Spheres of Influence: Struggle for Global Supremacy» Forums » General

Subject: Playable/enjoyable with 8 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody tried? Worthwhile? Takes too long/too much downtime/limited options due to crowded areas etc?

I am a little bit hesitant to try it with 8 players...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Long, but it really is great.

More players = more conflict, IMHO = more game.

Lots more time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary g
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played a half dozen times with 8 and they are the most memorable battles I've seen. The more the better. I've done 10 before and it is pretty intense. You just get enough forces before everybody turns on eachother. Friendships and cliques will spawn alliances quick and nobody knows who to trust. In one such case I was in an alliance or so I thought with my wife as I went up to go to the bathroom she plotted against me with some neighboring countries and proceeded to nuke me as they moved in. I was so pissed and impressed my wife pulled it off all in the same thought.

Times not too much an issue at least with my casuals. Think I remember my 8P taking about 2 and a half hours. My 10P a little before 3 hours. Perfect time for the amount of players and stuff going on and most of those rounds are in the final 2 Rounds anyways. The game truly shines with a bunch of players, it'll turn into more of a 'party' game I'd say...where battles are the pinnacle of the turns everybody is on pins and needles, everybody is trash talking and trying to egg people on. I love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Rothlisberger
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a few times with 8. It will definitely take longer, but the time still doesn't scale as much as something like Risk. There are two extra turn cards per player, but there are still only so many oil spaces on the board to add extra turns.

There is more conflict more quickly with 8 players which is exciting, also more shifting alliances.

That being said, I prefer the game with 6 players, I think that is just the right amount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I have played with 8, but I have played with 7 and it worked really well. As pointed out, there are only so many oil spaces on the board to add actions each round and with 8 players you even shorten the game an entire round. It's very doable, the game is very elegant and delivers a very epic feeling experience in a very reasonable block of time even with high player counts. Though you do have to account for just the general chaos of having so many gamers involved...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Played two 7-player games on a weekend dedicated to boardgames. The crux of it was that in each game it came down to which three or four players would manage to hold onto two spheres and the most capitals, and typically the attempt to grab a third sphere doomed the player in question (nuclear missile anyone?). The fact that so many players had a shot at winning in the final round gave the game a Euro flavor and kept people invested three hours in.

Starting in Berlin in the second game, I played slow and careful and kept things sweet with my ally in Ankara. Ottawa and Mexico City had locked down the western hemisphere with two spheres apiece. In the final round I held the Western European and North Sea spheres, used Spark Unrest to keep the Canadians from invading the UK, and Conspiracy-ed my turns for last. On his last turn, though, Ankara nuked Berlin from Eastern Europe. My only resort was to march from Scandinvia and take Moscow from him, lowering his capital count so that the Beijing player won with China and South Asia + Astana and Tokyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.