Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefano Tonini
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi All!

love the sheer amount of stuff in the kings pledge and the mechanics. Sure, the manual could use some refining (and they are already doing it), but all in all I'm more then satisfied.

I've tried twice the first scenario, playing the overlord against a very clever opponent (my wife: she makes planes for a living ) but both time we found the overlord can't loose (like Parker Lewis ) if the dice play average and he is not completely passive.

I've read some topics and doesn't look like we made any big rule mistake, thus I'm asking for advice for the heroes: any tactics you can suggest?

by the way: how do you read the putting 5 gems for each hero in the spent box, it's only for 4 heroes or for 3 heroes too?

Thanks all,
Stefano

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark horneff
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you clarify the last part of your question please regarding gems?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
For those of us still waiting on the game...

What's the first scenario? Rescuing the Princess from the Pict Village?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conteshard wrote:
by the way: how do you read the putting 5 gems for each hero in the spent box, it's only for 4 heroes or for 3 heroes too?

That's for both cases. The layout is unfortunately somewhat ambiguous there, but all (or almost all) of the scenarios move some portion of the gems to the spent box at startup, regardless of how many heroes they use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Conteshard wrote:

That's for both cases. The layout is unfortunately somewhat ambiguous there, but all (or almost all) of the scenarios move some portion of the gems to the spent box at startup, regardless of how many heroes they use.

If you are in aggressive mode, you get to move 2 Gems...or 3 (if one of your party is dead, or 4 if 2 of your party is dead)

If you are in cautious mode, you get to move 5 Gems...or 6...or 7 under the same conditions.

Note - Cautious mode is basically resting. You can only do 2 things (basically defend yourself).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkobla Conn wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
Conteshard wrote:

If you are in aggressive mode, you get to move 2 Gems...or 3 (if one of your party is dead, or 4 if 2 of your party is dead)

If you are in cautious mode, you get to move 5 Gems...or 6...or 7 under the same conditions.

Note - Cautious mode is basically resting. You can only do 2 things (basically defend yourself).

He's talking about the initial gems which get moved into the Fatigue box as part of the setup. The layout unfortunately places this after the "Suggestion for 4 heroes" part, which makes it appear, at first glance, to only apply to a setup using 4 heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
To answer your tactics question; this scenario does indeed favour the OL, but here is my opinion on some basic tactics.

Conan should make a beeline for Zogar Sag (Shevatas can clear the Pict Warrior out of the way for him) and then just keep hitting him until he is dead (Conan can put 5 gems into a melee attack making it very difficult for the OL to guard against).

Shevatas (with evade) and Hadrathus (with Teleport) should search for the Princess; you should check at least 2 huts a turn (and Conan checks Sag's hut anyway).

Once the Princess is found and Sag is dead, you should be in a good position to decide your next move.

Try not to fight the Snake if you can help it, it wastes too much time (both Hadrathus and Shevatas can move away from it).

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Sanchez
msg tools
Yes you start with gems already in fatigue however your first Turn you move gems out.

However after reading several issues people have with this scenario and how hard it is for them to beat it I hope people realize the heros get an extra turn on this scenario. The heros start first and have the last turn as well because the turn marker moves on the overlords turn. I know there is a few other tips people can give with this scenario so feel free to share them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Pšenák
msg tools
CardboardAnt wrote:
Try not to fight the Snake if you can help it, it wastes too much time (both Hadrathus and Shevatas can move away from it).

Actually, they can run away, but not carrying the princess (encumbered Shevatas loses Evasive and Hadrathus Spellcasting skill).

If the OL plays it wisely, you cannot evoid fighting the snake. IMO, if the overlord places the princess in the stone hut at the bottom (right in front of Hadrathus' starting location) and moves the snake there (or in front of it at least), it is nearly impossible for heroes to kill both Zogar Sag and the Snake in time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is, probably, the optimal place to put the princess and in the first OL turn you move the snake outside (as many gems as that takes, the OL should pay it).
In this instance, the heroes have little options but the best is probably to continue after Sag while Shevatas throws knives at the Snake for a few wounds and Hadrathus clears Picts with his lightning storm. And hope for some good rolls. Once Sag is dead then Conan can head over to assist and maybe you get out before time runs out.

For a first scenario I dont believe this one is well-balanced because it is so heavy in the OLs favour,as opposed to the second one, hunting the Tigress, which is heavy in the Hero favour. The third scenario is more balanced (as in a reasonable chance both sides can win) than either of those first two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've played this scenario a few times and the heros have done well. Managing to defeat/tie up the snake and do everything else in the time allowed. The normal starting tactic is to have Conan smash through the wall of the hyena hut first and clear them out and Shevatas does the same on the other side. The hyenas are easy to kill, but fast and dangerous so it removes one threat.
Conan normally ends up getting locked in battle with snake at some point while Shevatas goes after the shaman if Conan wasn't able to (great if he has found the crossbow by this stage).
Funnily enough poor Hadrathus normally ends up carrying the princess out the village as the others are busy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Tonini
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmb
thank you all for comment and clarification: this night we'll try it out again and see what the heroes can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
one enemy will not pin one friendly, so Conan can just walk on by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:

This is one where the rulebook is in conflict. The actual words for hindering movement talk about how the number of enemy units has to be greater than the number of heroes in order for hindering to apply, but all of the examples show that a single enemy figure does hinder and makes movement cost that +1 MP per enemy figure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Hatt
France
Brest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rccoll wrote:
martimer wrote:

This is one where the rulebook is in conflict. The actual words for hindering movement talk about how the number of enemy units has to be greater than the number of heroes in order for hindering to apply, but all of the examples show that a single enemy figure does hinder and makes movement cost that +1 MP per enemy figure.

Isn't it equal or greater?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew jackson
United Kingdom
Warrington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hindering is calculated against the number of allies of the acting hero, ignore the hero themselves. So if hero and one friend is in a space with one enemy the hero isn't hindered. If hero and one friend is in a space with two enemies the hero is hindered by one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rccoll wrote:
martimer wrote:

In the online rules that I have, since my copy is still waiting to be shipped, it shows this:

In that, the text talks about how the enemy figures have to be "higher" than the number of friendly units, but the example immediately under this shows that even with there being only 1 Hero and 1 enemy it still cost an additional point of movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rccoll wrote:
In that, the text talks about how the enemy figures have to be "higher" than the number of friendly units, but the example immediately under this shows that even with there being only 1 Hero and 1 enemy it still cost an additional point of movement.

Higher than OTHER friendly units. Thus a single enemy hinders movement.

Edit: the exact quote, from Hereos' Book pg 12:

Quote:
If the number of enemy characters in a character's area is higher than the number of other friendly characters in that area, ...

(Emphasis added.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
I never said it was free. Conan can still walk on by. Sorry I left out the "for a gem" part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understood the rule, I just think it's a stupid ass way to put that one side has to have greater numbers in an area than the other side, and if they don't, movement is hindered (without a special skill of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rccoll wrote:
I understood the rule, I just think it's a stupid ass way to put that one side has to have greater numbers in an area than the other side, and if they don't, movement is hindered (without a special skill of course).
It costs a number of Energy equal to the number of enemy figures minus the number of friendly figures, to a minimum of 1 to leave an area. There may be an additional cost for terrain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guinch Nudrevil
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The print n play version of the scenario, which was probably the tested version, was easier pour the heroes.

Look at that thread where I explain the differences (gems and starting point). I suggest you too play the pnp version with less gems for the OL and more freedom for the heroes starting points.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1679323/scenario-1-clutch-p...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.