Popular Tags: [View All]
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
Santarém
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello guys.

After playing some 2 player games I have to say this: I absolutely love this game. I love the theme, the artwork, the strategy, the mechanics, the balance... Everything feels right.
With this said, I have come to the conclusion that there are, in my opinion, stronger and weaker Clans in the game. Here's a small analysis of each Clan, with my opinion after a few games, and some different ways I like to play them. Take it with a grain of salt

Clan MacDonnell - Keep for another round
I find this Clan to be the weakest in the whole game. I don't even think that I've ever used its Power. I've only seen it used by my opponent, but nothing too scary came out of it. I think that it's only most useful if you gather some other MacDonnell in your hand for a next round, or maybe activate more than one on a skirmish. Maybe I'm missing something here. Would like to hear from you guys.

Clan Bruce - Any Clan
To me, one of the worst, at least in a 2 player game. Being only 2, they're rare to come by and even harder to activate. On top of that, they can easily be dealt with by using a Wemyss or worse, a Fergusson. I understand why the rulebook advises you not to use them in your first games. Royal Clan? Give me a break...

Clan Forsyth - Draw a card
Just a balanced Clan with a useful Power. I use it when there's nothing better to do, and it's kind of a no-brainer. Usually a better choice than drawing a face-down Recruit. At least you're playing something on the table!

Clan Makgill - Muster another Follower
Another balanced Clan with a Power that can really help your army getting ahead. I like to use it in the later turns of a round, after I've spent some turns managing my hand for the next rounds. Surprise!

Clan Wemyss - Discard another Follower
A really powerful Clan with a strong Power. This can really hurt your oponnent. The best thing is that it can really help you too, by getting rid of one of your Followers from a different Clan than the rest of your Army, allowing you to double your score at the end of the round. Great card to use if you needed to use a different Clan before in order to activate their Power.

Clan Fergusson - Swap with another Follower
A very powerful Clan with a devastating Power. This Clan has many different uses. Probably the most situational and versatile Clan in the game, right up there with Scott. And orange is my colour!

Clan Cochrane - Claim two Supporters
This is one of the best in the whole game. Being able to claim two Supporters is a very powerful ability that can totally turn the tables and change the round or even the whole game(and I've seen that happen in one of my games, due to this bad boy right here). No one likes to see an opponent activate a low Strenght Cochrane. It's that scary!

Clan Scott - Copy another Follower's Power
The best in the game. Being able to copy any Power from another Follower is a devastating ability. Just because it's so versatile and can really help you out when there could be no other way. I save these for the later rounds. Hang on to that 1 Strenght Scott and don't ever let it go! Well, I don't really mean 'never', but you got the point...

Clan Cockburn - Swap with a Supporter
To me the hardest to master. It can be used in two different ways: to make your army stronger or to make your supposed Supporter stronger. Such a risky Power to use, though. And it can be tricky too, if you don't really know what you're doing. Be careful with these guys. They can burn you down.

And there you go.
This is my superficial analysis of every Clan in the game. Would really like to hear some opinions from other players out there. I know you're out there somewhere.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gilbertson
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
... warms my heart to see someone care enough to post a useful analysis of a game that's firmly in my top 20. Thanks for the fine effort my friend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
Santarém
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grim Norsefury wrote:
... warms my heart to see someone care enough to post a useful analysis of a game that's firmly in my top 20. Thanks for the fine effort my friend!

Wow, thank you for the kind words. It really means a lot.
I only got this game last week, but it's already one of my favourites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.