Subject: Favorite Game Mechanics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Thwaites
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Guys,

As a game creator, I am always interested in what people like about games, and why. Often when I pick up a new game and play it for the first time, I feel that some key element was missed in the creation of the game. I was wondering if anyone else feels the same way. As such, I wanted to ask, What is one of your favorite game mechanic, and why do you like it?

As an example, I myself love strategic semi co-op games, with the possibility of betrayal from other players. The idea being that everyone is working towards a common goal, but one (or more) of the players might also have hidden goals. I love the feeling of intrigue that this creates.

That's me. What's your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
For me, it's not so much favored mechanics, as disfavored ones. For example, I'm neither here nor there about co-ops, but you couldn't pay me to play a game with betrayal mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Direct player conflict. Negotiation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like engine building Euros. It's very satisfying seeing your plans and big combos come together, like in La Granja and ZhanGuo. Theme integration in mechanics is also something I love, but is not absolutely necessary for a game. It's a big plus, though, and my two favourite games of all time have that in spades: Dungeon Petz and Hawaii.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drafting is my jam at the moment...it changes all the time though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Engine building and a sense of progression!

Keeps the game changing during its playtime and gives me a sense of accomplishment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deckbuilding in all its varieties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Gary, he is by far the best mechanic in any game. Pity the mechanisms in that game aren't so good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Worker placement ala stone age or dominant species
Dice placement ala steampunk rally
Simultaneous actions ala 7 wonders
Set collection
Building stuff, e.g. Galaxy trucker or Castles of mad king ludwig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
I do enjoy games where there is escalation. Where you start off small and get an engine going. An example is Fleet. I start with no boats and no fish, and get together several ships usually and generally try and land as many crates of fish as possible. Each time I play I am thinking, I want to land a lot of fish this go!

Agricola: All Creatures Big & Small. Love trying to get a whole bunch of animals on the farm.

But I think that I am open to most mechanisms and if a game really shines, the actual type of mechanism is not so important. Like I don't particularly like push your luck games. However, I love Port Royal.

I was shocked the other day when I looked up the top fifty worker placement games. I had so many of the top 30, and most of the ones I didn't have was more to do with not liking the art/components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Addleman
United States
Aurora
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Definitely worker placement for me. I don't know if I can put into words exactly why though. For whatever reason it's just a mechanic that clicks for me. I like knowing that there are a certain amount of actions I can take in a turn and at any point someone else can take that action blocking me and forcing me to change my strategy on the fly. Some of my favorite games including this mechanic are Viticulture and Agricola. Although I had to get rid of the latter because my wife did not enjoy it at all with how stressful it can be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, I like to build something. Create a tableau of cards, an empire on the board. Not exactly a mechanic but there I am. So I like...

Agricola - build a farm
Forbidden Stars - build a space empire
The Gallerist - accumulate an art collection
Viticulture - build a vinyard

I like games with cards (all of the above have them). Something about card driven games appeals to me (Concordia, Hannibal).

Too much unmitigated randomness annoys me. Plain vanilla coops aren't my thing (although I like Pandemic Cthulhu). Side by side solitaire is rarely appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dice placement - Games where you start with random going in but then you use your choices to shape it to best fit your strategy. Keeps you on your toes but keeps your control more important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like deduction (Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective, Spyfall, Codenames, Ultimate Werewolf etc.) and tile-laying games, or at least games where the board is different every time.

Catan scratches the tile-laying itch a bit, but not enough. Carcassonne really scratches the tile-laying itch though!

Maybe tile-laying isn't the right word, but modular gameboard? Escape: Curse of the Temple for example fits my wish very well for example, and Masmorra is hopefully also going to be right up my alley!

I have no idea if it exists, but tile-laying + deduction would be mind-blowing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something that you don't see very often is knowledge as a commodity.

In Dune some players know parts of the game that are hidden to others. This information can be traded for spice, temporary truces, or other knowledge. I really want to see more games incorporate upcoming changes to the board state as a currency like Dune did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Auction/Bidding - goa, biblios, isle of Skye, Peloponnes, ra, Amun-re, Keyflower

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dukane wrote:

In Dune some players know parts of the game that are hidden to others. This information can be traded for spice, temporary truces, or other knowledge. I really want to see more games incorporate upcoming changes to the board state as a currency like Dune did.

That sounds really cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All I know is when I see "Abstract Strategy" I make a prompt u-turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Action Points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Tavener
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love drawing secret shit from bags. Thebes, Orléans, Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King, Roll for the Galaxy are some of my favourites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Thwaites
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I love the points you guys have been mentioning.

rvervuurt wrote:

I have no idea if it exists, but tile-laying + deduction would be mind-blowing

I have not been able to find any examples of this myself. I also thought it would be an amazing combination. I'm actually in the prototype phase of a game like this.

dukane wrote:

Your right, I only remember seeing that once before (and I can't even remember the name of the game it was part of). Can anybody else think of examples of this game mechanic?

chubber911 wrote:
I love drawing secret shit from bags. Thebes, Orléans, Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King, Roll for the Galaxy are some of my favourites.

Who doesn't love drawing something secret from a bag. With Carcassonne sheep expansion, many people I've talked to didn't like it as much, but I love the chance to draw random sheep or wolves from the bag.

What other mechanics are people either liking, or not liking? Also, have you ever been disappointed in a game because they didn't manage the mechanics well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer you start with a (good and interesting) theme. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anijunk wrote:
I would prefer you start with a (good and interesting) theme. whistle

I'd agree, but more specifically, I want the setting to heavily inform the design of the mechanics. And not the other way around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
dukane wrote:

Mission Red Planet has secret cards that change how an area of the board will score at the end. If you're trying to control that area, and someone else places a card there, you have to sacrifice a turn to see what they placed there.

Fun mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
My favorite interactive mechanism would have to be auction, because so much drama can unfold in a good auction. Think Power Grid when the "7" plants come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.