Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » General

Subject: ZBP Painting Times rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Ross
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
If you've painted your core box of miniatures for black plague, about how long did it take you to finish the whole set?

(I understand that everyone will paint at a different level and pace - just curious)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
I didn't do any prepping or washing the minis (supposedly to release mold agent), but setting them up and priming them all took about an hour.

Then I painted the zombies in groups of five or six models, each group took about 1.5 hours x 10 groups = 15 hours
About an hour each for the Necromancer and Abomination: 2 hours
About an hour per hero: 6 hours

About 24 hours over the course of three weeks. Because I'm a nerd, I have a painting log. This includes some kickstarter extras (it's 83 figures, the base game has 71), but here's how it all went down. The date is the date I finished the models (applied the final wash!), some I started a bit here and there beforehand.

1-Aug-16 5 Zombicide Black Plague runners
2-Aug-16 6 ZBP walkers
3-Aug-16 6 ZBP fatties
4-Aug-16 12 ZBP walkers
5-Aug-16 6 ZBP walkers
6-Aug-16 17 14 ZBP walkers, 1 fatty, 1 runner, Necromancer
7-Aug-16 12 ZBP runners
8-Aug-16 1 ZBP base set abomination
12-Aug-16 12 ZBP fatties
20-Aug-16 2 ZBP heroes, dwarf n elf
21-Aug-16 4 ZBP remaining base set heroes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ross
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow! Thanks Matt. This is very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Damn you're fast! Each group of zombies took me probably 3 hours. The abomination, necromancer and heroes (all done to a higher quality level) about 4 hours a peace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef Kevin
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
Yes, that's me in the latte!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've finished my core set, but I was on and off with painting some expansions/exclusive minis as well. I think if I was focused I could have knocked it out in 2-4 weeks.I can usually paint 4 a night of zombies (about 45 min a piece). Give or take how detailed an how many colors). I've been spending an evening a hero (~3 hours), but again, how much time I want to spend on it varies the time quite a bit.

Since I got Mansions of Madness I've been going back and forth painting the different game minis. The quality of plastic between the two is unreal. I always get a bit more joy painting CMON minis.

Don't know what I'll do when Arcadia Quest Inferno arrives. I've got enough entertainment in painting for at least 18 months. I don't want to think about how much time I've spent painting vs. playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
I've got a friend who does all sorts of highlighting and reapplying colors post wash to really make them look nice.

Speed comes at a cost - they don't look awesome (but they're freakin' zombies!)

I just primed in the color the zombie skin would be (gray, or sometimes a beige-ish color), applied 3-4 colors on their clothes, belt, gloves, etc, then washed in Seraphim Sepia (GW) or nuln oil (also GW) and done.

I would spend a little more time on the heroes, but not that much more, really.

They're perfectly passable figures and would look pretty good in any RPG (much nicer than most of the old WoTC DnD prepaints, for example) but they ain't gonna win any paint competitions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I put in about 2 hours per hero, maybe slightly less if there are a few with very similar colors. I'm not even doing anything particularly special with most of them, there are just a ton of details. Main coat, wash, and maybe a couple of highlights.

For the zombies, I did them really quick. I primed them black, then sprayed them grey from slightly above, and then white from straight above. I then gave them a watered down black wash, and then washed the clothes with a sepia wash (Although worth noting, in the photo below, this was the first set I painted, without the sepia wash. I don't have pictures of the second set with the different colored washes). The NPC's were all black wash, no sepia, and the archers were with a green and orange wash, everything watered down. This makes them close to black and white, and they stand out on the board from the heroes. I'd say the batch of them took about 8 hours.

Add to this about an hour to clean everything and prime, and the time to spray clear coat a few times, it was probably about 20-25 hours for the base game. For the Kickstarter stuff I've been doing 2 sets (one to keep, one to sell), so it's about 4 hours per hero pair. Needless to say, with the Others, Imperial Assault, and a few other miniatures based games, I'm probably not going to be finished until season 2 is released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
slydog75 wrote:
Damn you're fast! Each group of zombies took me probably 3 hours. The abomination, necromancer and heroes (all done to a higher quality level) about 4 hours a peace.

Im glad someone is painting at the same speed as me. for a while i thought i was very slow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I speed-paint the zombies - Army Painter Necrotic Flesh spray so the skin is already done, paint the clothes and then a muddy wash to cover my poor quality work. It doesn't take very long. Then I spend a lot more time on the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stanford
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
On a related note, has anyone tried the ZBP set from Army Painter?

(http://shop.thearmypainter.com/products.php?ProductGroupId=1... Zombicide Black Plague Set)

Any good for a noob painter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam ko
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
phoenixandy wrote:

(http://shop.thearmypainter.com/products.php?ProductGroupId=1... Zombicide Black Plague Set)

Any good for a noob painter?
I bought it when there was a bundle including it with primer spray and free paints.

I didn't liked the texture of these paints, I feel that they lack coverage. But maybe it's just that I'm accustomed to another brand, others have said that they like them.
The free brush is usable but not very good quality. It's still interesting if you start for zero.

Lastly, the colors in the set are aimed at the zombies, to paint the survivors you will need additional paints (at least a flesh tone).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Timmermans
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Roughly 2 hours of removing moldlines and washing the minis.
About 30 minutes for putting the minis on sticks and spraypriming
Then about 2 - 2,5 hours per batch of 5 zombies, and about 5 hours for the 6 survivors (took my time a bit more with them as they stand out on the board, plus made some mistakes on the nun that I needed to fix by basically doing the entire mini over).

That's just for the core-box though. The Zombie bosses are a whole different story

RE: the Army Painter set; it's a decent deal and certainly worth it as an entry point. The included brush is rubbish though, get some proper ones instead. Some of the paints will frustrate you as they don't mix that well, but an agitator ball in the dropper fixes that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you are concerned about taking the game out of circulation as you paint, as I was, I just had a revelation on the weekend.

If you have the NPC set - that's twenty zombies. Use the white bases to mark them and, well, in this game, a white base is a runner, in the next, a fatty. Continue substituting while you take up to 20 out for painting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
per ekelund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
markblasco wrote:
I put in about 2 hours per hero, maybe slightly less if there are a few with very similar colors. I'm not even doing anything particularly special with most of them, there are just a ton of details. Main coat, wash, and maybe a couple of highlights.

For the zombies, I did them really quick. I primed them black, then sprayed them grey from slightly above, and then white from straight above. I then gave them a watered down black wash, and then washed the clothes with a sepia wash (Although worth noting, in the photo below, this was the first set I painted, without the sepia wash. I don't have pictures of the second set with the different colored washes). The NPC's were all black wash, no sepia, and the archers were with a green and orange wash, everything watered down. This makes them close to black and white, and they stand out on the board from the heroes. I'd say the batch of them took about 8 hours.

Add to this about an hour to clean everything and prime, and the time to spray clear coat a few times, it was probably about 20-25 hours for the base game. For the Kickstarter stuff I've been doing 2 sets (one to keep, one to sell), so it's about 4 hours per hero pair. Needless to say, with the Others, Imperial Assault, and a few other miniatures based games, I'm probably not going to be finished until season 2 is released.

Mark, what paint are you using for the blood ? I find it quite awsome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
phoenixandy wrote:

I have the Zombicide paints and can recommend them. I would use them with the Quickshade Ink set in the eye droppers. This ink set are washes, which can also be used to thin the Zombicide paints, which are on the thick side, for one-coat coverage. You can also use the inks for various differently colored zombies (eg. Purple Tone for purple-skinned zombies, and Flesh Tone for flesh-skinned zombies). Big pics ahead, so you can see the names of the paints they're using and compare paint colors between sets.

The ZBP set is good for zombies, but lacks a flesh color for the heroes. Note that the ZBP Plague Shader assumes green zombies (Necrotic Flesh color primer).

The original Zombicide Core Set and Survivor set should also work. Note that the Zombie Shader in the Core Set assumes an ochre brown zombie (Skeleton Bone color primer). The Core set comes with fresh and dried blook (Glistening Blood and Crusted Sore). Pick up the Survivor set for flesh tone, metal, and additional color shades and washes (shader). (If you like orange and purple, pick up the Toxic/Prison Zombicide paint set.) See my profile for Zombicide painting tutorials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.