Subject: Using snapback with no hero to target? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Balsiger
Switzerland
Langnau am Albis
Zürich
flag msg tools
Can one use Snapback when the opponent doesn't have any heroes out?

I'm not sure if it's like in MtG where if you don't have a target you can't cast the spell or not (couldn't find anything about that in the rules). And if you could just cast the spell, I think it would be "do as much as possible" and you should be able to get a hero into play, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that the second part of the ability refers to "that patrol zone" [the one you returned the targeted hero to].
If you never hit an enemy hero woth the first part of the ability, you have not defined a patrol zone from which to pull another hero.

Not sure if you could still play the card to trigger effects like River's Harmony Spell though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zejety wrote:
Note that the second part of the ability refers to "that patrol zone" [the one you returned the targeted hero to].
If you never hit an enemy hero woth the first part of the ability, you have not defined a patrol zone from which to pull another hero.

Not sure if you could still play the card to trigger effects like River's Harmony Spell though.

What card are you talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
Zejety wrote:

What card are you talking about?

Oops sorry. I meant the right card but (twice) wrote patrol zone when I meant the command zone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, yeah indeed it makes more sense now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see a specific rule on it, but it doesn't seem correct that you could cast a targeted spell that did not have a valid target. (Untargeted spells that don't have any effect would be fine, however.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
It's certainly true that you can cast a spell that wants multiple targets if some of them are absent. This is most obvious with Troq Bashar's Final Smash: you can play it to just gain control of a Tech II unit if there aren't any Tech 0 or Tech I units around. (But if there are, I think you do need to target one of them, even if it's your own.)

Sirlin, 3/2/2016 wrote:
You "do as much as you can" when playing this. For example, if there is no tech 0 in play, you still do the rest of the spell.

The effects are not optional. If the only tech 0 unit in play is yours, you must destroy it. If the only tech I unit in play is yours, you must return it to its owner's hand. If the only tech II unit in play is yours, you "gain control of it" which does nothing.

Just out of interest: why would you want to play Snapback without targeting anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alextfish wrote:
Just out of interest: why would you want to play Snapback without targeting anyone?

It's a stretch but you could use it to get a Dancer token with Harmony (http://codexcarddb.com/card/harmony).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alextfish wrote:

I imagine the OP is scared of a spell that one of his opponent's heroes can cast. If one could use Snapback to bring that hero in, then squash the hero in combat, that would guarantee the hero's spells would be unavailable on the next turn.

The "from that command zone" wording would seem to disallow this line of play, even if you are allowed to play a Snapback with no targets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Balsiger
Switzerland
Langnau am Albis
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ah, thanks Denis and John. Now I see what you mean with "that command zone". Makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.