is rich enough without it. I think my main concern is whether the game instructor can effectively teach the base game by itself, which is a challenge; if not, adding the expansion would make it disastrous. Even if they can, you are adding more to what already is a quite long instruction time. In contrast, I'm fine with including Dungeon Lords expansion with newbs because the bulk of the instruction is in the dungeon puzzle aspect, which doesn't change (except for bards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love it. I can't imagine taking the expansion out.

The game plays fine with just the new cages, petz, lords, but it is actually a tad harder that way. The Dark Alley board adds more rules though, so you have to decide between more rules or easier game to some degree.

One downside, and I don't mind but some might, is that I never have memorized what the new petz do. Each time I have to reference the back of the book and tell people what they do, but once I tell them, no one usually forgets because then the icons make sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Dorward
Canada
flag msg tools
grasa_total wrote:
1. The expansion makes the game heavier. I wouldn't call it better or worse, unless (a) I was really not up for the extra brain-burn, in which case playing with the expansion would be a mistake, or (b) I was playing 2p, where I think the expansion is mandatory.

Just got the expansion, haven't got it to the table yet. Just curious: why's it so crucial to the 2p version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate Dorward wrote:
Just got the expansion, haven't got it to the table yet. Just curious: why's it so crucial to the 2p version?

In my experience, players in a 2p without the expansion get locked into a sales cadence early on; the middle rounds mostly don't include viable moments to sell a pet earlier, or hold on to it longer, than the 'natural' selling point. The wider variety of strategies in Dark Alleys allows for more creative disaster-recovery and opportunity-exploitation.

That said, my experience only consists of 2 or 3 two-player games, so perhaps I shouldn't be so confident. The feeling of having no choice about when to sell was very strong in those games, and hasn't felt like a factor in any of my 3p or 4p games, nor in my 2p expansion games, but there *could* have been some other factor at play. On the other hand, it was more consistent than I expect that kind of thing to be when it's a fluke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Dorward
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks--that's very helpful. I've so far found Dungeon Petz strategy rather more elusive than Dungeon Lords strategy, largely because of the flexible bidding system. With DL's fixed order of actions and fixed number of minions, I merely need to look at what other people need, the first player token, and upcoming events to figure out what to do; with DP I'm always tripping up over whether to send lots of small groups or a few big ones..... I suspect that (e.g.) having more productive things to DO with groups when you have guessed other players' intentions wrong would make play a lot less frustrating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.