Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got around to finishing the last of the pieces.

They are just hand written, not carved. That is my next target.. a hand-carved set. Might take a while though. Probably end up doing single kanji pieces like they have for shogi.
For the board I bought an old Igo board and sanded it all down to the wood (cheaper than buying the supplies, got it for $5)
Made shogi blank pieces from finds at the recycle shop (thrift store)by sanding off the faces and bought a few blanks online.

All the pieces are to size as well, small pieces for pawns and less important pieces, medium for the inbetween pieces and big for the important pieces.
Then just wrote all the names on the pieces with a brush pen.
Simple and effective.

Here it is:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Peterson
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful. Great job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TPoG
Denmark
flag msg tools
ISBN: 1-85723-146-5
badge
Hmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
jeep wrote:
Beautiful. Great job.

Indeed!

@chrisbogert:
How do the promoted sides of your pieces look like?
Did you use red or black ink?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used black. Couldn't find a bright enough red ink. I could use paint, but unless I carve them, it could rub off.
Most shogi sets use black for the promoted side anyhow. I do prefer the red promoted sides though.
Anyone want a written set like that? PM me.

Right now I'm carving two sets of shogi pieces. Both fairly unique looking. One in the 草書体(grass script calligraphy) with single kanji, like some sets you see. The other set is a 篆書体(seal script) slightly embellished. The second set is on nice boxwood. The first set I'm not quite sure what wood it is, maybe maple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.