Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Valkyser
Germany
Wesseling
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me or is the blocking ability (red bean) unbelievably weak?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yodsapon Chirawut
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I think it is weaker than the other abilities (if we talk about the default ones on the coaster). 'Block action' has limited use and is therefore less useful compared to the others. Also its benefit is very situational. I would use it only when I have strong control over Featured Blend. So for me, I would prefer to upgrade other abilities before 'block action.'

I am quite interested in others' thought on how to use this action more effectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TC Petty III
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
XENON PROFITEER 2015!
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephan Valkyser wrote:
Is it just me or is the blocking ability (red bean) unbelievably weak?

I like your hyperbole! It's the standard starting coaster for a reason. Learn all the basics and learn how to exploit them best. The Block token is situational and the Green ability is psychological manipulation. They score more points upon completion for a reason.

I love getting to answer this question 2 years later, after playing and watching hundreds of games since. It is the weakest of the bunch, but crucial for the average player that is used to the familiarity of a bit of screwage and for teaming up against opposition. And yes, I'd rate it a 4.5 point ability if the point heuristics were available.

But for the experienced gamer, I'd say quickly dig into a custom set of abilities and you'll enjoy navigating a new path each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Valkyser
Germany
Wesseling
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answer.
Yes, I am just digging into the game playing (only) with the Basic rules of the German edition, which only contains one coaster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.