$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 78.69

5,307 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
33.4% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

As anticipated, commander in chief General Wife was summoned to the plexiglass summit meeting for a return engagement of Combat COmmander. Her mission, which she chose to accept, was to manoeuvre her band of Russians across map 1 and overwhelm the crap team of Germans coming in the other direction. Usually a crack team of Germans is sent, but this platoon is hampered from the get go by a horse faced numpty leader, hoping to engage the missus in a lot more action than rules checking and generally getting her on board the steam train that is Combat Commander.

I've heard that fat lipki is a boring scenario and actively puts people off the game. WOW. IF this represents a bad scenario, I guess I'm in for a real treat because I think it's awesome. THe Russian commander dropped a concealment action to finish and chose 'duvet' as her terrain. POor cover, and only a hindrance to fire attacks but +3 on cozy rolls. Unfortunately there will be a delay in proceedings as I have a VASSAL engagement lined up for tomorrow and more fat lipki action, then possibly Tigris at work on Thursday so maybe Friday it Saturday before this gets finished off.

Low key objectives, a VP for house 4 (open) and a VP for house 1 (secret) for me, the Germans. Open objective was doubled exit VP. SO a mad dash scramble perhaps.

Von K up the middle with 2 squads and the LMG, winkler and 2 squads up the right, Kovalev coming from the left, and krylov on the long flank road down the right. Standard fare, he says, in his 2nd 'proper' game

Everythong much smoother this time, a few rules checks and a momentary confusion about adding units onto fire groups that were firing through hindrance but a few more games and then another full on session with the rulebook and rules forums and I think we'll be good.

Totally engrossing action, the Russians sprinting towards the pond house and Von karsties moving into the first house en route to the pond house but getting hit by a lucky op fire shot and breaking as he crossed over to the pond house, an advance got him inside with his squad and LMG but we'd left a squad behind, and the Russian mob was just outside. With a recover card in hand and some juicy fire enhancing actions poised to poke out of the upstairs Windows and unleash hell, an event got veteran status on the lieutenant, obviously he'd learned valuable lessons during the bullet strewn dash into the pond house

What he'd NOT learned however was that preening in front of a window with your shiny new veteran badge is not the smartest idea with Russian snipers everywhere and SHITTY FAT DEATH TWAT if a totally crap fire attack roll against the Germans didn't pull a sniper, and what was the hex, yes, YES, oh yes it was. The pond house. Not even adjacent, a bucket right through the glass window and Von karsties slumps to the floor with a Russian bullet lodged in the side of his head. I don't know how the squad didn't receive a SHIT THEIR PANTS marker but I didn't find it in the counter tray.

Basically the situation is dire, the Russians advanced into the house, casually chucking away a team via an overstacking deploy because they painted the walls of the house with German blood, oh, those crazy Russians. One lone squad in the middle, he's already been broken, routed to the edge of the boRd, but at least now recovered and out of sight.

Winklers lot sT tight in cover by the other house, but the second Russian lot came jogging down the road without any fear and managed to break winkler and his men, again, this time a recover order sorted them out but they're outgunned, with only a couple of time advances left, and VP at 5-1=4 to the red army. But just as the sun began to set on the evenings action, a German hero emerged, inspired by winklers tenacity he sits poised to DO SOME SHIT, we don't know what yet, but he looks like he can run quite fast at least. Then, a support roll! I didn't want to pay 5 vp for another leader perhaps that was daft, I thought about the Ordnance gun, but felt like it was more thematic to drop in a parachute squad into the trees between the pond house and orchard house, he's already moved into position to join in the fray. I should probably have put the hero with the lone squad in the middle to try and hold up any Russian exit, but maybe if I can make a quick concentrated strike around the orchard house there's at least 8vp of elimination units and the same again doubled for getting the victorious group off the top of the map, so I am not giving up

OMG this game is utterly fantastic, it's making me a little bit giddy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Aachen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you enjoyed the game.

Onwards to the more important question: How did your wife like it? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the actual name of the late 'support roll'??

If it was Reinforcements or Infiltration then you do NOT need to pay for the unit you choose, it is free. Reinforcements come in on the German map edge. Infiltrators appear in or adjacent to a random hex.

Really glad to hear you are enjoying yourself. Hope the General is also having some fun.

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh shes really enjoying it too so I think I've secured a strategic victory at the full operational level. ah, I got so excited by the prospect of a reinforcement that I just went ahead and paid VP for it, but now that I know it's free maybe I should have sent in a new captain or a heavy hitting gun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Well, the action concluded last night with the Russian horde holding onto a sudden Death victory, starting at +1VP but having taken the two 1VP objective locations for a final win of +3.

A fantastic game which was poised on a knife edge throughout, an ill advised melee advance without an ambush card by the russians in the centre gave the germans hope of turning things round, but the main action centred around the orchard house Objective 4, several times the initiative card was flung back and forth in a desperate attempt to make the decisive blow with the germans outmanned but with a hero in tow, and a reinforcement making their way (the german commander who sent a parachute infiltration squad instead of a big weapon team or artillery unit have been relieved of their command) and the russians galvanised into a cohesive and heroic unit by cpt Krylov, sniper fire raining down around them, it was Epic stuff, and more importantly the wife loved it too, so I was more than happy to suffer a tactical defeat this time with the greater strategic goal in mind.

When i flipped the map over and saw this Amazing big house in the middle of the map, I began plotting out the main script Points for the next Movie in this series.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for reporting back to us. Sounds like it was a very good game.

And since the Uber-commander seems to have had fun, you could be looking at a LOT of future enjoyment. (My Ladyfriend Donna recently played her 600th game of Combat Commander. Our first-ever game was Fat Lipki, and she won as the Russians.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You guys have definitely been an inspiration Chick, not to mention giving us all the chance for some vicarious sight seeing!

I would love to follow in your footsteps and I am extremely grateful for the help and encouragement of my fellow combat commanders here, and if I tell you that I previously had 1100+ games listed as "owned", and have now cut down to less than 10, and that of those 10, most have been put on the shelf at work to play in multiplayer groups there, and that Combat Commander now occupies the entirety of my game shelf other than Twilight Struggle sneaking in the corner, then I can tell you that I currently don't see us playing anything else in the foreseeable future, and perhaps ever.

Games that fired ALL other games -> Combat Commander.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoJack - - YOWEE ! 1100 games !

My mind reels. I fail my Sanity roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Well about 700/400 base games with expansions and I bet I only played half of them. It was a crazy few years but I thankfully saw the light - eventually!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Trad

Alexandria
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
BoJack - - YOWEE ! 1100 games !

My mind reels. I fail my Sanity roll.

Ctuthulu hand Luke, the madness of Chick ala Bojack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.