BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game with animals with puzzle aspect??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey guys

I'm looking for a good kids game for a six year old girl, she's pretty switched on but gets naughty when bored but isn't so used to gaming as my little one who's her best friend at school and has little experience with games.

She loves animals and loves jigsaw puzzles at the mo - is there a good game with animals and if has tile laying type puzzle to it - that would be a bonus. I want a game that's good and will not be just a novelty and short lived and must be fun/interesting. Must also be easy to get going as dont think her mum is used to board games and overly complicated rules with a heavy rule book will just put them off I imagine.

I need to find something quickly - as in ordered tomorrow (hence why I'm here) and for under/around £15 and just can't seem to find something so thought I would try here. I did think about cardline animals because of all the lovel animal pictures but it seems to be hard to get hold of and selling at a high price at the mo.

Not sure if zooleretto will be okay if she's not used to games so much.

THanks heaps in advance :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Animals on Board?

Or Wildlife Safari

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Zooloretto Junior (used to be Zooloretto Mini), it's a simplified version of Zooloretto. My daughter was playing it when she was 6. It's fun for adults too. I like it better than regular Zooloretto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Animal Upon Animal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, the two most obvious ones are Animal Upon Animal and Zooloretto Junior.

I'd also throw out A Fistful of Penguins. Dingo's Dreams could also possibly be worth a look.

EDIT: Also, Hey, That's My Fish! or Mammut may not be a bad idea either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
bortmonkey wrote:

Thanks, I did consider both these two but unsure about the animals on board for non gamers but I can't get either for much less than £25 which is a lot to spend on daughter's school friend lol!

Thank you though, may get wildlife safari for us for a quick game anyway!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mevitale wrote:
I would suggest Zooloretto Junior (used to be Zooloretto Mini), it's a simplified version of Zooloretto. My daughter was playing it when she was 6. It's fun for adults too. I like it better than regular Zooloretto.

Hey, yes I can get zooloretto mini/junior for that price (one left in stock in amazon) but really not sure about this one for a mum and daughter who've never really gone into the realms of board gaming?? is it fun to play and easy to pick up and get into?

Not sure if enough animals????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Doomsword wrote:

Thanks, I've ummedand arhhed over this one but really not sure, my family's notinto dexterity games so much so hard for it to appeal - my daughter and her friend are a little too mature for their age so wondering if they would think this was a bit childish??? Do 7/8 year olds generally like this game?

I'm just being totally indecisive and panicked lol! Just miffed I can't get cardline animals I suppose lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaggyUK wrote:
mevitale wrote:

Hey, yes I can get zooloretto mini/junior for that price (one left in stock in amazon) but really not sure about this one for a mum and daughter who've never really gone into the realms of board gaming?? is it fun to play and easy to pick up and get into?

You're building your own zoo, so there are lots of animals. It's incredibly light, so non-gamers should be able to pick it up very easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaggyUK wrote:
mevitale wrote:

I think it is fun and nice to build your own zoo. The set up is a little fiddly because you have to remove some animals for different player counts. I think if you played it with them, they should catch on no problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmb
SaggyUK wrote:
Do 7/8 year olds generally like this game?

Haha, my friend group of graduate students liked that game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
swirlsaepi wrote:

I'd also throw out A Fistful of Penguins. Dingo's Dreams could also possibly be worth a look.

Hey thanks, a fistful of penguins looks okay but I think they wouldn't be able to add up the possible dice scores to weigh up options quickly enough to make a decision and make it a painfully slow game. Dingo's dreams is a possibility - my daughter would like this though as she likes labyrinth :-)

Hey that's my fish really annoys me as just too fiddly so wouldn't buy it for anyone else although the game's not that bad and mammut is ut of the question as can't get it for less that £45!

Thanks though, some more possibilities to chew over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
snapdragon23 wrote:
SaggyUK wrote:
Do 7/8 year olds generally like this game?

Haha, my friend group of graduate students liked that game...

Okay, thanks, I suppose this would be a safe option lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mevitale wrote:

I think it is fun and nice to build your own zoo. The set up is a little fiddly because you have to remove some animals for different player counts. I think if you played it with them, they should catch on no problem.

I don't think I will get the chance to play it with them first so a little worried lol! Okay, I'm going to chew over it and decide in the morning. THanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaggyUK wrote:
mevitale wrote:

I don't think I will get the chance to play it with them first so a little worried lol! Okay, I'm going to chew over it and decide in the morning. THanks again

I don't think it's too bad. It's hard to view it from a new-to-games perspective. Here is a direct link to the rules: http://www.zooloretto.com/p/zooloMiniUS.pdf . Maybe it will help you decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't know about the age aspect, but otherwise the brand-new Habitats is what you ask for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d suggest Ohne Haufen, dumm gelaufen, but I´m affriad it is not available in the UK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sugar Gliders
Looked at this for myself and GF, but wondered if it looked to simple for us since we game quite a bit. So for a 6 year old it might be just right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaggyUK wrote:
swirlsaepi wrote:

Hey thanks, a fistful of penguins looks okay but I think they wouldn't be able to add up the possible dice scores to weigh up options quickly enough to make a decision and make it a painfully slow game. Dingo's dreams is a possibility - my daughter would like this though as she likes labyrinth :-)

Hey that's my fish really annoys me as just too fiddly so wouldn't buy it for anyone else although the game's not that bad and mammut is ut of the question as can't get it for less that £45!

Thanks though, some more possibilities to chew over.

I have an opened but never played copy of Mammut up for sale. I gotta think it would be cheaper than £45 to send it to your side of the pond. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
TimTix wrote:
Don't know about the age aspect, but otherwise the brand-new Habitats is what you ask for.

Yeah not bad but doesn't look like I can get it over here any time soon. THanks though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Markus Hagenauer wrote:
I´d suggest Ohne Haufen, dumm gelaufen, but I´m affriad it is not available in the UK.

THanks, I can get it on amazon actually but I can't find much about the game at all and no vids to watch and not really keen on getting games until I see these things to know how they play. Thank you though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
cmdaltgamer wrote:
Sugar Gliders
Looked at this for myself and GF, but wondered if it looked to simple for us since we game quite a bit. So for a 6 year old it might be just right.

Yeah it does look okay actually but can't seem to get hold of it and amazon say 1-2 months dispatch - eek!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
swirlsaepi wrote:

I have an opened but never played copy of Mammut up for sale. I gotta think it would be cheaper than £45 to send it to your side of the pond. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Aww bless you, many thanks for the offer but not sure on the game though and can't find a video so not sure about it. need the animal game for Thursday mind you lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Oh and also found a game called Mondo which would have been perfect - like a jigsaw puzzle and with animals - but as with anything else I've come up with - it's out of stock everywhere!!! Why is everything out of stock lol!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.