Subject: Diversity diversity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
So it seems this has become some weird BGG meme. Am I right that it started with someone posting about diversity is his gaming group? People made fun of that. And then other people started with the hair diversity, pet diversity, job diversity, whatever.

Maybe I missed something but I don't find any of it amusing. Whether the original original OP had a legit question, the follow up seems to be making fun, implicitly, of the idea of diversity. "Oh isn't it funny when people talk about diversity." Nah, I don't think so. I think a lack of diversity is a real problem in our society. I don't know why gaming would be different.

All the jokey followups trivialize something which is not trivial. That leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Oh, wait, doesn't this belong in RSP? Yeah, maybe. And don't all those other threads? What gives here?

So I'll say I'm in favor of all sorts of diversity. And to keep this post gaming related I'll say I favor playing Euros, Ameritrash, and wargames. I also support all colors of meeples.

And people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It started because the same user posted three threads about "his old game group." One was about diversity, one was about the highest degree held by a member of your group, and the other was about maybe jobs?

Anywho, lets put it to bed with a poll...

Poll
Diversity Poll
Is diversity in game groups good?
Yes
Si
Oui
Ja
Da
Hai
      70 answers
Poll created by MAJBrown22
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
The mocking had nothing to do with the idea of diversity. It had everything to do with the poster and his posts, and what many people obviously concluded he was and was doing (which isn't surprising - compare his posts in each thread).

The only thing keeping him from being labelled outright is that it is against the rules. Also, if you think that those threads belong in RSP, flag them as being in the wrong forum (as I may do with this thread depending on how it develops).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It was also just that the same poster created several of the same 1½ line threads with a question about diversity in some different regard. Then eventually after the 3rd of 4th thread others started doing the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
So it seems this has become some weird BGG meme.

Yes, but these BGG memes where people keep starting new threads (instead of just replying in an existing thread) are stupid and annoying. :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
skutsch wrote:

Yes, but these BGG memes where people keep starting new threads (instead of just replying in an existing thread) are stupid and annoying. :/

So I should have? Yeah, perhaps so. I guess I felt I didn't want to join in the amusement threads.

Re the other stuff, I get it that the super OP might have been triggering stuff by his odd posts, it's just that the reaction went in a way that bothered me.

Also, I think TZAAR isn't THAT good. Yeah, I went there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
skutsch wrote:

Quite frankly the copycat threading is incredibly obnoxious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

Like this recent example... :/
Whats the percentage of duplicate threads on BGG?
Whats the percentage of duplicate threads on BGG?
Whats the percentage of duplicitous threads on BGG?
What's the percentage of unique threads on BGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

Oh, whatever. Don't even pretend like you didn't like my thread before I thought better of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason diversity in game groups gets trivialised is obvious for a few reasons mainly the fact for a lot of people to even find a gaming group is virtually impossible especially for us rural dwellers and so to actually consider the diversity of a group seems such a minor issue it leads to ridiculous responses. Add in to this that it almost seems like a boast about something that should never arise and the reaction becomes a lot clearer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know what is diverse?

A thread from Skutsch that DOESN'T have a poll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
Mmmmm. Would you find anything objectionable about this?:

How diverse is your gaming group in terms of attractiveness? I am the most attractive in my group. I am signed up with four model agencies.

By the way, that is not true in case you are wondering. It's three model agencies.

(cough, splutter)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
It wouldn't be the first time I've been obnoxious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the problem with his thread was he titled it social diversity then defined his group by color (and I'm 95% sure he wasnt talking what color they play as). So the reaction of making light kicked in to save us from going down a dark path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
I think a lack of diversity is a real problem in our society. I don't know why gaming would be different.

I agree with you that, without any context (and those posts provided none at all), the sudden appearance of a bunch of "diversity!" posts just looked like some embittered gamer was acting out in public because someone had mentioned diversity somewhere.

With luck those threads will soon sink into the depths as the novelty wears off. But it's nice to see that there's some other explanation... kind of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorath wrote:
The reason diversity in game groups gets trivialised is obvious for a few reasons mainly the fact for a lot of people to even find a gaming group is virtually impossible especially for us rural dwellers and so to actually consider the diversity of a group seems such a minor issue it leads to ridiculous responses. Add in to this that it almost seems like a boast about something that should never arise and the reaction becomes a lot clearer.
Again, I get that the super OP seemed to be coming from an odd place. Also, I certainly think it can be hard enough to make a gaming group without worrying about how diverse it is. I just don't think diversity in general should be a thing we ridicule.

We live in a society which imprints in our brains certain cultural biases. People deny this, but they are silly people. However, I feel that in general gamers tend to do a pretty good job of overcoming their cultural biases, making us more open to bringing different kinds of people into our groups. Maybe it's partly because we create our own counter biases. "Sure, she may be a dirty rotten Episcopalian, but she plays Agricola and that makes her ok in my book!" I joke, but truly, when I hear someone plays the kinds of games I play, I tend to think better of them. "Well, ok he's a psycho mass murderer, but he likes Polis!"

Honestly, if I could find a real life Polis partner (not online) I could probably overlook a few bodies here and there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clwe
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
Why are not everyone talking diversity!?

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Jorath wrote:
Again, I get that the super OP seemed to be coming from an odd place. Also, I certainly think it can be hard enough to make a gaming group without worrying about how diverse it is. I just don't think diversity in general should be a thing we ridicule.

We live in a society which imprints in our brains certain cultural biases. People deny this, but they are silly people. However, I feel that in general gamers tend to do a pretty good job of overcoming their cultural biases, making us more open to bringing different kinds of people into our groups. Maybe it's partly because we create our own counter biases. "Sure, she may be a dirty rotten Episcopalian, but she plays Agricola and that makes her ok in my book!" I joke, but truly, when I hear someone plays the kinds of games I play, I tend to think better of them. "Well, ok he's a psycho mass murderer, but he likes Polis!"

Honestly, if I could find a real life Polis partner (not online) I could probably overlook a few bodies here and there.

Diversity shouldn't be ridiculed or praised it should just be, if people are in a gaming group its for their common similarities not for their differences. So I don't think it really is that diversity is being ridiculed just the fact that the posts exist and make an issue out of something that is a non issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

We live in a society which imprints in our brains certain cultural biases. People deny this, but they are silly people. However, I feel that in general gamers tend to do a pretty good job of overcoming their cultural biases, making us more open to bringing different kinds of people into our groups.

well are we really overcoming cultural biases if we're just part of the same board game culture?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
It started because the same user posted three threads about "his old game group." One was about diversity, one was about the highest degree held by a member of your group, and the other was about maybe jobs?

Anywho, lets put it to bed with a poll...

Poll
Diversity Poll
Is diversity in game groups good?
Yes
Si
Oui
Ja
Da
Hai
      70 answers
Poll created by MAJBrown22

2 out of the 3 languages I speak fluent, use "ja" for "yes", so I had to go for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rvervuurt wrote:
2 out of the 3 languages I speak fluent, use "ja" for "yes", so I had to go for that.

The poll is missing "jes" and "tak" from 2 languages I know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorath wrote:
skutsch wrote:
Jorath wrote:

Diversity shouldn't be ridiculed or praised it should just be, if people are in a gaming group its for their common similarities not for their differences. So I don't think it really is that diversity is being ridiculed just the fact that the posts exist and make an issue out of something that some people think is a non issue.

Let's not go too deep into RSP, but you know that not everyone agrees it is a non issue. However, whatever it is, here is probably not the best place to discuss it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
rvervuurt wrote:

The poll is missing "jes" and "tak" from 2 languages I know!
And where are "jah", "kyllä" and "igen"? Indo-European chauvinism is not diversity.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
So it seems this has become some weird BGG meme. Am I right that it started with someone posting about diversity is his gaming group? People made fun of that. And then other people started with the hair diversity, pet diversity, job diversity, whatever.

Maybe I missed something but I don't find any of it amusing. Whether the original original OP had a legit question, the follow up seems to be making fun, implicitly, of the idea of diversity. "Oh isn't it funny when people talk about diversity." Nah, I don't think so. I think a lack of diversity is a real problem in our society. I don't know why gaming would be different.

All the jokey followups trivialize something which is not trivial. That leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Oh, wait, doesn't this belong in RSP? Yeah, maybe. And don't all those other threads? What gives here?

So I'll say I'm in favor of all sorts of diversity. And to keep this post gaming related I'll say I favor playing Euros, Ameritrash, and wargames. I also support all colors of meeples.

And people.

His threads were a "look how great I am" thread. He deserved the responses he received. As far as actual diversity in the game group goes, it really is not relevant. What matters is that as a group of friends we game together. I have no barriers in place that ban anyone from joining except that they have to like the big heavy meaty games, and we have to get along. As far as I know, we are all the same species, and we can all be given the same treatment, so that is how our group functions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.