Subject: Core + Vale of Magic: Always all Tier 2 & 3 Advancements? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Zukowski
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hi all,

Had a quick question. By base rules it looks like you always use all your Tier 2 & 3 advancements, even with the Vale of Magic Expansion, is that true?

Just strikes me as very odd as you have a significantly limited number of Tier 1 cards.

Have I been doing this right or had a glaring issue with reading the rules?

If I have been doing it right, anyone experimented with limiting the Tier 2 & 3 advancements? Just feels a bit boring always having all the Tier 2 & 3 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the rules as printed in Vale of Magic are best. Remember that when the Tier 1 Advancements have been used up, that row is filled by Tier 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1657886/after-shuffling-expa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You only use a limited number of Tier 1 advancements as they become less useful as players get more buying power; so as the game progresses they eventually get replaced with more tier 2 options.

Using fewer tier 2 and 3 options would just mean you would run entirely out of buying choices, which wouldn't be much fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Owen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Last night we played a game where we limited the number of cards (both achievements and vales) to the original numbers of the base game. It seemed to play fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
You only use a limited number of Tier 1 advancements as they become less useful as players get more buying power; so as the game progresses they eventually get replaced with more tier 2 options.

Using fewer tier 2 and 3 options would just mean you would run entirely out of buying choices, which wouldn't be much fun.

I agree that limiting the level 2 and 3 options would be a bad idea, but I'm not entirely happy with the card limits to level 1 in the base game either.

I find that the total number of cards for level 1, especially when the new expansion is added in, can severely limit early synergies and create balance problems.

Part of the problem I believe is that the "deck fixing" level 1 cards are almost always inferior to income generation and vale symbols. It doesn't seem to be a problem if there are only one or two of those cards in the mix, but if the level 1 set is heavily weighted towards deck fixing then it seems the lucky player/s that is able to buy the income cards has a leg up.

Does anyone else feel this is an issue? Maybe it has been discussed before and I just didn't see the thread. I have toyed with a few variants to fix the issue, just upping the numbers to something like 15,18,20 can help the problem. Although I am leaning towards just removing 1-2 copies of the cards I think are much weaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.