Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just have a query regarding how long a worker is unavailable when placed on a worker training space.

The rules state: "A trained worker can only be used from your next turn after the training started" and then states "The unused trained workers will stay with you for the next round with their default value (you get 1 point and the worker goes back to your unused worker set)."

So does this mean:

a) For my first turn in a round I place a worker on a worker training space. In my second turn of this same round I can now use this worker with it's modified value.

or

b)For my first turn in a round I place a worker on a worker training space. The earliest opportunity I have to use this worker is the first turn of the next round.

What if I place a worker on a training space in the last turn of a round? When is the earliest opportunity I have to use this worker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is option a)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Cos Cob
Connecticut
flag msg tools
fardoche wrote:
It is option a)

Makes sense.

The rules say, "If you pass and still have unused workers, you score a point for each worker and keep them for the next round."

If you leave workers in training, the rules also state, "The unused trained workers will stay with you for the next round with their default
value (you get 1 point and the worker goes back to your unused worker set)."

I have to believe the 1 point these two rules refer to is the same point. Otherwise, you could put a worker in the first training spot, then pass, and score 2 points for the worker!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I think I've just had a lightbulb moment with the reading of the rules and just wasn't understanding the meaning of the last sentence of the Training Workers rules section

Ken, I believe you are correct, and that the last sentence means that if you haven't used that worker in that round then it stays with you, you score 1 VP, is removed from your player board, and goes back into your pool of workers to be used in the next round with it's printed value.

Thanks Ken your reply made me read the rules more closely and I think I understand it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...and so there's no point putting a worker on a worker Training space for your last turn as you won't have any chance to use it.

Just a thought...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sapper_D wrote:

Ken, I believe you are correct, and that the last sentence means that if you haven't used that worker in that round then it stays with you, you score 1 VP, is removed from your player board, and goes back into your pool of workers to be used in the next round with it's printed value.

That is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK so I'm reviewing the rules getting ready to teach the game at my local club when I get to worker training and realise that the example given seems to contradict the rules, but I believe this is because the term "round" is probably used instead of "turn."

Quote:
Example: The blue sends her last available worker to train "1". She chooses the +/-2 slot, so she must pay 1 denarius to the bank. According to the rules she must wait at least a round to use it. In that round, the value of the trained worker may be "1", "2" and "3".

According to the last sentence of the worker training rules if blue uses her last worker for training then at the end of the round it should go back to her pool of workers, score 1 VP, and go back to having its default value in the next round, ie the training is basically wasted.

But if the Example reads:

Quote:
Example: The blue sends her last available worker to train "1". She chooses the +/-2 slot, so she must pay 1 denarius to the bank. According to the rules she must wait at least a turn to use it. In that turn, the value of the trained worker may be "1", "2" and "3".

Then I think it makes more sense...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Cos Cob
Connecticut
flag msg tools
sapper_D wrote:
OK so I'm reviewing the rules getting ready to teach the game at my local club when I get to worker training and realise that the example given seems to contradict the rules, but I believe this is because the term "round" is probably used instead of "turn."

Quote:
Example: The blue sends her last available worker to train "1". She chooses the +/-2 slot, so she must pay 1 denarius to the bank. According to the rules she must wait at least a round to use it. In that round, the value of the trained worker may be "1", "2" and "3".

According to the last sentence of the worker training rules if blue uses her last worker for training then at the end of the round it should go back to her pool of workers, score 1 VP, and go back to having its default value in the next round, ie the training is basically wasted.

But if the Example reads:

Quote:
Example: The blue sends her last available worker to train "1". She chooses the +/-2 slot, so she must pay 1 denarius to the bank. According to the rules she must wait at least a turn to use it. In that turn, the value of the trained worker may be "1", "2" and "3".

Then I think it makes more sense...

That's it Damon. I was always pretty confident the words get switched in translation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully Attila will clarify it for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domi Krantz
Hungary
Nagytarcsa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sapper_D wrote:
Hopefully Attila will clarify it for us.

In deed that should have been turn in the rules, some of the examples need to be updated with the final rule set.
So basically, you sit out a turn, and when it's your turn again, you can use the worker with a modified value.
So this is correct:

You can also leave the worker unused, and save it for the next round, you get 1 VP for each one you saved. But realistically, that wont happen very often, you can usually do something meaningful with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification Domi. thumbsup

Though to be more accurate shouldn't the example say:

Quote:
Example: The blue sends her last available worker to train "1". She chooses the +/-2 slot, so she must pay 1 denarius to the bank. According to the rules she must wait at least a [until her next] turn to use it. In that turn, the value of the trained worker may be "1", "2" and "3".

As the original wording of the example seems to imply that the trained worker can't be used the very next turn as you have to "wait at least a turn to use it".

I just raise this because if there is a revised rulebook released it would be great to have this sort of contradiction removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.