Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Taylor
United States
Aurora
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This review comes after two sessions with my wife and kids, which is enough playing time to write a review for this game. It isn't exactly complicated, but it gives kids a good gaming experience.

We purchased this game to involve my 3-year-old son in our gaming experience. Our daughter plays several games with us, and we wanted to find something that he could do and understand. Kids of Catan fit the bill.

The components are large and sturdy, very good for a younger child. My boy was banging the little houses on the table and dropped one on the floor. No problem. The wood parts are more than capable of withstanding some abuse.

Gameplay moves smoothly between the players, and depending on the die rolls, can be over fairly quickly. The quick game play is also good for younger gamers. There is no strategy or long term thinking involved, so there is no down time.

It kind of goes without saying that if you aren't going to be playing games with kids, don't get this game. But if you are going to play with children, this is a good game to get them started with.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest that you allow the player to pick the direction when rotating the playfield. This provides a bit of strategy (well, tactics) and my kids love to move so that I end up in front of "Swiper" (their name for the robber).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Aurora
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shijuro wrote:
I'd suggest that you allow the player to pick the direction when rotating the playfield. This provides a bit of strategy (well, tactics) and my kids love to move so that I end up in front of "Swiper" (their name for the robber).

I tired this just a bit ago with my son. Works well.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Patterson
Germany
Griesheim
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some other alternatives to add some choice and make the game a little more tactical:

1. The player rolls a die but may move the board either the amount on the top of the die or the amount on the bottom...

2. ... and the player chooses the direction to move...

3. Use two dice and the player may move the board the amount on either die...

4. ... in either direction...

5. ... or also the sum of the dice or the difference of the dice...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.