Subject: Weaponized food rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mb
Every year, my 2 sons compete to grow the hottest peppers. I don't know if you follow these things, but pepper varieties have been getting insanely hot these last few years.

Last year, my wife made some hot sauce from the peppers and the fumes from the batch blistered her skin. The jars could only be opened outdoors, any room with open sauce would become uninhabitable.

My wife dried some of this year's ungodly hot peppers. This morning, my wife put a several dozen dried peppers into a bowl to grind them to flakes. Knowing how dangerous this would be, she wrapped the stick blender into the bowl with a towel, sealing it.

Not good enough. Even though I was upstairs in the office, within a minute I had to abandon the house. It was below freezing, but we stayed out on the deck with our poor dogs, the doors to the house wide open.

Brutal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
God is a cruel croupier, he dealeth and he taketh away
mbmbmbmbmb
The Aztecs would torture prisoners by tying them above smoldering peppers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like hot food, but I never saw the point in growing things so hot you couldn't eat them, much less so hot you couldn't work with them.

Habaneros have a nice flavor, but hotter than that...leave me out. And even habaneros can't be too strong or else I'll be in serious pain the next day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
I like hot food, but I never saw the point in growing things so hot you couldn't eat them, much less so hot you couldn't work with them.

Habaneros have a nice flavor, but hotter than that...leave me out. And even habaneros can't be too strong or else I'll be in serious pain the next day.
Yes, it does rather mystify me, and I like hot food.

I sometimes wonder if it is all just a bit "look at me".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the guys who works for me was hospitalized by cutting a pepper he grew last summer and it slightly squirting on his bare arm.

He threw the thing out of his house in a panic and has a patch where grass will not grow now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
wmshub wrote:

I think it's some sort of bragging thing, where being able to withstand hotter stuff is supposed to be impressive. It has the opposite effect in my mind. I mark anyone who brags about being able to torture themselves the most as a fool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
wmshub wrote:

I think it's some sort of bragging thing, where being able to withstand hotter stuff is supposed to be impressive. It has the opposite effect in my mind. I mark anyone who brags about being able to torture themselves the most as a fool.
Pretty much the same here, I do not find rubbing caustic soda in the eye or drinking harpic clever. By the same token I do not consider trying to give yourself chemical burns by any other means clever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
professorguy wrote:
Every year, my 2 sons compete to grow the hottest peppers. I don't know if you follow these things, but pepper varieties have been getting insanely hot these last few years.

What are they growing? This year I grew some Scotch Bonnets and Habaneros, and they were pretty toasty. Made great jelly.

Next year I have plans to do a full container garden of Naga's, Carolina Reapers, Habaneros, Scotch Bonnets, Bhut jolokia, and some ghost varieties. I am going to smoke some and ferment some, and dry the rest.

I may die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Be kind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, put me in the camp where heat is an axis to support flavor, and not as some kind of mouth-flaying Hellraiser experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
slatersteven wrote:
Yes, it does rather mystify me, and I like hot foodBoardgames.

I love hearing this in a hobby about people who show off their game shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Not sure there is much of a similarity between "look at how much I have" and "look how much pain I can cause myself", but even accepting there is.

I do not show off my games shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

I do not show off my games shelf.

This. I think maybe once or twice a year a conversation will arise in my group about who has the most games, but its just something we talk about as a matter of fact, not as a bragging point. If quantity actually matters, we wouldn't be selling off the games that don't get played anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mb
HiveGod wrote:
Yeah, put me in the camp where heat is an axis to support flavor...

Eat it? Are you insane?

When I said weaponized foods, I wasn't kidding. We use the flakes as a tear-gas-like area denial weapon. The sauce is for water pistols--a blinding weapon. Also, we have simple 40-pound recurve bows which do not have man-stopping power, but an arrow dipped in sauce will put an enemy to rout.

Why would anybody eat it?

(My family calls us anti-social. Of course we're anti-social. Have you met society?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:
HiveGod wrote:

Eat it? Are you insane?

When I said weaponized foods, I wasn't kidding. We use the flakes as a tear-gas-like area denial weapon. The sauce is for water pistols--a blinding weapon. Also, we have simple 40-pound recurve bows which do not have man-stopping power, but an arrow dipped in sauce will put an enemy to rout.

(My family calls us anti-social. Of course we're anti-social. Have you met society?)
Even as a joke this is dangerously close to RSPing the thread.

I think I agree with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
JoshBot wrote:
The Aztecs would torture prisoners by tying them above smoldering peppers.
ONCE them 'peppers' were 'done', THEN their 'heart' was "ripped out & consumed" along with those, finally! heart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mb
slatersteven wrote:

Sorry. Online satire is hard. Them peppers is hot, is what I'm sayin'.

Of course I live in a situation in which I need no weapons. Our bows are for, no kidding, downhill skishooting (hitting targets while skiing). The peppers are indeed for fools to eat. Certainly I'd never eat them, but then again I consider ketchup pretty spicy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Sorry. Online satire is hard. Them peppers is hot, is what I'm sayin'.

Of course I live in a situation in which I need no weapons. Our bows are for, no kidding, downhill skishooting (hitting targets while skiing). The peppers are indeed for fools to eat. Certainly I'd never eat them, but then again I consider ketchup pretty spicy.

Yes I suppose it is when there are rules that are easily broken by jut saying the wrong reply as a joke.

That my point, the fact that many of the ways to reply to your post would cross over into RSP (or can only be made in a moderation light environment like RSP).

I get what you are saying, but I cannot repeat it without breaking the rules, that is what I am saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
professorguy wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Sorry. Online satire is hard.

Don't mind him; he's always carrying on about the Ridiculously Spicy Peppers forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:

Don't mind him; he's always carrying on about the Ridiculously Spicy Peppers forum.

I used to love that band, but nothing was the same after Flea Spice left the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Secrest
United States
Clarksville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once had to abandon the campsite when someone opened a fresh can of Dibs...ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
slatersteven wrote:
professorguy wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:

"Random Spewings Peppering"-Forums? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Moved to Robert/Slater/Professorguy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
professorguy wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Well, he did eat all the peppers the last time, got the runs really fierce-like, and has banned himself from returning (unless someone eats a pepper in his honor).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Moved to Runny Slater Poop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Waller
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
professorguy wrote:
HiveGod wrote:

Eat it? Are you insane?

I think I agree with you.

Ha lets use the thread to clear RSP that will teach them - they could never stand our Chit Chat pepper attack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.