tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Given the short notice, I have to assume that whatever political wrangling was happening must have been close enough that once the "release soon!" camp got an edge, they decided to hit the publish button as fast as they could.

Whichever publishers have their games in the first two episodes are going to be ecstatic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
How many people watch this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan

McSherrystown
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
I love this show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Quintana
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didnt they move to a pay to watch channel? Alpha something...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is great news, thank you!

stenmur wrote:

You didn't watch the video above, did you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if they have moved to a pay channel but I know that they recently added the first two seasons to Amazon Prime video.

Edit - Okay after actually watching the entire video I now know that some of the stuff is pay unless you wait a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've found this series to be really entertaining. It isn't something I would point someone to if I wanted them to learn a specific game, but I would happily suggest it to someone who asked why I might enjoy playing board games with friends. I just find it amusing to see them goofing around, the game is usually not my focus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mtyree1972 wrote:
It isn't something I would point someone to if I wanted them to learn a specific game, but I would happily suggest it to someone who asked why I might enjoy playing board games with friends. I just find it amusing to see them goofing around, the game is usually not my focus.
Yeah, it's an odd duck. You can't really learn a game from it, so at best it's giving an idea what the game feels like. The focus on super light gateway-ish games means there's little to capture my interest. And honestly, I can't suffer much WW at one time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Quintana
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwerk wrote:
This is great news, thank you!

stenmur wrote:

You didn't watch the video above, did you?

Nope. I am on a tablet tethered to my phone. Not the best speed. I apologize for asking the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hocker
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Awesome. Love this show
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Quintana
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mtyree1972 wrote:
Yeah, I've found this series to be really entertaining. It isn't something I would point someone to if I wanted them to learn a specific game, but I would happily suggest it to someone who asked why I might enjoy playing board games with friends. I just find it amusing to see them goofing around, the game is usually not my focus.

I thought the show was ok but my understanding is it brought in a lot of newplayers due to the popularity factors. Non gamers watching due to the actor not the game. This then opened the gate and new gamers were born. I am disappointed as i know their indegogo/kickstarter was a success yet they chose to move to a pay to watch and therefore will lower the likelyhood of creating the new gamers. Anyway my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Helie
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It will still available on YouTube Jared, so people will still discover gaming through it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Yeah, it's an odd duck. You can't really learn a game from it, so at best it's giving an idea what the game feels like. [...]

That is often exactly the reason why people are watching the show or playthroughs of other people in the community which are often also not 100% accurate on the rules, but still very popular, since they can provide a real feeling for the game.

Others watch the show for the entertainment value and table talk or maybe seeing their favourite game getting played by people they know from the entertainment industry (actors, musicians, writers, ect.). And yes, the show mainly focuses on lighter games, since it's one of the show's goals to bring more people into the hobby, which is great !

To each his/her own, nobody is forcing anyone to watch the show.

Overall I really like the show, but to me it really depends on the guests if an episode is enjoyable to watch or not. If the humour gets too silly (like when they played Chez Geek), it can indeed be really cringy, but episodes like Dead of Winter are really entertaining to watch, since the audience is also kept in the dark who the traitor might be.
Like for many other people, I indeed learnt through the show about games I didn't know before -- and it helped me to filter and prioritise my wishlist for new games.

Having said all that, season 4 starts out in a to me unexpected way. The show has been delayed for months and for reasons I don't know (Wil first estimated June 2016 for the release), and now that it finally starts, it's "pay or wait some more". Maybe I missed that detail and it was clear right from the beginning, but suffice to say that I am negatively surprised by this.

Does anyone know if this was announced earlier ?

I will watch the show anyway, but wait for the YouTube release. Won't bite for whatever "Alpha" is, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I like the show, and it introduced a lot of games to me. But I'm not paying money for a video subscription to watch it. I'll wait for when it's free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting... They did a crowd-sourcing effort for Season 3, kinda half-assed it; buses, honey, and fire ants were involved in the fallout; now if you want to see the episodes without waiting, you have to pay for a new service. I think I'll be waiting, or watching elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's because I work in the entertainment industry, but I don't mind paying for something I watch. I know the hard work that the technicians put it to create a quality show. It's hard to get funding for indie projects and it's not surprising to me to see creators experimenting with different revenue streams. I applaud the efforts of the cast and crew of Tabletop. Board gamers are a niche demographic and board gamers that watch videos of board gamers is even more niche.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tabletop was definitely to blame for bringing me into the hobby or back to the hobby; I played a lot of RPGs in my student years. But, it also opened my eyes to all the rest of the media content there is out there: The Dice Tower, Shut Up and Sit Down, Rahdo, Watch It Played etc. not to mention the gazzilions of boardgame related podcasts.

So, although I look forward to the next season of Tabletop, I don't feel disappointed that I'll need to wait a few months for it to air on YouTube.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff K
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Kyur wrote:
Having said all that, season 4 starts out in a to me unexpected way. The show has been delayed for months and for reasons I don't know (Wil first estimated June 2016 for the release), and now that it finally starts, it's "pay or wait some more". Maybe I missed that detail and it was clear right from the beginning, but suffice to say that I am negatively surprised by this.

Does anyone know if this was announced earlier ?

This is entirely from corporate junk that happened outside of WW's control. In the beginning of June, Legendary purchased Geek & Sundry (production studio behind TableTop) along with Chris Hardwick's The Nerdist Network and Amy Pohler's Smart Girls. We eventually found out (I forget when) that this was all in preparation of launching the Alpha pay service which will presumably host shows from all 3.

The end result was that TableTop got delayed by Legendary, outside of WW and probably even Geek and Sundry's control to help promote the launch of Alpha. The show itself has been done for quite some time (I think he said editing was complete in June?) and they were just waiting on Alpha to be ready.

Like you, I also have no interest in the other shows on any of the 3 networks, and will also be waiting for the free releases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of TableTop - a few years ago it basically got me into the hobby.

Season 3 went a bit haywire, but those issues have been long discussed.
I'm happy that it's going to be back, but I think putting it behind a paywall is a bad decision. The best part about TableTop is being able to send a link to friends to maybe get them to like gaming, or to show them how much fun it can be. The top notch production values and familiar celebrity faces help with that.

I backed season 3, but I won't be paying a subscription for season 4. I would prefer to back it for more money so that it can be placed on a free platform.

I think I saw somewhere that Wil isn't thrilled about the decision to make it part of alpha - the series would have been shot and produced before that decision was made I think. It'll be interesting to see if there's a season 5. I would back it on Kickstarter for sure, as long as it's then made available on YouTube or similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well i'm gonna pay for it, i like it too much not to. Anyone familiar with Alpha? Hope it's not gonna be like 70$ to watch the whole season.

the free episodes will be:

1. Fury of dracula
2. Mysterium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TableTop_(web_series)

Should probably dl the youtube eps so they don't get caught behind a paywall soon too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WisdomForWizards wrote:
Yeah, I like the show, and it introduced a lot of games to me. But I'm not paying money for a video subscription to watch it. I'll wait for when it's free.

My thoughts too.

I find it silly fun though some episodes are better than others. I think the banter can be fun and some of the guests pretty funny to watch too. Since I didn't rediscover boardgaming until last January, it really helped build my enthusiasm for playing more.

That being said, there's no way I would ever pay to watch. I'll probably wait and then forget about it until something spurns me to go look again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From Wil's blog:

Quote:

Hey look, Legendary decided to release Season 4 of Tabletop tomorrow … sort of.

The first two episodes of the season will be on YouTube as usual, then Legendary’s moving the show to their Alpha subscription service.

The show will continue to stream on Alpha, and then, on January 30, 2017, the Alpha exclusivity window will end, and show will pick back up on YouTube with episode 3. So if you choose not to sign up for Legendary’s streaming subscription service, that’s when you’ll be able to find our show where it’s always been.

At the moment, I can’t really share my personal feelings on this whole thing, but I’m pretty sure that I can say this: however and whenever and wherever you choose to watch our show, I hope you enjoy it. It’s a good season, and I’m really proud of it.

Make of that what you will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Budapest wrote:
Maybe it's because I work in the entertainment industry, but I don't mind paying for something I watch. I know the hard work that the technicians put it to create a quality show. It's hard to get funding for indie projects and it's not surprising to me to see creators experimenting with different revenue streams. I applaud the efforts of the cast and crew of Tabletop. Board gamers are a niche demographic and board gamers that watch videos of board gamers is even more niche.

I don't mind paying for things, but I don't want to register for a whole service just for one thing.

Fundamentally, it's unsustainable for consumers to buy into services to get everything they want to watch. If thirty different production companies each are releasing to their own closed system, then you need to sign up to 30 different systems, and then hope that there's some medium (Roku?) that actually allows you to access all 30. That's just silly. There's no realistic reason, in the 21st century, for us to fall back onto the channel model of entertainment. All content should just be available on all systems.

Content distribution should be fighting on pricing schemes, customer support, etc. Exclusive content deals aren't particularly effective at bringing in customers (Alpha is certainly not going to take off and become a whole new Hulu or Netflix or whatever because they got Tabletop, nor will Go90 become a thing because they got some Marvel interviews and ComicBookGirl19 to do a show) and all they do is annoy the general public.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Will all eps be on YouTube at a much later date?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.