Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Digital counters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan G
msg tools
Does anyone know of some relatively cheap digital counters to use for board games.

I just like the idea of each player having a small counter to use in lieu of using game currency especially when dealing with making change and different values, for certain games it could really speed things up.

I was thinking about just buying some small calculators, but I would love something with a led display large enough for other players to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you may be surprised at the utility of a counter vs currency. I was previously researching this and it came back that there is much more support out there for currency than just have totals.

By having a counter your shifting the processing from needing to count totals to needing to do the math for each interaction with each total.

For example, I need to pay you $5. With currency I just hand you $5, typically a chip or a single bill. Even if was $4 the most processing that needs to be done is one player counting up to 4.
With the counters I would have to subtract 4 and you would have to add 4. Not only does that double the thought needed from 1 player to 2 players but it also leaves you without the ability to double check
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kinda agree with the person above but now want a game where score or money or something is kept track of with "golf counters" so you can push the button every time there's a point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malek1 wrote:
Does anyone know of some relatively cheap digital counters to use for board games.

I just like the idea of each player having a small counter to use in lieu of using game currency especially when dealing with making change and different values, for certain games it could really speed things up.

I was thinking about just buying some small calculators, but I would love something with a led display large enough for other players to see.

What platforms/operating systems? Android? iOS? If you've got a laptop/Chromebook, using a spreadsheet program like Excel should do in a pinch, even if not ideal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan G
msg tools
I appreciate the feedback.

Specifically Im talking about the board game terraforming mars.

Each player has a amount of credits that fluctuates each turn. You also have multiple sources of income that all need to be added together, then drawn from the "Bank"

Then when you pay for cards, you use your stash, however the cards are not in intervals of 5, so there is a lot of change making.

I was just thinking that having counters to handle your personal "bank" could shave a bit off the process of buying things and trading things. I understand where Maf is coming from, however in a game where there is very little exchange of currency between players, I feel like going digital could save some time.

Probably not a lot of time saving, but if you are playing a 2-3 hour game, shaving 20 minutes off is pretty big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malek1 wrote:
Probably not a lot of time saving, but if you are playing a 2-3 hour game, shaving 20 minutes off is pretty big.

Improving the game is always worth a second thought.

I've looked it up occasionally but I don't really know terraforming mars. Could you give an example of a turn's transactions?

The way I imagine this thing is you have a turn where you add and subtract for differnt actions during your turn. The ability to see what you had, will have, and what is in transition all at once is something having physical currancey can do over the single number given to you with a counter.

All of it is just so situational though too not only to the game but to the players. Last time I was taking through a similar topic was :
using a standard deck of cards to keep track of money
not the same points but may give you some more insight.
Also the game Urban Sprawl, if you can try that game out you might have some differnt ideas. Its a game where you have to be constantly updating totals. Its all very easy math but the number of times you need to recalculate it actually would waste more time trying to keep track of it all. Again not exactly what your thinking about but a great different perspective.

more on point, I wasn't willing to try this yet ($5 a pop is too steep for me when I would still have the battle of convincing my friends to try it) but I think what your hoping for is better referred to as "tally counters"
https://www.amazon.com/GOGO-Digital-Counter-Electronic-Click...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.