Popular Tags: [View All]
Paolo Marchiodi
Italy
Bolzano
(BZ)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
If anyone is out there that plays ironclads and ether flyers I have a few question for him/her. So... thanks in advance.
Reading through the rules i was faszinated by the possibility of designing new ships or flyers. I was just wondering if there are some special rules that apply if a "submarine" model is designed. The rules are only generic for surface ships. I mean are there some limitation or restriction/special rules that must be applied to the stats of a subamrine?

Many thanks,

Paolo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dávid Tóth
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello

I don't think there are any special criteria you must follow, since the beautiful thing in Space: 1889 is that you can design an underwater Yamato, provided you can explain it with bad victorian science.
If you want to keep it 'realistic', then I suggest you look at the handful subs that Britain, Germany and France uses. They are generally very small (Hs: 1), and die from only one hit (MS: (1)). They only have one speed rating though. I think you could assign two speed ratings, one for surfaced, the other for submerged travel.
I don't know how much this helps, but I would just follow common sense.

Cheers,
David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Marchiodi
Italy
Bolzano
(BZ)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
first of all thank you so much for your reply. I was worried that nobody out there is appreciating any more this wonderful ruleset, that I found just for chance.
My question came from the reflection that there should be a sort of "weakness" in giving a ship the feature of diving capability. If it wouldn't be so than you could give every battleship such a feature.
The double speed ratings are a great idea. I thought there could be another addition in having electric engines (so you need to give the boat double engines) and maybe a limited range under water. Just thinking how to simulate it....

The idea was to build a sort of big submarine with multiple torpedo tubes, no ultraship, but a “victorian age” nautilus with torpedoes and realistic submerged features.

This great ruleset is a real hidden gem. It is so strange that nobody have ever given it a review and there are so few people out there that use them.

Many thanks again,

Paolo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dávid Tóth
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I thought about limiting the time spent underwater, but the core rulebook of the RPG states that a sub can stay submerged for five hours. This is too long to be simulated in battles. But I think it can be simulated in campaigns. You can catch subs while they are recharging on the surface, making them easy prey once in 'battle mode'.
One more idea I have is that once a sub loses a third (or half, depends on what you think would fit) of its hull integrity, it would be forced to surface.
You could also give the torpedoes a horrendously long reload time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.