Hide
7 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Question regarding expansions and play order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Lau
msg tools
Hi, I own Eldritch Horror and all up to date expansions. However, I only played the game like 3 times (with forsaken lore) but since I will be having more time next week, i want to start looking into the other expansion. I would still like to play the bosses from the base set as I have yet finish them all. Is it a good idea to add in all the expansion or shall I just stick with forsaken lore for now? Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Crews
United States
California
flag msg tools
I bought all of the expansions after playing 4 times, never looked back. If you know you absolutely love the game, the variety definitely adds a ton in the way of variety and small story elements (like Unique Assets). Ultimately its a decision between you and your wallet, but I'd say the game absolutely gets better as it grows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lau
msg tools
Actually, I own all the expansions. What I wanted to ask was, since I haven't really played the game a lot, will I be too overwhelmed if I add all the expansions together so I should just stick with base and forsaken then progress, or is it actually more fun to mix all expansions together even if playing bosses from older sets? Sorry for my confusing question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, mix them together right away. It doesn't get much more confusing at all, mostly just variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Hristov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
Mix away. I also have all the expansions and it doesn't make it more confusing, just more cards to flip. There are some killer combos that may happen - we had a game where 2 of the investigators died on the first turn (agreement that kills an investigator and mythos card that kills the lead ). But it was still fun.

As for order, I'd say Elder Things seems to be the easiest, at least for me. I've had most problems with Yig and Cthulhu, but I haven't played against the King in Yellow yet, so idk about him.

Either way, the new items / spells somewhat balance the brutality of some of the mythos cards.

Bottom line: Mix away and have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Jansen
Denmark
Kastrup
Amager
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
marskeiko wrote:
Hi, I own Eldritch Horror and all up to date expansions. However, I only played the game like 3 times (with forsaken lore) but since I will be having more time next week, i want to start looking into the other expansion. I would still like to play the bosses from the base set as I have yet finish them all. Is it a good idea to add in all the expansion or shall I just stick with forsaken lore for now? Thanks in advance

This is just my opinion, but not to get overwhelmed I would recommend you trying out the different old ones from the base game first. You get a pretty good flavour of the differences.

When you are ready to move on, I'd recommend playing with either Yig from the Forsaken Lore or Syzygy from Strange Remnants (I don't own Signs of Carcosa yet). I recommend this because I myself was so excited after a total of 5-6 plays that I threw in the Mountains of Madness board and I actually lost my overview. I took a step back and playing with Yig just adding his/it's encounter cards and afterward I played with Syzygy and just adding it's encounter decks and the Mystic Ruins encounter decks (and the Focus tokens, which I still think are awesome!). So adding a little bit all the time, not too much, helped me keeping the overview and don't get overwhelmed and thinking the game was too heavy.

Now I am comfortable playing with new ancient ones and their mechanics, so next play I go with the Mountains of Madness board - but that is after several plays with the base game and the small expansions.

Just my thoughts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Dickinson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably want to stay away from the Sideboard Preludes from the big boxes. Everything else, as already said, adds mostly variety, not complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.