Subject: "adventure Game" solo recommendation required rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jan hendrik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello Fellow gamers!!

I Have recently looked in to a Game called world of Warcraft the Board Game since it was available for me for a Nice price. But after seeing the size of the Game i almost Fell of off my chair. The size is Just to bigg for me.

I am looking for a Game in either a Fantasy setting (i.e. Dungeon Crawl) or a medieval kind of Game. I dont really Mind other genres but these are the genres i generally go to, since they Have my interest.
The problem is, im looking for something where i get some character development, some Nice fighting (preferably dice chucking) and No need for a whole campaign since i Just like to have a sitdown Every now and then and pick myself a Quest/scenario.

Footprint is a bit of a thing for me, i cant really handle those huge Games on my table, but still im looking for a Nice Experience for a solo gamer that isnt repetitive fast.
As i said, im ok with coop Games but i am really looking for solo games since i dont really Have anyone to play with often.

Ive seen some Games like wow the Board Game wich was Just to bigg for me, but the character development and Gameplay got my attention. Also seen Games like Robinson crusoe, and mage knight but somehow they dont appeal to me that much.

Any suggestions ? I am into Dungeon crawling/brawling with enemies, but i try to avoid Games with allot of resource/management going on.

Thanks so far, i will continue my search and hope you all Have some suggestions that appeal to me!! Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it yet, but maybe Aventuria Adventure Card Game could be somerhing for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan hendrik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you, will check it out!

Forgot to mention, im a bigg lover of miniaturessurprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugenio
Argentina
flag msg tools
I'm in the same boat as you and these are the ones that I'm considering:

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients
Zombicide: Black Plague

Can't decide yet thoug cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind a bit of a childish theme, then you could like Mice and Mystics. Minuatures, dice rolling, story-telling, fighting, lots of RPG-elements, but quite light and not too long. And it's very well playable solo.

If you don't mind a zombie theme, you should also take a look at one of the Zombicide games. I have played Zombicide: Black Plague and it was a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gordon
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A small box game that may scratch this itch may be Lost Woods. I am not sure how available it is outside of the kickstarter.

Perhaps a Story game like Above and Below may be something to consider as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I normally suggezt Magic Realm, but it has a pretty big footprint. I can set it up for 1 player on a small card table (33 inches square)

It is a little tight on that table, but it does work. Great solo experience, but it is a complex game. Takes some dedication to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan hendrik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
@eugenio, i am allready in possesion of An Out of print Game wich is in my opinion More sci fi called gears of War the Board Game. If u can get a hold of that one, its worth it solo! Will check out your suggestions. Doesnt descend need a DM or didnt i look into the 2nd edition rules well enough??

Zombicide seems a to have kind off a bigg Foot print, or is it smaller than it looks? Have you played it solo? Is there enough quests/missions to.keep you going for a while?

Above and below? Story game? Never heared of that kind of Game. Ive seen reviews of the 7th continent wich Made me think of the create your own adventure books. But never heared of story Games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) seems to fit the bill...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugenio
Argentina
flag msg tools
brullemans wrote:
@eugenio, i am allready in possesion of An Out of print Game wich is in my opinion More sci fi called gears of War the Board Game. If u can get a hold of that one, its worth it solo! Will check out your suggestions. Doesnt descend need a DM or didnt i look into the 2nd edition rules well enough??

Zombicide seems a to have kind off a bigg Foot print, or is it smaller than it looks? Have you played it solo? Is there enough quests/missions to.keep you going for a while?

Above and below? Story game? Never heared of that kind of Game. Ive seen reviews of the 7th continent wich Made me think of the create your own adventure books. But never heared of story Games!

I haven't played any of them sadly, but I'm trying to decide which one to get.
From what I read, Descent Second Edition has now an app that plays as the DM and there are solo rules here on BGG.
I've heard about Gears Of War, but I prefer a fantasy/adventure/dungeon theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan hendrik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
@mark, you say talisman, but istn that a huge Board for 2+ players? Since im looking for a not-so-huge as wow footprint and solo-able Game!

@eugenio, to be honost the app Games dont really appeal to me. I Just cant stop thinking..what happens in 2-3 years when they, for example, dont support the app anymore?
I tend to look for solo/coop Games Without the whole Tech Part haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound (Third Edition) is the game you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you will have to cut some of your requirements.
Miniatures, scenarios, fighting, dice rolling and a small footprint seems to be kind of a contradiction.

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is playable solo, obviously has a fantasy setting, has a small footprint, has customizable player decks and relatively short quests. But it has no miniatures and no dice rolling.

I haven't played Zombicide:Black Plaque solo, but I guess it works quite well. It would fit a lot of your needs (especially the very cool miniatures), but it sure has no small footprint.

7th continent could be an option, but it's not published yet and I guess it will take some more time until it finally is.

Above and Beyond got suggested, but I don't think it is playable solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
liam machell
Greece
KERKYRA
CORFU
flag msg tools
1.For a light game I would recommend rune bound 3rd edition (the new one) it really surprised me and is highly enjoyable and straightforward.

2.The dungeons and dragons adventure series there are 4 big boxes available and will scratch that dungeon crawling itch. They are simple and quick to play and have a campaign system.

3.Of course the best is mage knight, but this is a complex, long but highly rewarding game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Runebound (Third Edition) is the game you're looking for.

+1
Runebound fits the bill perfectly except for maybe the footprint, Maybe you can state the size of your table. If you want to check out Runebound and you live near Tilburg you could join on an evening of Vereniging AanZ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two good adventure games with a small footprint:
- Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game (warning: due to the GW license being withdrawn this won't be available for much longer)
- Assault on Doomrock uses dice for action selection, not to determine attack results
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

Won't scratch your miniatures itch, however...

EDIT: I see you already own it, sorry...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower could be worth a look.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkest Night (First edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
games that work really well solo in this category:

Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) - with the app or POD expansions
Runebound (Second Edition) - third edition is better, but second one works better solo
Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game
Thunderstone Advance: Worlds Collide - or any other thunderstone set
DungeonQuest Revised Edition
Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game - and all other games in the series.
Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King - if Descent is too heavy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowpass wrote:
If you don't mind a bit of a childish theme, then you could like Mice and Mystics. Minuatures, dice rolling, story-telling, fighting, lots of RPG-elements, but quite light and not too long. And it's very well playable solo.

I was about to suggest the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
flag msg tools
mb
Even though I don't like it myself, pathfinder adventure card game might scratch your itch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My TOP1 for solo adventure experience is Darkest Night with all expansions. Every game is different and it is really easy to scale the difficulty (if Necromancer hands over to you your a** too often or vice versa). Character development in Darkest Night is... minor. But the story that unfolds during gameplay - you can write a book out of it. Each game is different story (only the end looks sameish - kill that evil Necro!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight and a bigger table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've become a fan of Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game and its related system of games. Initially I was underwhelmed by the series (my first play was with Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game and it just didn't feel right), but after mashing together what I felt were the best parts of each game in the series, I've ended up with a fun, fantasy-gothic-horror game that boasts character development, quick setup and teardown, lots of replayability... it's just plain good.

While it might look like a big footprint, I've had it set up on some relatively small tables and done just fine. It's certainly no Descent or Arkham Horror!

And although much of the content-generating fan community has moved on to other games, there's TONS of unofficial material to keep you busy for a long, long time. Good stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.