Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Bookler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
We were on game 4 tonight and someone found a tomb of the ancients and got that milestone for 4 glory (plus 1 for the endeavor). They then explored the tomb and got the explore a tomb without taking damage milestone for 4 glory (plus 1 for the endeavor). The tomb itself awareded a relic and 4 glory. So, in one turn someone got 9 glory (out of the 14 needed for game 4) and ended the game. I just wanted to make sure we did this correctly, as 9 glory seemed excessive out of the total needed for the win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: First Tomb - Is this right? (spoilers)
You only get one Explore action per turn, so you couldn't possibly explore a site to find a tomb, and then explore the tomb, on the same turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Bookler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Correct - I wasn't saying they got 14 on one turn, but 9.

1) A player explores a site and uncovers a tomb, gets that first milestone - 5 total glory
2) The player then explores the tomb and gets 9 total glory on subsequent turn (4 for the milestone, 1 for the endeavor, 4 from the tomb text).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
supraking777 wrote:

1) A player explores a site and uncovers a tomb, gets that first milestone - 5 total glory
2) The player then explores the tomb and gets 9 total glory on subsequent turn (4 for the milestone, 1 for the endeavor, 4 from the tomb text).

That's exactly what David is asking. How is the person exploring twice on 1 turn.
It takes an explore action to explore the site, finding the tomb. Then it would be a second explore action to explore the tomb.

I won't disagree that tombs are dumb:
(Captain's Booke major spoilers):
Our last game ended up 20-9-8 because on both of the winning player's tomb explores he got 5 points, 1 for the successful explore of the tomb and 4 for the text in the Captain's Booke. The other player got 40 gold, then 40 gold. But he couldn't spend the last 40 because it ended up being the last turn of the game. I got 3 fortune tokens on my tomb explore...greeaaaaaatt. So ya, tombs are real fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Bookler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Temelin wrote:
supraking777 wrote:

That's exactly what David is asking. How is the person exploring twice on 1 turn.
It takes an explore action to explore the site, finding the tomb. Then it would be a second explore action to explore the tomb.

I won't disagree that tombs are dumb:
(Captain's Booke major spoilers):
Our last game ended up 20-9-8 because on both of the winning player's tomb explores he got 5 points, 1 for the successful explore of the tomb and 4 for the text in the Captain's Booke. The other player got 40 gold, then 40 gold. But he couldn't spend the last 40 because it ended up being the last turn of the game. I got 3 fortune tokens on my tomb explore...greeaaaaaatt. So ya, tombs are real fair.

It's late and I'm beyond sleepy, so I'm probably being unclear. There are two completely separate turns. Let's ignore the first turn for a second - the one where you explore the skull site and find the tomb. Let's pretend the tomb is there already. A player took a turn and explored that tomb, which earned the milestone of a exploring a tomb without taking damage (4 points) + 1 for the endeavor. The tomb he explored gave 4 glory, so the total for the single explore action was 9 points - 2/3 of the points needed for game 4 in a single turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I see what you're saying now. I agree that tombs are high payoff/variance. I don't think the milestone is such a big deal, though, because after all that only happens once in a long campaign. Other people no doubt got other milestones that benefited them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Bookler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They did, but none were such a high % of the glory needed to win a game. I think it's the fact that it's coupled with something that can give an additional amount of glory equal to the milestone itself that unbalances it.

As a tomb-related, but separate question - nothing said to cross out the tomb on the island. So, is one tomb capable of being re-explored game to game? It's possible they collapse or something if someone fails an explore - I don't know, as just the single successful explore of it has happened so far - but I wanted to make sure we didn't miss something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
supraking777 wrote:
They did, but none were such a high % of the glory needed to win a game. I think it's the fact that it's coupled with something that can give an additional amount of glory equal to the milestone itself that unbalances it.

As a tomb-related, but separate question - nothing said to cross out the tomb on the island. So, is one tomb capable of being re-explored game to game? It's possible they collapse or something if someone fails an explore - I don't know, as just the single successful explore of it has happened so far - but I wanted to make sure we didn't miss something.

I see what you're saying now too.
I completely forgot about that milestone. That was another reason our player won so handily. And, Yes, you don't cross them off. Sometimes entries in the Captain's Booke will explicitly tell you to put a "closed tomb" sticker over them. I asked the same thing after he sat and explored the same one 4 turns in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One tomb can have several "rooms". When you successfully explore that room, then you can't choose it again, but you can still go into that tomb and explore a different room, unless the entry says to cross off that tomb. Again, high variance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Bookler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
One tomb can have several "rooms". When you successfully explore that room, then you can't choose it again, but you can still go into that tomb and explore a different room, unless the entry says to cross off that tomb. Again, high variance.

Gotcha - thanks for clarifying!

There's one thing that occurred to me that we may have done wrong, but I can't check on it since the game is at my friend's place. If anyone is past this or finished with the game and could check the Captain's Booke to satisfy my curiosity, I'd appreciate it!

The tomb was explored via the skull site #1 and my friend chose whatever the 'rush in before courage fails' option was. At some point, it tells you to unlock the tomb milestone immediately - which adds the curses to the damage pile. That option also told him to take 2 damage. He took the damage before adding the curses in, but now I'm wondering if, thematically, the curses were supposed to be in there first, so the tomb had a chance of having a curse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mind changing the subject of this thread so that it isn't a spoiler?

Something like "Rule X" or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Bookler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Rule [Redacted] - Is this right? (spoilers)
jayahre wrote:
Do you mind changing the subject of this thread so that it isn't a spoiler?

Something like "Rule X" or something?

Done! Do you happen to know the answer re: curses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Rule Redacted is completely unhelpful. Now I have no idea if I can read the thread or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
yep he should have added the curses in first, I believe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Bookler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
countertorque wrote:
Rule Redacted is completely unhelpful. Now I have no idea if I can read the thread or not.

Rule X didn't seem any better - any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Bookler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jayahre wrote:

Okay - and how is damage added with curses in the mix? If you have 2 regular damage and something says take 2 damage, do you take 1 at a time until you sink, then stop taking damage, or do you take both at once and if any are curses, they stick?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
supraking777 wrote:
countertorque wrote:

The Rules all have numbers when they go into the book. You can say box # or name the revealed box that reveals this rule. You can name a Captain's booke entry. Basically, you can do what everyone else is doing when they name their threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Bookler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
countertorque wrote:
supraking777 wrote:
countertorque wrote:

The Rules all have numbers when they go into the book. You can say box # or name the revealed box that reveals this rule. You can name a Captain's booke entry. Basically, you can do what everyone else is doing when they name their threads.

I don't have the game with me - it's at a friends, so not sure on entries or rule numbers at the moment. I do know the most recent question I had related to Captain's Booke entry #1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Bookler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jayahre wrote:

I asked my friend to type out the phrasing for the entry. It reads:
"You have discovered a tomb of the ancients. Take two damage. Take two reputation tokens. If this is the first tomb discovered, you have just completed the Ancient Secrets Unearthed milestone. Lose any future actions and claim the milestone now. Follow its instructions."

So, is this supposed to be sequential - reputation and damage first, or is it supposed to be in conjunction with the milestone unlocking the new damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be sequential - reputation and damage first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
supraking777 wrote:
countertorque wrote:
supraking777 wrote:
countertorque wrote:

I don't have the game with me - it's at a friends, so not sure on entries or rule numbers at the moment. I do know the most recent question I had related to Captain's Booke entry #1.

Rule 7 is the one about
curses. Fulltext:
"New Damage Cards: Curses
Each ship can have two curse cards in addition to two standard damage cards. If a ship receives a third curse card, it immediately sinks. A curse card cannot be removed with a repair action. It can only be removed by following the instructions on the card or by a special power."

Rule 13 is the one about
tombs. Fulltext:
"Exploring a Tomb
You may explore an open tomb site. When you do, pick an entry from the tomb map inside the back cover of the Captain's Booke and read the corresponding entry. The defense of the tomb is shown on the tomb sticker. Tombs may occaisionally require other ship values instead of explore and always allow for another way to add dice to your endeavor. The tombs map provides hints to what may be needed. Be prepared. When you explore an entry without taking any damage, that entry will get crossed off and cannot be explored further. Some successful tomb explorations will permanently close a tomb site. A closed tomb site may not be explored at all and a new tomb must be found."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.