Subject: What gets you gaming? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David McMullen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello! I really got into board gaming as a teenager about six months ago because of how it appeals to my low key personality. I am new to BGG and would love to know why you guys are into gaming. I want to know what gets people interested in all this so that maybe I could get a group of guys and gals (especially those who I don't already know) to come to an event I have planned at my local comic shop. So again, what got you in to board games and why are you still interested?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
I've always liked board games, I guess you know from an early age. But it only became my main hobby once I discovered gateway games, like Carcassonne.

Other factors: it's nice to tear ourselves away from tablets, mobiles, etc for a bit, and play around a table with real components! And my other hobby was so frustrating as it depended on the weather. Board and card games are so versatile, and you can even play solo.

Why am I still interested? I just love board games, in the way I love pizza. I just do!

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it was a confluence of several things:
- The increasing strategic complexity, variety and polish of board games in recent years
- The decreasing strategic complexity of my other favorite pastime (video games) along with the rise of online multiplayer gaming, which is not to my taste
- The fact that my spouse doesn't play video games, so now we can enjoy a hobby together
- The loss of dexterity as I get older and/or develop computer related repetitive stress
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iori Yagami
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also, the cuteness and colors of bits and pieces of a brutally mathematical engine beneath. The sheer elegance of interconnectedness of it all, the system which is beautiful at a glance as well as up close. The lack of game-breaking bugs (ok, some bg have degenerate strategies, but that's rare and unimportant). The tangibility of collection is also nice, just caress that cardboard and it will love you back (but, uh-oh, shelf space will hate you).
And the dislike toward pc games, which have less and less turn-based focus. I always preferred quest-type adventure games over platformers, turn-based strategy over real-time strategy, and stealth action over run-n-gun gorefests. Maybe I am getting older and can't click and aim fast enough?
And yes, I came from PC games. I don't see a lot of connection from childhood boardgames to modern boardgames at all. In my day (grumpy grampa voice), I didn't have any of that. (roll'n' move, abstracts like chess & checkers, playing cards dominoes and that's it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar reason to why I like non fiction books, it exercises my brain. I've loved gaming since my dad taught me chess at a very young age. Even more than planning my own moves I love to see what other people do and how they react to things, I find it fascinating. Plus it forces me to be social, which books do not do, which is an asset to an anti-social person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Macmillan
Canada
flag msg tools
Games are an easy reason to get friends and family together!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Roesch
United States
Hutto
Texas
flag msg tools
For me like a lot of people. It was because I used to play the big mass market retailer games as a kid with my family and always liked it. It wasn't until a combination of 2 things that got me into the wonderful world of modern board games that I did not know existed.

First was my wife said all we do is watch TV shows and movies. Which is true we currently watch 18 TV shows right now. The second was when my friend from college visited and asked if we had any board games. Which we really didn't at the time.

These two things plus me wanting to get away from my phone and technology spurred me to go surfing on the web and I found my first game Pandemic. We loved it. It can also be a cheaper hobby then video games. Since most video games even crappy ones are $50 - $60 dollars. But here I can find a good game for $15!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iori Yagami
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah yeah, but can you torrent a board game? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeps me of the streets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Copy Imitator
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been a videogameaddict for most of my life, but now that my job involves me sitting at a desk, staring at a screen for a whole day I want to come home and do anything but stare at a screen. I still have that gaming itch that needs to be scratched tho, so boardgames were a logical step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Voorter
Belgium
Dilsen-Stokkem
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well first of all, it's a nice way to get together with family & friends. It provides great memories and a lot of fun!

Furthermore, I just like it when i'm challenged strategically and tactically. I often want to play just to see which strategies I can come up with and even more importantly: which strategies my friends are going to use. Discussing those things and laughing about some terrible choices others made makes that I'm always looking forward to my next gamenight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iori_Yagami wrote:
Ah yeah, but can you torrent a board game? whistle

P&P?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
United States
State of Mind
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a sucker for a lot of dicey talk in my ear. I also like rubbing my fingers over some linen textured cards. It does not take much before GAME ON!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG! I loved playing games growing up and even made my own Star Wars themed game (wish I still had it around so I could know if it was any good!), but didn't really get into strategy/designer games until I was an adult. I think there's just something about it that clicks with me... I guess we could all probably say that. But what really got me into games was finding a game with a theme I enjoyed. I think for a lot of people (non-gamers) the first thing that will draw them is an exciting premise, then build on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PowerOfPinesol5 wrote:
Hello! I really got into board gaming as a teenager about six months ago because of how it appeals to my low key personality. I am new to BGG and would love to know why you guys are into gaming.

For most people (as with it was for me), it's quite "radically new". Many newcomers likely never experienced gameplay and design in the likes of Carcassonne, Catan, Ticket To Ride, Samurai, and Race For The Galaxy.

PowerOfPinesol5 wrote:
I want to know what gets people interested in all this so that maybe I could get a group of guys and gals (especially those who I don't already know) to come to an event I have planned at my local comic shop. So again, what got you in to board games and why are you still interested?

In the case of luring in newcomers, make it known that it is newcomer friendly....
--Mention that you're playing modern board games (give them some examples)
--describe that they can be taught and played in relatively short time (15 to 20 minutes, and 30 minutes to 2 hours respectively)
--mentioned that they do NOT need to already know how to play these games, nor supply their own

--specify stuff like if kids can join, singles, couples, etc.
--one thing I initially thought was weird was somebody asked me to take lots of pictures of women for a Meetup.com game group a decade ago. I asked folks first if they were comfy with me doing so, with the heads up that such pictures may end up on the Meetup group's Meetup page.
It turns out, showing pictures with lots of women playing the same games, even having fun whilst doing so can attract more of them, as it shows them that the group isn't just some "boy's club" with the associated stereotypes that would turn female gamers away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StercusCaput wrote:
I'm a sucker for a lot of dicey talk in my ear. I also like rubbing my fingers over some linen textured cards. It does not take much before GAME ON!

-whispers "natural 20, critical hit, double damage"-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMCarnochan wrote:
StercusCaput wrote:

Get a room!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
IMCarnochan wrote:
StercusCaput wrote:

Get a room!

You are the most judgmental cameraman we have ever hired, you are fired!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Chell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When people turn up to play games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for me, I found the hobby through a poster at the library. it made it sound like fun.

gaming is a great way for the socially anxious to interact, I am not sure how to convey that on a poster, but making it as inviting as possible, fun, but low key?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
candio wrote:
gaming is a great way for the socially anxious to interact, I am not sure how to convey that on a poster, but making it as inviting as possible, fun, but low key?

Not just the socially anxious, I use games as a bridge due to my Aspergers. It gives a framework for social interaction and a way to see people behave and react to things. It is fascinating. As Heraclitus allegedly said "Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaming is my default state.

Pete (has too many deviations going on)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Langer
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it was the same as some others, a way to get my family together that didn't involve television. We started with some gateways like Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne. Those developed into more in depth games, and now we play all kinds together.

We also met a couple of other couples in town, and now get together every three to four weeks at each other's homes for a gaming afternoon. We eat, drink, and play games. We have tons of fun, there isnt any competitiveness between anyone, so it is just fun. Our children have grown up together, they all now go to the same school, and we all have gained some fantastic friends through gaming.

Gaming has never been about winning for me, even as a kid, but more the social aspect it brings. I would take 100 losses with good friends or family, to 1 game won with a bad group who just wanted to win and wasn't playing for fun. Don't get me wrong it is great to win, but not my main objective at all.

Good luck on your event, hopefully it goes smooth and you bring in some new gamers to the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Bolt
United States
Bar Harbor
Maine
flag msg tools
My wife and I play 3-4 nights a week. We started about 16 months ago with Catan, then quickly move to Ticket to Ride Ticket to Ride(sorry first ever post and trying to figure out links and things), then Pandemic Pandemic. My wife and I have been really enjoying The Castles of Burgundy. We play a lot with our kids (ages 10 and 12). We live in a small town in a fairly rural area and have been trying to find other people who game, but finding gamers has been difficult, even more so for people with kids that like to game, so we generally play by ourselves, and enjoy it very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McMullen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for sharing! I can definitely relate. MTG got me into Hearthstone which got me back into Magic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.