Subject: Social Diversity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
My old group was very diverse. Three black guys and three white guys and a woman. How socially diverse is your gaming group?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't matter in the slightest. We have friends that like to game together. Outside of that, nothing really matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Williams
United States
Lake Mary
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monogeek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Pacheco
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
My old group was very diverse. Three black guys and three white guys and a woman. How socially diverse is your gaming group?

Again... congratulations? Did you specifically form your group based on these characteristics or did it happen naturally? Does it affect your gaming in any way?

More importantly, is the woman in the group black or white (or something else)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Topanga wrote:
GeoffreyB wrote:

Again... congratulations? Did you specifically form your group based on these characteristics or did it happen naturally? Does it affect your gaming in any way?

More importantly, is the woman in the group black or white (or something else)?

Hahahaha!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damn dude, please take race out of this so we can talk about how socially deserve we are

When I brought my girlfriend to game with us she laughed out loud when we left because we are near clones of each other socially. Not all that surprising though since we've been gaming since high school.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get it.

This is the same guy that asked about educational breakdown of groups in another thread.

I think he is having us on on a boring Monday afternoon.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the area we live in, our group is almost all white Americans and around half female.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we had a female play in our group once. A FEMALE (!). Can you believe it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
I'm fairly sure we're all members of the same species, but I don't want to check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:

Is "social diversity" even a thing or in this case the correct term?
You seem to be talking about race/skin clour/ethnicity and sex (or gender?) here?

The people i game with are mostly college educated, almost 50/50 gender/sex distibution (more men then women actually due to a higher count of gay men than lesbians), some gays, sometimes some lesbians (but that's it with the LGBT crowd), mostly white/caucasian/european, politically more left or center, some vegetarians (but no strict vegans), mostly atheist or non-religious, some catholics, also some crossfit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Power
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
My clue's pointing this way...
mbmbmbmbmb
5 Gryffindor
6 Ravenclaw
2 Slytherin
0 Hufflepuffs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I wasn't trying to stereotype anyone. I was just curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6 Eurogamers, 4 AmeriTrashers, 2 Grognards, 1 (lonely) Party Gamer, and 1 guy who keeps trying to get
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Couldn't think of a funny enough game title
on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group is not very diverse at all; it turns out we're all gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the people with whom I game have a wide educational, socio-economic, nationality, religious, and cultural diversity. I don't really give it much thought, as they are just people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paradox Games
msg tools
I don't care whether or not our gamers are diverse or not. We just welcome all and don't concern ourselves about these things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My regular group is pretty diverse.

A hardcore competitive euro gamer

A table top miniature cooperative nut

An ameritrash worshiper (I swear he would play Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) daily.)

A chit crazed grognard

And a worshiper of the deck builders of all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
GeoffreyB wrote:

Is "social diversity" even a thing or in this case the correct term?
You seem to be talking about race/skin clour/ethnicity and sex (or gender?) here?

They taught him some funny things in PhD school.

The social skills of my gaming group vary quite a lot, but the most skilled is a 42.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Irrelevant and politically loaded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marcnelsonjr wrote:
Like the area we live in, our group is almost all white Americans and around half female.

am I the only person who read this as "half female" like the way some characters are "half-elf" and then wondered what the other half was?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
United States
State of Mind
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yo, Dawg, I heard you like diversity while you game, so we got you three different diversity threads so you can diversify your response on diversity among a diverse group of gamers while you create a diversion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Should you avoid playing solo because it's too exclusive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iori Yagami
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just pointing the obvious - game mechanics are not really classifying anyone, it's just people sticking to those mechanics they saw first, get accustomed to, spend minimal effort on processing and THEREFORE 'like that type of game'.
Also, any 'odd' or 'fancy' hobby will be positively correlate with higher education (exposure to stuff and desire to learn new things), open-mindedness (overcoming initial prejudices like 'eh, colourful kiddie game, better do something more "normal" '), technical, managerial jobs (not getting put off by minutia digging and intense attention to detail).
That's my $0.02 of armchair 'look ma I'm can do psychology' stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osiris Saline
Australia
Red Hill
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
Iori_Yagami wrote:

Also, any 'odd' or 'fancy' hobby will be positively correlate with higher education (exposure to stuff and desire to learn new things), open-mindedness (overcoming initial prejudices like 'eh, colourful kiddie game, better do something more "normal" '), technical, managerial jobs (not getting put off by minutia digging and intense attention to detail).
That's my $0.02 of armchair 'look ma I'm can do psychology' stuff.

I don't think that's true at all.

Using higher education as a marker of who's more clued into the world is such a weird view, people can learn without letters next to their name on their ID, particularly in social terms.

Plus, given how many gamers outright say they despise playing games which remind them of their work responsibilities...

Gamers are as varied as your own views & friendship circles, if you're open to people, can explain stuff without relying on marks of income/education level (seriously, it's such an accidental political prejudice thing it's maddening), then you'll draw in more people.

If you hang around and play games with people who are similar to you/work the exact same job type/have done for years, then of course there's going to be no variety of people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.