A Most Dangerous Time: Japan in Chaos, 1570-1584» Forums » Rules

Subject: Lots of questions after first play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
So, I played my first game of AMDT and I have lots and lots of questions.

1) When do the Bessho, the Hatano and the Murakami enter play?

2) When the Takeda enter play, how must their troops be placed?

3) Field combat: Azai Asakura (Bravery rating 2) leads 3 soldiers into battle. Does each of these soldiers score hits with 4+ on the die?

4) What happens when troops are being besieged and new troops of that same faction arrive? What happens if there's a combat? Can the newly arrived units enter the castle?

5) In order to put troops inside a castle OOC I need to cut supplies into the space(s) leading into the castle, right?

6) Can the Oda player keep troops in Mt. Hitei and not besiege the castle so as to keep control over his troops on the North?

7) What is the importance of the Shogun? Is it because without him the Anti-Oda player cannot play Betrayal cards until the Takeda arrive? Is it because he gives units more strenght?

8) The Shogun starts as neutral but can try to negotiate to turn troops to his clan? How does that work?

9) In order to negotiate, you need to be in proximity of the troop you want to convert, right? Is the Shogun an exception?

9) What happens if three different clans are in the same space when a combat starts (Eg.Ikko-Ikki and Takeda)? Do all fight at once?

10) Do leaders count towards the regroup limit like any other unit? 10.3 says "He arrives during the Regroup Sequence, either into the Regroup Box or in a friendly space".

11) Do players start with any cards?

Also, any Oda tips would be greatly appreciated

Thank you very much for your answers, this game is great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
So, I played my first game of AMDT and I have lots and lots of questions.

It has been quite a while sense I played this, and even then I was certainly not a rules expert. However, I know the rulebook can be a bit vague on some topics and I don’t know how quickly you’ll receive any other opinions, so I thought I’d toss mine out here.

General_Norris wrote:
1) When do the Bessho, the Hatano and the Murakami enter play?

The Bessho and Hatano are Neutral Clans. They start on the board in their respective areas. See 14.1, the Anit-Oda Faction can split the Bessho Units however he wants between Kakogawa or Miki.

The rules state that the Murikami Clan arrives at the same time as the Ukita and Mori (turn 13 by default). This is on page 21, in the Reinforcements section of 14.1.

General_Norris wrote:

Rules section 11.4, they can be placed in any of the Clan’s controlled spaces.

General_Norris wrote:
3) Field combat: Azai Asakura (Bravery rating 2) leads 3 soldiers into battle. Does each of these soldiers score hits with 4+ on the die?

If your Overall Commander has a Bravery of 2 you receive a +2 to all your combat rolls. So if there were no other modifiers, then yes, you would hit on a 4, 5, or 6.

General_Norris wrote:
4) What happens when troops are being besieged and new troops of that same faction arrive? What happens if there's a combat? Can the newly arrived units enter the castle?

There will be a field battle between the besieging forces and the arriving forces. If the active player wishes, the units under siege can leave the castle to join the fight in the field. Only a field battle will take place, no siege. The units that were in the castle can retreat back to the castle, but the newly arriving units cannot. (This is in the rules, 10.2, step 2.)

General_Norris wrote:
5) In order to put troops inside a castle OOC I need to cut supplies into the space(s) leading into the castle, right?

Troops inside a castle do not suffer the combat effects of being out of communication. See the little red exception at the bottom of page 7. Effectively the units under siege have enough supplies to maintain their strength.

General_Norris wrote:
6) Can the Oda player keep troops in Mt. Hitei and not besiege the castle so as to keep control over his troops on the North?

Yes. This is important bridge to the North.

General_Norris wrote:
7) What is the importance of the Shogun? Is it because without him the Anti-Oda player cannot play Betrayal cards until the Takeda arrive? Is it because he gives units more strenght?

He has the red dot – so he can use his Diplomatic Ability to sway Oda units each turn. In fact he gets the bonus that he can use this ability against any Oda Faction Unit adjacent to any Anti-Oda Faction Unit anywhere on the board.

General_Norris wrote:
8) The Shogun starts as neutral but can try to negotiate to turn troops to his clan? How does that work?

See section 8.3. Normally you have to be adjacent to your target, but the Shogun does not. So he can try to cause one Soldier to switch Clans. If the target Solder is with a Daimyo or Samurai it is harder to sway them, if they are neutral or besieged it becomes easier.

General_Norris wrote:
9) In order to negotiate, you need to be in proximity of the troop you want to convert, right? Is the Shogun an exception?

Correct.

General_Norris wrote:
9) What happens if three different clans are in the same space when a combat starts (Eg.Ikko-Ikki and Takeda)? Do all fight at once?

Only the Active Alliance Units attack. All of the non-active Faction units defend.

General_Norris wrote:
10) Do leaders count towards the regroup limit like any other unit? 10.3 says "He arrives during the Regroup Sequence, either into the Regroup Box or in a friendly space".

They do not count towards the regroup limit.

General_Norris wrote:
11) Do players start with any cards?

No.

General_Norris wrote:
Also, any Oda tips would be greatly appreciated :D

Thank you very much for your answers, this game is great! :D

I don't have any specific tips, other than it seems logical to try and focus a large mass or troops toward one Anti-Oda Alliance and then the next. And be careful not to let Oda fall!

It is a great game.

Enjoy,
Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Woha, those are some great answers, thanks!

Quote:
General_Norris wrote:

Rules section 11.4, they can be placed in any of the Clan’s controlled spaces.

Aren't there any limitations? I mean, can I just put all Takeda units on the two lower castles and ignore the rest of their castles?

Quote:
General_Norris wrote:

Yes. This is important bridge to the North.

But would they control the space (As in, place a token there) or would the troops act as the bridge itself?

Thanks a lot for your answers, they were very useful! I have another question, though.

12) How many times can you negotiate per turn? One per unit with diplomacy marker, right?

Thanks a lot, hope to play it again soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
Aren't there any limitations? I mean, can I just put all Takeda units on the two lower castles and ignore the rest of their castles?

No limitations. Yes, you can stack them as you please.

General_Norris wrote:
But would they control the space (As in, place a token there) or would the troops act as the bridge itself?

They would not control the space, but the sieging troops would be enough to open up the lines of communication.

General_Norris wrote:
12) How many times can you negotiate per turn? One per unit with diplomacy marker, right?

Yes, each Active Leader with a Diplomatic Ability can make one negotiation attempt.

Hope that helps,
Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.