Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Thiel
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group played London Dread for the first time last night. The poorly-edited rulebook made even the introductory scenario difficult to fathom for a bunch of newbies, and we wound up abandoning the timer.

The Planning Phase was further complicated by the double-sided action tokens. Was it intentional not to number the "arrow" side of the tiles? I found myself constantly flipping them to see just which numbered location I planned to visit at a given time, hampering my ability to coordinate with the other players.

Since moving from one quadrant to another takes no extra time, why bother with distinct arrow and number sides instead of numbered arrows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are getting a few things wrong...

Moving to a different quadrant DOES take time; it takes 1 "hour" (action).

Place a token with the number side face up to show that you are visiting that numbered location in your current quadrant.

Place a token with the arrow side face up pointing the direction that you are going to show that you are moving to that quadrant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
dodonna wrote:
Our group played London Dread for the first time last night. The poorly-edited rulebook made even the introductory scenario difficult to fathom for a bunch of newbies, and we wound up abandoning the timer.

The Planning Phase was further complicated by the double-sided action tokens. Was it intentional not to number the "arrow" side of the tiles? I found myself constantly flipping them to see just which numbered location I planned to visit at a given time, hampering my ability to coordinate with the other players.

Since moving from one quadrant to another takes no extra time, why bother with distinct arrow and number sides instead of numbered arrows?

Hi David,

I'm sorry to hear your fist play was frustrating. It's a complicated game and we did have several editors who tried to help up create a comprehensive rule-book. We always take note of specific things which trouble our players and will attempt to clarify them in future editions. If you have specific sections of the rulebook that you found confusing and want to send me a geekmail with that information I will highlight those sections for another look by our editors.

As for the arrows, they are not numbered because they do take time to use. Flipping an action to its arrow side means that in that time you move to the streets location in the area to which you pointed your arrow. The number is no longer relevant.

For example, If I take an Action Token 1 and flip it to it's arrow side and place it in my action clock pointing north at 10am, when we more to the story phase, at 10 am, I move my character to the North Streets location. If I wanted to go to location N1, I would also have needed to place another Action Token 1 in the 12pm slot.

The arrow does not move me both north and to location one. It only moves me north.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Thanks so much for supporting our game!

-Josh
Grey Fox Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
I think you are getting a few things wrong...

Moving to a different quadrant DOES take time; it takes 1 "hour" (action).

Place a token with the number side face up to show that you are visiting that numbered location in your current quadrant.

Place a token with the arrow side face up pointing the direction that you are going to show that you are moving to that quadrant.

ninja
Exactly right.

Showoff.

Thanks for being so quick to help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thiel
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I just realized that I got that wrong. I misread the example last night, and thought that placing an arrow sent you to the numbered location in that quadrant. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thiel
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, you guys are fast! I caught my mistake and went back to yank the post, and I already had multiple replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dodonna wrote:
BTW, you guys are fast! I caught my mistake and went back to yank the post, and I already had multiple replies!

Lol. I've had that happen to. Don't stress it; odds are if one person made the mistake, someone else will to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.