Arcadia Quest» Forums » General

Subject: Only base game dice: how do you handle cries / rerolls rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grand Khan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

I have only the base game plus beyond the grave. It seems that it is impossible to get extra dice in Germany.

So how do you practically keep track of crits / rerolls when you have many more dice to roll than you physically have? I am thinking of using different tokens for crits etc, but I am unsure how to do this most efficiently...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
One person uses his fingers while another rolls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryn Ballard
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbalise the results as you roll. "4 hits, reroll 2 crits ok so that's 5 hits"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tick off the nr of dice rolled and the results on a paper

you can try ordering extra dice from gamesquest in uk, they normally have them and shipping shouldnt be too much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Khan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
tick off the nr of dice rolled and the results on a paper

you can try ordering extra dice from gamesquest in uk, they normally have them and shipping shouldnt be too much

Sadly they don't. I will probably get Inferno when it is translated to German and have extra dice then.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will probably use tokens to replace successful hit dice and keep crits and as many failed dice as I have rerolls. It probably is not a big issue, but when I played last I was really unsure a few times if I had counted everything right. Maybe with some experience it is easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Kennedy
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 3 or 4 player game, have the person to the left of the active player keep track out loud of the hits rolled. You can use guild markers or some other chit as well. Come to think of it, making player's aid chits and tokens wouldn't take but a minute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never bothered to pick up extra dice. We do the same thing that many people have suggested and just count them out loud. EX, First roll; 4 hits. Roll any extra dice that you may not have had enough for, add those to the first roll, then proceed with the number of rerolls that you have available, counting and totaling up the number of hits as you go.

Granted, it would be a lot easier with more dice. I see you mentioned that you were waiting for the translation of AQ:I. Was German not one of the unlocked languages in the Kickstarter? It would have been nice if you were a part of the KS as you could easily add in the extra dice packs from there and have them shipped with your game at no extra cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
I only have the base game too.

After rolling the total dices, we put in a side the impact dices. We take non-used dices (or failures ones) and put them as an impact for each crit we have obtained. Then we reroll the crits, and continue in the same way. For the reroll power, we just keep control with the fingers (but I presume you could control it also just using some of the game tokens, like death tokens).

Regarding extra dices, I think that black dices from base game are enough (except if you want each player to have his/her own dices). But what you certainly will need more are defensive dices (particularly if you are overpowering spike arrrh). For that purpose we just use normal (white) dices: 1 is a shield, 6 is a crit and 2-5 is blank result... and it works very well.
For the price I would pay for extradices I will prefer to buy a filler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Weberup
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Melee 3+, ranged 4+, defense 5+, 6s explode, use original dice only for deployment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
Webbe wrote:
Melee 3+, ranged 4+, defense 5+, 6s explode, use original dice only for deployment.

Could you explain this a little more? I do not understand what you are proposing? wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edugon wrote:
Webbe wrote:

Could you explain this a little more? I do not understand what you are proposing? wow

I believe that he is saying you can use standard dice (d6) instead of special Arcadia Quest ones:

1-3 is Melee (Sword)
4-5 is Ranged (bows)
6 is Crit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Weberup
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bapenrose wrote:
edugon wrote:
Webbe wrote:

I believe that he is saying you can use standard dice (d6) instead of special Arcadia Quest ones:

1-3 is Melee (Sword)
4-5 is Ranged (bows)
6 is Crit

Not exactly.
You use normal dice (something I myself at least own loads of) instead of the dice that's in the game.

Melee attackrolls hits on 3+ meaning 4/6 chance
Ranged attackrolls hits on 4+ meaning 3/6 chance
Defense rolls hits on 5+ meaning 2/6 chance
All types explodes (CRIT in game terms) on 6s meaning you roll an additional die.

Thus you have exactly the same results as rolling the normal attack/defense dice and it's really easy to remember.

For some I assume there is a cool factor with special dice but for me I prefer normal dice unless the special dice are awesome (Descent/Imperial Assault or Blood Bowl for example). I'm not sold on AQ die design. Swords as hits with axes and clubs, bow symbols for slingshots and magic attacks, are not that cool in my book.

Edit: I realize it's not universal for everyone what X+ means with normal dice.
3+ means any roll 3 or above (3, 4, 5 or 6).
4+ means any roll 4 or above (4, 5 or 6).
5+ means any roll 5 or above (5 or 6).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Khan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok I wanted to say thanks to the geeks for all the cool suggestions. I opted to buy empty white / black dice and will write the symbols myself, that is far cheaper than the original dice packs (which are not available anymore anyway).

What a cool game, but they could really have tossed in a few more dice, at the very least in the beyond the grave expansion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Really? Can't you simply make the math in your head?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.