Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must have missed something, or maybe it's been sadly too long since I've played last... but it's been confusing me why the Ghosts have a lower overkill than their base-health. Every other monster has had a higher overkill value. Is this just to show that there is no overkill but they still accumulate damage, unlike the Zombies? That would make sense, but I don't know why they wouldn't make the numbers the same in that case.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can overkill them. They are just a rare monster that has lower overkill than base wounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a nice design space. There's no inherit reason overkill needs to be higher than health as health wounds accumulate versus overkill which is a one-time damage value. So ghosts can be killed immediately by taking a certain amount of wounds less than the total damage they can accumulate over time. So pinging them with small attacks will take longer than hitting them a single larger damage attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hunh, okay I guess that makes sense. Though would you ever not overkill them then! If their overkill is 3 and their hp is 4, if I did 1 damage to them on one attack, and then did 2 more on the next attack, they'd be overkilled without reaching their base hp?

If I did two more damage, going over overkill, but hitting their base hp, would that not count as an overkill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you do overkill if you deal that many wound in one attack.

Using Ghost with 3 overkill, 4 health as an example, you will do overkill if you deal 3 wounds in one attack to the ghost. If you do 1, then 2, it means the ghost still has 1 health left (4-1-2). No overkill is done to the ghost.

Ghosts having lower overkill number means that compared to other monsters, ghost are weaker against one strong attack (lower overkill value) but more resistant against weaker attacks (higher health value).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TyDeL wrote:
If their overkill is 3 and their hp is 4, if I did 1 damage to them on one attack, and then did 2 more on the next attack, they'd be overkilled without reaching their base hp?

To overkill, you have to do the damage in "one blow".
Overkilled monsters also don't get to do their payback attack.

If three different models do 1 damage the model would not die because it has 4 HP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see! That makes sense, thanks guys, that was the missing link.

Is overkill always that much damage in one hit? I wonder if I've been playing that rule wrong this whole time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TyDeL wrote:
I see! That makes sense, thanks guys, that was the missing link.

Is overkill always that much damage in one hit? I wonder if I've been playing that rule wrong this whole time...

Yes, overkill is always "do this amount of damage (or more) in one hit".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.