Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JAn
Australia
Noble Park
Victoria
flag msg tools
mb
Played the first case tonight. Loads of fun and I know others have complained about the time track, but we found it useful here otherwise we'd have spent all night visiting places that sounded interesting rather than useful. Glad to hear, too, that the time on the time track will possibly have an effect on locations in later cases.

We discussed the difference between something like Mythos Tales and an adventure computer game that could adapt to things like time of day and account for the sequence in which locations had been visited.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
In one of the entries for the first case it says something like "the photo looks just like the woman Armitage described", only problem is we'd already been to the hospital and met the victim so we knew what she looked liked for ourselves.

The tactile feeling of writing down notes and scribbling and leafing through a book definitely has it's own appeal that can't be matched by pointing and clicking on a screen. (Though I'm still very keen to try the new Mansions of Madness: Second Edition)

Lastly, a couple of notes as someone who backed the Kickstarter.

Given a choice between a HC book and a mounted board (not that it was a choice) I'd have preferred a mounted board. I feel like the included one will deteriorate on the folds. I'm half-tempted to cut it up and mount it on card myself.

Others have mentioned it, but the allies should have been on a single sheet, or even the back page. Really odd layout/design decision to have something that's referenced a fair bit on one-and-a-third pages of a book.

Slightly counter to what I said above, I almost feel like this game is crying out for an app. Having the entries be available to be called up individually with no chance of seeing the entries/spoilers around them would be great. Plus would give the designers a chance to include a loud BIP-BOW sound effect when an entry couldn't be found. Would be easy to do with the digital flies and a basic database, but obviously open to piracy issues since the entries are the thing.

Overall, the grips are minor and more idle thoughts as the experience was excellent and we can't wait to see where our investigations will take us next. Shhhhh... did you hear that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Requirement Cards kinda do give the book some idea of what you have already seen. You go see someone and they pretty much ignore you, unless you have previously been to the right place before (because you have the right Requirement Card) and so can get to read a supplementary bit of text that gives you more clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JAn
Australia
Noble Park
Victoria
flag msg tools
mb
Ah. I had assumed they would stand for pieces of physical evidence, but of course they can be used to mark previous conversations/experiences. Excellent, looking forward to encountering them in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.