Subject: Unpainted Minis + New Add-ons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sammy
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
From the updates:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/62282519/the-warriors-t...

- Unpainted Minis option

- Gang Add-ons:

Gramercy Riffs
Orphans

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
I'm not sure that add on gangs was the right thing to do considering the campaign has less than 800 backers. If every current backer added at least one of those gangs, it would only add about 15,000 to the total.

I think having those gangs as add ons could potentially turn off as many potential backers as it brings in. Many people who back Kickstarters do so because they not only get the game, but a bunch of stuff added to the game for free, by making two very popular gangs add ons, the Kickstarter won't appeal to those backers as the added value just isn't there.

This is why I voted against the gangs as add ons.

I think they could have enticed more backers by lowering the stretch goal amounts, decreasing the amount between stretch goals, and making the stretch goals contain things that people really want. The stretch goals they have now aren't very exciting because they don't seem very attainable or desirable.

If these add ons don't start bringing up the number of backers significantly, they could wind up costing more than they bring in, especially considering that they are being offered as painted and unpainted. If the campaign were to fund right now, there would only be an additional $2,500 above the game's original budget of 60,000 to be used towards the manufacture of 18 new miniatures, their cards, their boxes, and their dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waggly Bean
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is a bit worrying.

I want this game, so I want it to succeed, but on the other hand I almost think it needs another complete reboot to work properly.

I think there are several big no-nos with this campaign.

- I don't understand why they offered a pledge tier without stretch-goals - that's just pointless and confusing on first looking at the project.
- There are too many pledge tiers now full-stop. It is confusing to a newcomer and the difference between painted and unpainted pledge levels isn't clear enough. I know they can't change the wording of tiers once someone has backed it, so that's not entirely their fault but it still isn't appealing or easy viewing.
- The early birds are way too much of a discount on the normal pledges, meaning once the slots are full I doubt you'll see much movement. "Oh I could have had it for $80 but now I have to pay $100? Screw that then!"
- They keep showing renders of amazing looking minis, but then saying how they're going to retool them in different poses as standing on one foot might be weak etc - it worries me that the final minis may look nothing like what they're showing.
- They seem to be making lots of changes with only 10 days to go. If they aren't clear on how they want to proceed by now, maybe they weren't ready to launch their campaign.
- The painted minis concern me. We have seen no example minis and it doesn't sound like they've used this company for pre-paints before. I suspect they would have a lot easier time with this had they just done all the minis as unpainted to start with. I feel like they have bitten off more than they can chew.

Like I say, I really want this game, but I will say I see this as a bit of a 'red flag' project. Were it not for the Warriors license, I would have dropped my pledge already to be on the safe side. I am keeping it for now, but I'm really on the fence with how this is being handled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Zajdel
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I was in early but not early enough to be a bird. #31 after the first call round.
I wanted the project to go so I bit the bullet at 100$ Warlord level.

Later they offer some more early bird specials to goose the thing along. I bite my lip.
Later I look again and i'm seeing like 5 or 6 slots every time I visit the page and I'm wondering how I can back out.
I want it to go through but when it topped out at 93% I was praying for it to collapse.

There will be bad blood however it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
wagglybean wrote:
- They keep showing renders of amazing looking minis, but then saying how they're going to retool them in different poses as standing on one foot might be weak etc - it worries me that the final minis may look nothing like what they're showing.

As someone who was only going to pledge for the miniatures, I didn't like that the campaign did not include production renders for all of the miniatures in the base game. I also didn't like that many of the renders had obvious issues that would need to be addressed and yet they still chose to show them and continue to do so as is evident by the Sully preview they just showed which has the figure holding a very thin switchblade.

I don't think the team has enough experience with the industry (both designing a miniatures game and getting one manufactured) to pull this off without a lot of trial and error and I decided I didn't want to be a part of that roller coaster ride and that is why I dropped my pledge.

Don't get me wrong, I think their hearts are in the right place, but that enthusiasm will only get them so far without the business experience to back it up. If they do deliver a quality product, I will gladly pick it up at retail to support them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.