Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. I've searched all over the forums and cannot find a clarification of this rule.

The Rule: BUILD A COLONY. Take a Build action while at an island without a colony. Then it says a lot about how to do this.

My question is what Guild is the "Take a Build Action" a part of? I'm thinking it would be the Builders Guild, but their action (even on the new player aids we got) says Build a Structure, not just Build. If we do use the Build a Structure action for colonies, does that mean they are a structure and so can be discounted by advisers that discount structures?

What we're leaning towards is the following: 1. Builders Guild is how to build a colony. 2. No, a colony is not a structure, so it wouldn't be discounted by advisers that discount structures.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have been playing it as the build action. I don't follow on how they could discount a colony because it is only built with goods.
There is an advisor
Spoiler (click to reveal)
who lets you pay gold for colonies, but I don't think he has a discount or an open upgrade space. Maybe he does, I don't have the card in front of me. If he does I would allow the discount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ooogene wrote:
What we're leaning towards is the following: 1. Builders Guild is how to build a colony. 2. No, a colony is not a structure, so it wouldn't be discounted by advisers that discount structures.

Yes and yes. That is how we read and understood the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also don't understand what an adviser discount would even mean for building colonies. Since you aren't paying any gold anyway, what good would a reduction in the gold cost be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you take use the builder's guild to build a colony, specifically the "build a structure" action.

No, a colony is not a structure, and doesn't intersect with any abilities that would affect a structure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all. Appreciate the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hando The one
msg tools
Sorry to tack on here but our group is at a similiar stage and have just got Colony building rules 18,19 & 20. It talks about choosing any Colony card once you build but our box didn't have any such cards. Are these in another box which is yet to be revealed or are we missing them ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The colony cards should indeed be in the same box as the rules for building colonies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Chappel
United States
California
flag msg tools
Sibowitz wrote:
Sorry to tack on here but our group is at a similiar stage and have just got Colony building rules 18,19 & 20. It talks about choosing any Colony card once you build but our box didn't have any such cards. Are these in another box which is yet to be revealed or are we missing them ?

The colony cards should have been mixed in with all the new advisors. Check all the new decks you got, the colony cards are likely hiding under the new cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(Box 2 spoiler)
As Doug mentioned, they are packed together with the advisors, and are the same size. They are easily distinguishable by having, among other things, a "fields" spot, as on your province board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
I guess I too will tack on here.

1. We just got the box as well.
When you build a colony, is it "yours"? Should you place an enmity sticker on the card?

2. Will you control it at the start of subsequent games (within the limits of spoilers)?

3. If you activate it during Winter 0, will you receive the gold from harvesting the field immediately, or do you need to keep it active for the year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mxyzptlk wrote:
When you build a colony, is it "yours"? Should you place an enmity sticker on the card?

It's yours until something happens to make it not yours. You don't put a sticker on it, you just keep it with you, the same way you do your leader, advisers, etc.

Quote:
2. Will you control it at the start of subsequent games (within the limits of spoilers)?

Yes.

Quote:
3. If you activate it during Winter 0, will you receive the gold from harvesting the field immediately, or do you need to keep it active for the year?

Harvesting comes before colony activation in the turn sequence.

We thought that you get to harvest whether or not the colony is active. But now I have the impression that's wrong (the rules are completely unclear).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Harvesting comes before colony activation in the turn sequence.

We thought that you get to harvest whether or not the colony is active. But now I have the impression that's wrong (the rules are completely unclear).

Rule 2 says inactive colonies "offer no powers." I read that to mean they do nothing until activated. So, as you noted, they can't possibly harvest gold until the 2nd winter if they are activated in the first winter, which would mean they were built the previous game. It seems like a slow return on investment, but they do stay around forever (within the box 2 rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't call the field a "power". But you probably have correctly interpreted the intention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not receive any part of the benefit for an inactive colony, including harvest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanaël Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So JR could you confirm that means the field of a colony is useless until the next winter ? Even if I activate my colony during the 1st winter I still need to wait for the second winter before getting gold from its field ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Osuniev wrote:
So JR could you confirm that means the field of a colony is useless until the next winter ? Even if I activate my colony during the 1st winter I still need to wait for the second winter before getting gold from its field ?

Surely he just answered this. It's not active when you harvest, so you can't get the income during the first winter. Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.