Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott DeMers
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a 5 player game last night and all agreed it was a hoot.

Our one complaint was that it was easy to figure out who the traitor was with a few searches and a few shares where each player shared everything we knew. It then became a game of 4 players playing the game and one person who knew he could not kill everyone else, so he went through the motions.

We did have better than average luck on our searches, but not overtly so. Once one player knew, it quickly spread to everyone else.

Has anyone else encountered this? What have people encountered around discovering the traitor?

Anxious to play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

*subscribed*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

An interesting question. I haven't played the game but only twice (2 & 3 players), yet I am excited to play it more. So my reply is more from enthusiasm than it is from experience, thusly take it FWIW...

I'd assume first off, that a lot depends on player count. Secondly, it also seems that for every action taken to explore the clues is one less action taken to deduce Klein's Lair. And in my two-game experience, the race was more about deducing Klein's lair before his 3rd attack, than anything else.

In both my games, it was a challenge to do all the peeking that we needed to do in order to deduce Klein's Lair in a timely manner. We all assumed that we'd have to wait just a little later before spending actions to look at the clues.

Why? Well, remember that if Klein attacks for a 3rd time, then after that attack is resolved, ALL remaining locations also get attacked. And unless you're playing with some smart players, and/or have spent actions grabbing hiding places, that threat of the massive attack at the end of the act is troublesome. So the goal is to always find Klein's Lair before his 3rd attack, which of course makes every action precious - enough so that you're always weighing the advantages of either Peeking or Hiding or Searching.

Also, the exposure track is a killer (sorry about the bad pun)! Thusly, in low player count games, you have to do a lot of peeking, which reduces your opportunities for searching or hiding, and increases your exposure, which brings the next attack even faster!

So maybe it is a player count issue? With more players, you have more opportunity to split the responsibilities between Peeking & Searching. But then also, with more players, the probability of one of them being the killer also increases! So if you split up responsibilities so to rely on each other to share information, it's more and more likely that some of the info will be bad. That's a risk which has to be considered.

Like I said in my opening, I haven't played the game enough to share an educated response, but my above thoughts are what I expect!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott, how many players won that game? Just knowing who Klein is isn't enough to win -- you also have to survive all three Acts. So I can see that if people are really interested in knowing who Klein is, they can easily do it, but at the expense of actually winning the game. As Barry said, you have to spend most of your actions doing things other than Searching in order to be able to actually survive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.