Subject: Just bought a starter, a few questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just ordered a cheap copy of the TFA core set, and am somewhat befuddled by all the expansions available. Only looking for casual play, not going to be playing in any tournaments, and obviously won't be buying anything else until we've played the core set a few times and found out if we like it.

The general consensus seems to be that a second starter is a good buy, for cheaply bulking out the sides and the second set of dice and templates and so on. Would people recommend a second TFA core, or an original core? I understand the latter would give more variety, but it seems like there's been some rules changes in the new one; is anything in the original incompatible or imbalanced?

It seems like none of the sets that contain the same ships are actually duplicates, and they all have different cards. Like, if I get Rebel Aces for the A-Wing and B-Wing, that's not the same as buying the A-Wing and B-Wing separately. Same with the original core and the original X-Wing and TIE, the new core and the T70 and TIE/fo, and the Imperial Aces/Veterans boxes. Are there any of these 'duplicate' sets where you'd strongly recommend one option over the other?

Finally, am I right in thinking that a 100pt small-ship game is something like 3-4 Rebels/Resistance vs 5-6 Imperials/First Order?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Huss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this answer isn't maybe what you want to hear, but for casual play you should get what interests you. Everything is compatible, but you should make sure to use the new rules. They don't change much, but it clarifies some ambiguities from the original set.

The second starter is a great way to go because you'll have 6 of each die, and a set of templates for each player. I would suggest using only the new damage deck from TFA, but you can use the old one if you want. A few cards have been tweaked to affect ships more equally. Plus, you get entirely new pilots and upgrade cards. The ships are similar, but they are different ships.

You are correct that no sets contain the same cards exactly. Some cards are available in multiple sets, but each set contains pilot cards that are exclusive to that box. The Aces boxes are nice, as well as Imperial Veterans and the new Heroes of the Resistance, because you get 2 ships in the same box and a whole slew of nice upgrades. I don't have a strong recommendation on which multi-ship pack vs. individual ship pack to get. Again, get the ships that interest you the most. Each ship feels very different, and they behave in ways that you probably recognize from the movies. B-wings are slow and powerful, A-wings are incredibly fast and hard to hit, but lack in firepower.

You are pretty spot on about the ship counts if you are only using small base ships. In general, imperial ships are weaker but cheaper, so you'll use more of them. This game has a huge amount of options for squad building though, so obviously there are plenty of exceptions!

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would get one of each Core to have more options rather than two of the same. Alternately, get some of the boxed expansions like Imperial Aces/Veterans that have multiple ships in them. Back when the game was new it was more common to buy multiple cores but it's not as important now with so many options out.

A 100 point game is usually about 3 ships per side, maybe 4 if you're going with cheaper ones. It's possible to do 2 ships if you're using large-based ships, or go the other way and have a bit more of a swarm of really cheap ships which could potentially be 5-6. But I'd say that most lists are 3 ships (no matter which faction) and sometimes there are 2 or 4.

That is correct that buying the same ship model in a different expansion is not identical because it will come with different upgrade cards. For trying out the game though, I suggest you just proxy whatever cards you want and not worry too much about them for now.

I only play Imperials so I don't know much about Rebel stuff but for the duplicates... I would get Imperial Veterans over separate TIE Bomber/TIE Defenders. I would get the TIE/fo blister over the one in the TFA Core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Allen
United States
La Canada Flintridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BlackSheep wrote:

The general consensus seems to be that a second starter is a good buy, for cheaply bulking out the sides and the second set of dice and templates and so on. Would people recommend a second TFA core, or an original core?

Honestly, I would go for low price first, because if you're anything like me, you're gonna start spending way too much money on this game. So if you see the TFA for $15, get that, likewise the OG set. I have a friend (really, it's not me) who ended up buying 4 core sets over the past year because he was able to get them for between $10-15 each, which breaks down to a pretty great per-ship cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Ithaca
NY
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSheep wrote:
Would people recommend a second TFA core, or an original core? I understand the latter would give more variety, but it seems like there's been some rules changes in the new one; is anything in the original incompatible or imbalanced?

I would recommend the older core - it'll give you more variety in ships, upgrades and asteroids. Everything in the old core is compatible with the TFA stuff.

BlackSheep wrote:

It seems like none of the sets that contain the same ships are actually duplicates, and they all have different cards. Like, if I get Rebel Aces for the A-Wing and B-Wing, that's not the same as buying the A-Wing and B-Wing separately. Same with the original core and the original X-Wing and TIE, the new core and the T70 and TIE/fo, and the Imperial Aces/Veterans boxes. Are there any of these 'duplicate' sets where you'd strongly recommend one option over the other?

I think I'd maybe recommend Rebel Aces over a separate A-Wing + B-Wing expansion, especially if you have another source of Push the Limit (like Imperial Aces). The standalone TIE/FO expansion is definitely worth picking up, but I also think for most of the "duplicates" you'll want both expansions if you really get into the game.

BlackSheep wrote:

Finally, am I right in thinking that a 100pt small-ship game is something like 3-4 Rebels/Resistance vs 5-6 Imperials/First Order?

Rebels/Resistance generally stay somewhere in the 2-4 ship range. It's possible to run larger Rebel swarms, but it's not as common.

Imperials/First Order can really range anywhere from 2-8. They can mass large numbers of TIE Fighters, or they can run more expensive "ace" pilots in ships like the TIE Interceptor or TIE Defender. It's really up to your preferred style. Both sides also have large ships like the Falcon or Decimator that can easily cost 50-60 points by themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran Tsangari
United Kingdom
St Austell
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i had a starter set last year for Christmas, it soon descended into lots of plastic crack! and i have bought a load of ships (some just for the upgrade cards and they look pretty!!)

If you're starting out on your group then a second core set wouldn't go amiss, the extra movement templates and dice are great.

The Aces/Veterans packs give you "Fixes" for the ships that have dropped out of competitive play but that doesn't mean the individual ship expansions aren't worth it though.

Casual play is great and i thoroughly recommend the Heroes of the Aturi cluster co-op campaign. You will need to build up a sizable imperial fleet (or play with someone who has such a large fleet) to run it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And none of the rule updates in the TFA core set invalidate or make obsolete any older ships. There have been some FAQs that have changed somethings, but there's nothing that is no longer usable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree with the buy whatever you want theory. Just have fun with it.

Buying things on sales is great too.

But I will add two points -

You might want to play the cooperative campaign Heroes of the Arturi Cluster. It is free. You can download the files. It is brilliant.

I find the huge ships big fun. Buy one one sale. They offer wonderful missions and tons of replay in the more casual Epic play style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitesell

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely get the old core. Should you decide in the future to play competitively or at least more 'aggressively casual' you'll be glad to have the two different damage decks as you can *pick* which one to use.

There are some lists I use with brand new ships that still use the old damage deck because quite simply it's less dangerous for that particular build. A different group of ships/upgrades might want the new one. You'llalso have pretty much the full range of obstacle options, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to note is that you can probably use the regular Tie Fighters and the Tie FO's interchangeably for models. So, if you have extra regular Tie Fighter cards and little cardboard things for the ships, you can just put them on the Tie FO and treat it like a Tie Fighter. So, going with the other Core might give you more options. It is hard to pass up cheap, though. That is a decent thought.

Ship numbers are based on preferences and if you are playing casual, it can vary. Rebels go anywhere from 2-5 ships, based on going with a Falcon or something big could mean fewer ships. Most Rebel lists tend to be 3, though. You could go for some cheap Z-95's if you wanted to and get up to 5 ships in a list, but it's not terribly common.

Imperials have a lot of range they could go. Competitive tournament lists usually see 3-4 ships in a list. Most of the time people fill their list up with super aces like Soontir Fel in a Tie Interceptor (loaded with upgrades) or perhaps a Tie Defender with one of the new titles. That doesn't mean that you have to play that way, especially for casual. Personally, I like a heavy hitter and a mini-swarm. So, one tough guy and about 4 Tie Fighters. It's a solid list type. I've also done Vader and about 4-5 other Tie Fighters. 4 Tie Bombers is solid. There are a lot of ways you can go with Imperials. Even maxing out on cheap Tie Fighters isn't a bad option, though hard to fly without bumping.

You might also want to think about finding someone who is selling their stuff and pick up a larger collection on the cheap. That is a great way to fill your list out with all sorts of ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Habilis wrote:
So if you see the TFA for $15, get that, likewise the OG set. I have a friend (really, it's not me) who ended up buying 4 core sets over the past year because he was able to get them for between $10-15 each, which breaks down to a pretty great per-ship cost.

Ha, I'm in the UK, we don't really have deep-discounters here. It took a lot of hunting around to find a core set for the current equivalent of $25, and that was a site I'd never heard of with a single copy in stock and no other X-Wing stuff, presumably just dumping it on clearance.

Outside the cheap core sets, ships are only slightly more expensive over here. I'm still getting used to the falling value of the pound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good advice here, thanks. I am keeping an eye on eBay and local trade groups for bundle deals, and there's a few ships and packs I like the look of for personal appeal (Sabine's TIE is pretty much an instabuy once it comes out, for example).

I'm not big on coop but I've heard good things about the campaign, and I do have a friend with a decent-sized collection. Will have to check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wagner
United States
Belleville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I would also say that if there is a base ship that you like, I would recommend getting one of the those ships singly in order to get the cards that go with it. Part of the fun of the game is how you build your ships with the different pilots and upgrades. The more of those you have, the more fun the game is. I would also recommend a Falcon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say two core sets is a good start.

But also it's not a good start as it will make you want to buy more and more.

In my case the problem was a youngest son who's into starwars.
I myself didn't care for it much, but ahwell, the kid likes this stuff so lets get a core set....

Of course next I realised these ships look marvelous and as some network sabotaged things further by showing the movies again, I suddenly found myself flying my TIES making the appropriate noises.

Next thing I knew I was collecting this stuff, at one point I even got me a German -cheaper- Tantive, and realising the money pit I was about to fall down, I decided to stick with stuff shown in the movies.
I won't touch stuff from the series.

So now I've got all that and I was sure I'd collected all and it was time to play with these things.
Well almost all cause I must have a read A-wing, mynes the bleu one from the special set.

And maybe I should get me an extra B-wing and a Y-wing cause one looks a bit lonely.

Next my youngest, who collects LEGO starwars, asks me to help him build this assault ship. Don't know if you know LEGO, but it really is a beautifull ship, moving bits and all and.....

next I know I'm checking BGG to see if X-wing has this ship.
It has, and as it sort of shows up shortly in the background in one movie, I'm not breaking my rule if I buy it.

And now I need a 3rd core set, to fill up the spaces on the assault ship, as I don't want to break up my swarm.

So, X wing core set, a great start, but be aware of what you might start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm already watching bundles on eBay and just offered someone £75 for a bunch of stuff second-hand. My dad gave me £100 for my birthday, though, so I'm still within budget so far...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems hard to imagine people want to get rid of their X-wing stuff.

Even though I haven't had the time to even play and just been busy collecting, I find great joy just looking at the ships in my display cabinet.

I hope you'll experience just as much joy with your collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle G
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
sagitar wrote:
Seems hard to imagine people want to get rid of their X-wing stuff.

A lot of people really loaded up on waves 1-4 thinking that FFG probably wouldn't go that hard on the really obscure EU ships. That turned out to not be the case at all, and even just picking up one or two of each expansion can lead to some serious storage issues.

I could stand to offload a number of extra ships myself if I ever found the motivation to do so whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've already spent far too much money, considering so far I've played three games and the biggest was 70pts.

I got a bundle from a FB group, but I'd already put a bid in on an eBay bundle, not expecting to win it. I did. Now I need to sell off some of this, because it's more than we'll ever use and Christmas is always expensive.

So far, though, I have:

Two ANH starters
Two TFA starters
Two extra X-Wings, an extra TIE and an extra T70
Two TIE Advanced, a Defender and a Phantom
The Rebel Aces A-Wings and B-Wing
The Imperial Aces Interceptors
Two (!) Millennium Falcons
Slave 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BlackSheep wrote:
Two (!) Millennium Falcons

You can't run the Outer Rim Smuggler Swarm with only two Falcons, you need three...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahaha....

Just imagine a swarm of falcons.

Seems I did the clever thing for once by planning what to buy and sticking to it.
Allthough sticking to it didn't stop me getting several of some ships, cause really now, one x-wing and some tie? that's just silly.

All the extra ships from rebels and the cartoon movies look great and if I had not decided to only buy in movie stuff, there'd never be an end to buying stuff.

And I aggree, storage can become an issue, especially as you'll want to display your ships. It's no fun to have them boxed up, part of the fun is ogling them every day.

So I've now made my final purchase, the assault carrier, which is in a movie - if only by a thread - sort of - and the red A wing is on the way. The one in the pack was bleu which I didn't like, in the movies it's read..

Mind you, I could be tempted to get more Y and B wings.....
Maybe.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they make a Rebels "movie" will that count?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, nor did I go for the new movie stuff, which I would have expected to bring new fantastic ships.

You'll have to set yourself a limit.
Waiting for the company to stop making models won't work as I think there'll be no end to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.