1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: CCG MTG getting too expensive to LCG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rathma P.
Canada
flag msg tools
My son loves MTG, but it's getting too expensive with buying expansions, boosters, etc. I want to move over to LCG, at least these games are some what fixed and not overwhelming as MTG with all the different sets and cards and expansions and rules. What would be a good LCG that I can play with my son that he will enjoy. Doesn't have to be a 2 player LCG specifically as he may want to have friends to play with as well.

The one that comes mind is Legendary: A marvel deck building game since he likes the marvel universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Chrisco
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
To clarify, Legendary is not an LCG. It is a deckbuilder - you will build your deck in each game, not before.

There are many popular LCGs, depending on if you're looking for purely coop/solo play (The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game) or more "PvP" (A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition)).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't assume a LCG is less expensive. Some BGG'ers have argued that it's just as expensive, but at least removes the hassle (?) of trading.

But DO pick up Legendary! My friend loves it and has all the Legendary sets. The holiday sales already started, so hang around the Hot Deals forum and pick up a few games! (Oh, and you can buy Legendary for your kid while you're at it!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for an inexpensive way to play magic. When a new set comes out Ebay has sets of 4x uncommon and common lots. These go around $30-$40. You get hundreds of cards to play with and are guaranteed playsets. Sounds like you are mostly playing kitchen table Magic so your power level would be on par with each other. This is about the same cost as it would be to keep up with any LCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Don't assume a LCG is less expensive. Some BGG'ers have argued that it's just as expensive, but at least removes the hassle (?) of trading.

Hahahaha. BGGers are funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how old your son is, but Netrunner is my go-to. It is an amazingly deep game. It may be over his head. Not due to difficulty but because you don't really "see" the game for what it is until you've played it a few times. Hard to recommend it, really. But, incredible game.

If you're interested in co-op, you can get in at the ground floor with Arkham Horror the Card Game. It's been super fun. Not out for bit (before the end of November, I think). It would also be much less wallet-biting being able to buy a set at a time rather than having a bunch of stuff ready to purchase all at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gordon
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So to tack a slightly different course, if he really likes the "crack a pack" what goodies are in there dopamine hit perhaps consider a game like Millennium Blades. This is a game where you will be building and optimizing a deck in real time while managing your cash.

With just the base game there are Crazy amounts of sets to play with. It really scratches the itch of breaking the seal on new MTG product for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Look at epic card game. It's made by people that played magic the gathering, is essentially a rip off of that game, is cheap, fun, and actually fixes some things that many think is wrong with magic. As a former magic player, I fully enjoy this game.

Also, I play the magic the gathering commander decks for fun. I don't edit them, I just play the commander decks as packaged and treat it as a LCG.

You could also try using Magic the Gathering: Arena of the Planeswalkers as a gateway drug to steer him towards other types of games if you're interested in such an attempt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Sam and Max wrote:

But DO pick up Legendary! My friend loves it and has all the Legendary sets. The holiday sales already started, so hang around the Hot Deals forum and pick up a few games! (Oh, and you can buy Legendary for your kid while you're at it!)

I don't think any LCG can come close to the expense of playing competitive MTG. When a single decks costs $1,000 or more, the value of a LCG at that price gives you way more than a single deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LCG's are great, and they ARE way less expensive than MTG. LCGs do still cost money to keep up with, this involves buying $15 packs of new cards about 8 times a year. What's good about this is that you can actually have every card out there for an lcg, you can build any deck for any faction, and experiment with all those possibilities. This was always a big part of my enjoyment of constructed card games, and to accomplish anything close to this with MTG is a huge cost.

Legendary is great fun! Not an lcg but in some ways legendary lives up to the name "living card game" better because all the cards are always relevant, you build different scenarios pusposefully or randomly and every card presents a different option to use. In this way when I get new cards for legendary I really actually play with them, and they really offer something new.

In contrast to this New cards for lcgs (and even more so for MTG!) always have a number of cards that aren't actually good enough to merit consideration in a deck.

If your main interest is just a good game similar to magic that can be played at a really high level, I cannot reccomend enough the games of David Sirlin:
Codex: Card time strategy
Yomi
Puzzle Strike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Tavener
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While not technically a LCG, Epic Card Game could be a good fix. Play is very similar to Magic, and you could buy 2 sets and both play constructed, or 1 set and play draft. My girlfriend and I enjoy playing this game in dark draft.

The one issue I've found in the past with LCG, is that the game demands you constantly remake constructed decks. This in itself isn't the problem, but the problem comes up when one person loves constructing decks and the other doesn't. My girlfriend and I both loved playing Android: Netrunner, when we first got it. But then as we collected more sets, and my interest in constructing decks grew, we both ended up going different ways with the game. She just wanted to use her regular favourite decks, and I was always trying to build the latest and greatest and 'test' them with her, which really detracted from the gaming experience for her. Ended up, I would go to Netrunner game nights and tournaments to play with others, and the game became rather divisive for our shared board gaming hobby. I sold all the cards eventually, of my own accord, so that we could enjoy games together again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify, LCG is a trademark of Fantasy Flight, used for their ever-expanding card games with all card releases coming in non-blind boosters and boxes.

Just like you can't buy Puffs brand Kleenex (Kleenex is the trademark name for a tissue) or a Dell Xerox machine (Xerox is a brand name for copier), Legendary is not an LCG (tm) but it is a card game with all card releases coming in non-blind boosters and boxes.

Epic is probably the closest to Magic but with a lot less cards. I would suggest buying the Common/Uncommon sets and building a cube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:
Sam and Max wrote:

Hahahaha. BGGers are funny.

I agree with the implication that these two things are not even in the same ballpark, long-term.

It's worth saying though that if you want to jump in to a well-established LCG that's been running 3-4 years and get all of the cards, that can be expensive. Getting everything for Netrunner is likely to cost $400-500.

I think Netrunner and Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn are the best two recommendations for equal gameplay depth. It's worth noting though that neither of these are exactly the same as Magic. Netrunner has similarities at a strategic level which aren't immediately obvious, and differs at a tactical level in ways that are immediately obvious.

Ashes, on the other hand, has tactical mechanics that make it seem a lot more akin to Magic, but differs subtly in strategy in ways that won't be immediately obvious until you're pretty "good" at the game. Ashes hasn't been out at long, so you can get "everything" for this game for around $150-170, other than since F2Z got bought by Asmodee, the reprints on the 2nd set of expansions are delayed (I got caught by this myself and don't have them yet, either). You probably want to order it from Plaid Hat Games to get the promos - they're relatively important for this game, and you get them for free by buying from PHG instead of someplace like Miniature Market or Coolstuffinc. If you do buy elsewhere, you can get the promos later for $5 each from PHG (and then get murdered for shipping).

If your son isn't an advanced Magic player, then Epic might be a better/easier match based on what I know of it by reputation, but I haven't played it myself. This game is *very* cheap compared to all of what I would consider are your other reasonable options as well, so honestly, I'd consider picking that up to try even if you decide to also try something else.

Codex gets an honorable mention from me too, even though I haven't played it myself yet. I suspect I'm going to end up buying it and I suspect I'll enjoy it when I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Kirksey
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rathmax wrote:
My son loves MTG, but it's getting too expensive with buying expansions, boosters, etc. I want to move over to LCG, at least these games are some what fixed and not overwhelming as MTG with all the different sets and cards and expansions and rules. What would be a good LCG that I can play with my son that he will enjoy. Doesn't have to be a 2 player LCG specifically as he may want to have friends to play with as well.

The one that comes mind is Legendary: A marvel deck building game since he likes the marvel universe.

Ashes, Codex, and Mage Wars Academy are your best bets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric L
United States
Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
MtG is only as expensive as you make it. If you limit yourself to inexpensive cards and stay out of the competitive card shop scene, you can enjoy the MtG experience without the big $.

Once you know how to play, putting together inexpensive decks or building a draft cube full of cheap fun cards shouldn't be too difficult for you. It takes some research, but that part's fun too. Set yourselves arbitrary limits, like "any 60 cards, less than $10 total", or "only commons from the current sets" (..they are practically free!) - and have fun.

If it's an issue of being unable to adhere to such limits.. well, that's a whole separate thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
herl wrote:
MtG is only as expensive as you make it. If you limit yourself to inexpensive cards and stay out of the competitive card shop scene, you can enjoy the MtG experience without the big $.

Once you know how to play, putting together inexpensive decks or building a draft cube full of cheap fun cards shouldn't be too difficult for you. It takes some research, but that part's fun too. Set yourselves arbitrary limits, like "any 60 cards, less than $10 total", or "only commons from the current sets" (..they are practically free!) - and have fun.

If it's an issue of being unable to adhere to such limits.. well, that's a whole separate thing

While this may work in theory, if he plays mtg he will end up playing with others that play magic and then he will be trying to feed his addiction not before long. It is better he find a different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric L
United States
Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
bbblasterfire wrote:
herl wrote:

While this may work in theory, if he plays mtg he will end up playing with others that play magic and then he will be trying to feed his addiction not before long. It is better he find a different game.

Respectfully disagree. MtG is an outstanding game- it offers so much in the way of depth, variety, and customizable-able-ness(not a word). It's a shame to write it off because one has the option to spend a literal billion $ on it. ..It really is simply a matter of setting limits that make sense and adhering to them.

Again, if the issue is adhering to self-imposed limitations, that is a separate issue. And in that case, buying new games may also not be a great answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
herl wrote:
bbblasterfire wrote:
herl wrote:

Respectfully disagree. MtG is an outstanding game- it offers so much in the way of depth, variety, and customizable-able-ness(not a word). It's a shame to write it off because one has the option to spend a literal billion $ on it. ..It really is simply a matter of setting limits that make sense and adhering to them.

Again, if the issue is adhering to self-imposed limitations, that is a separate issue. And in that case, buying new games may also not be a great answer.

Yeah, taking the time to teach him budgeting and portfolio management skills might be better in the long run than listening to everyone who has an answer to "my son loves this, so I want to make him do something else, what should it be?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gordon
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

Yeah, taking the time to teach him budgeting and portfolio management skills might be better in the long run than listening to everyone who has an answer to "my son loves this, so I want to make him do something else, what should it be?"

So an economic game like Acquire or one of the stocks type games in the 18XX family?

Just kidding I think there is a plethora of good advice of all kinds here if you move to LCG model or stick with MTG money management may be a key thing to learn.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Epic Card Game. Very close to Magic and so well designed. It's a shame this game is so vastly underrated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
mgk2020 wrote:
rathmax wrote:

Ashes, Codex, and Mage Wars Academy are your best bets.

Oh man I wasn't even thinking of Mage wars. This is a solid suggestion. I think academy is a good starting point. Mage wars arena isn't for the feint of heart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick up ashes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
United States
Summit
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars!

Seriously, you have to try this one out. Though, if building decks is something that he (and you) love to do, there is less of that in SW. Sure, you can deckbuild, but the cardpool for deckbuilding is pretty limited.

The only LCG I have played is Netrunner. Also amazing. Much more complex than Summoner Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
herl wrote:
Respectfully disagree. MtG is an outstanding game- it offers so much in the way of depth, variety, and customizable-able-ness(not a word).
And I respectfully disagree that MtG is an outstanding game.
It has a larger card-pool than every other XCG (i.e. TCG/CCG/LCG), but that doesn't make it a great game.

It's the grandfather of deck construction games and it shows. There's plenty of other XCGs that have learned from MtGs design mistakes (e.g. its resource system) and are better games for it.

However, an important consideration should be the number of active players: MtG clearly has the largest player-base, so no matter what XCG you choose, be aware that you need to find other players to play against.

(Unless one of the solo XCG's an option, i.e. The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game or the brand-new Arkham Horror: The Card Game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric L
United States
Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
jhaelen wrote:
herl wrote:
Respectfully disagree. MtG is an outstanding game- it offers so much in the way of depth, variety, and customizable-able-ness(not a word).
And I respectfully disagree that MtG is an outstanding game.
It has a larger card-pool than every other XCG (i.e. TCG/CCG/LCG), but that doesn't make it a great game.

Obviously it takes more than a large card pool to make a great game. MtG is my only '10' ..and I have played a lot of games. The large card pool is a plus - especially for developing custom (less expensive) formats. The fact that you can grow into a thriving competitive scene if you choose is also a plus.

My whole point here is if the OP's son loves MtG, that's great! My kids love MtG and we get hours of enjoyable family time playing it, finding cards, building new decks, trying new formats. If you take the time to learn the game (which admittedly, is not easy) - you can take advantage of the enormous (..fascinating, historical, sometimes bizarre) card pool to get real MtG gameplay for pennies on the dollar. And there are some great life lessons along the way. Perhaps a better option than chasing down new games to try to replace one he already knows and loves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.