36.3% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Cdr Jameson
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am an Outlaw backer of the original kickstarter; didn't pay for wave 1.5 shipping, still waiting for my stuff.snore

I promised myself that I would not back Forbidden Fortress; I lasted less than 18 hours and now I'm in for the Shogun pledge level...shake

I know there's lots of ill-will from the previous Kickstarter, and it is a bit galling for Flying Frog to put out another Kickstarter despite being years(?) late on their first Shadows of Brimstone kickstarter.angry

However I am curious, how many of us backed the original, told ourselves or even the the bgg forums that there's no way we'd back the next one and now find ourselves with Forbidden Fortress pledge to our name...

Poll
I previously promised my wallet that I wouldn't back the Forbidden Fortress, but now...
I am a Shogun backer
I am a Sumo backer
I helped out (Lotus level - $25)
Never - I have principles
Still on the fence, waiting to see how well the campaign does
I am a backer but may pull out
I am ashamed
I am excited
      163 answers
Poll created by Cdr Jameson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Poll] Backed FF despite promising not too, anyone else broken their promise?
Voted for never!

I would have been Great if more backers would Show them the Red card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Poll] Backed FF despite promising not too, anyone else broken their promise?
I backed it with the intention of dropping it at the end so I could keep up with what's going on, but after reading the comments from the same clowns from the first Kickstarter I quickly dropped out.
I think there is so much content that I'm still waiting for that I will not need to spend $300US + shipping to get stuff I will probably never paint or play.
Looks nice though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pierce
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hemmed and hawed, ran the numbers, etc. and ended up not backing it. Both reasons have little to do with the original Kickstarter (I bought 'almost a minecart' at auction.) Quite simply just more of the same style content with the same ruleset in a different environment makes it just an expansion for a game with too much content already in mind.

I like the game, a lot, even with all its fiddly quirks. The new setting just doesn't excite me that much, the miniatures don't excite me that much, and there is so much more I can do with $300, like save it for other upcoming Kickstarters. I also have more content than I can lug around and play realistically already for what is essentially the same game. As soon as I decided, I felt great about saving the money and not having to deal with the all the Kickstarter BS.

I might check in to see how much has been unlocked prior to ending, the amazing $5 early bird bonus wasn't going to force my hand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. I have to invest into the Perdition´s Mouth addon, the Sword & Sorcery addon(s), the Galaxy Defenders addon(s), the expansions for Of dreams & shadows...man...there is so much I can do for games and developers that are worth the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cdr Jameson
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll keep up with the campaign on Shogun, but with the rest of Outlaw still to play with and Hexcrawl after that do I really need more SoB? My Brother in Law has a Minecart pledge and has promised me some of the Minecart stuff as well (he's not even played the game yet)...do I really need more of what is essentially the same game.

I really like the Forbidden Fortress theme though.

[EDIT] plus a significant fraction of that money could be spent on the new Blood Bowl and a few teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mantra6 wrote:
Quite simply just more of the same style content with the same ruleset in a different environment makes it just an expansion for a game with too much content already in mind.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I can't keep up with the content, so figure retail will be better for me. I'm also backing Mythic Battles: Pantheon. The reviews for the previous edition of the game interest me, and the $100 KS pledge works better with my KS budget. Still four weeks to make a decision!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
I backed due to Early Bird but 95% chance I'll pull out.

Putting aside my displeasure with the previous kickstarter, this one just isn't grabbing me. Initially I was OK with a Japanese theme but I thought it was only really going to be heroes. All the monsters are Jap themed as well, whereas with the original only a few monsters were western themed. The rest were eldrich or alien or whatever. But here it's all oriental.

This makes the 'crossover' idea not really work for me, as it just doesn't fit with the existing stuff I feel. I don't want a second SOB game, so I'm just backing for the sake of backing really.

Then I think about it - $300US. That is a lot of $$$, and I'm just not seeing the value here compared to other kickstarters I could spend that money on. I wont buy this stuff at retail so that comparison is pointless to me.

So yeah, I may have stayed in if the stuff appealed to me more and it was cheaper and smaller. But there is nothing giving me a hardon here and this looks like its going to be another project whose scale FFP will struggle to manage, so I'll be likely dropping in a few days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst I never said I'd not back it, I remain a bit wary on the Shogun pledge. I see they have tried to avoid the tiered Minecart pledges, but right now it's not amazing value, and has pretty much stalled now the EBs are done. I have a feeling it's going to end up too low in value and start sliding backwards as people drop pledges... Which is a shame as I'm not unhappy to drop chunks of cash on extra content, but would need to see another significant (and complete) expansion box on top of what's there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:
Whilst I never said I'd not back it, I remain a bit wary on the Shogun pledge. I see they have tried to avoid the tiered Minecart pledges, but right now it's not amazing value, and has pretty much stalled now the EBs are done. I have a feeling it's going to end up too low in value and start sliding backwards as people drop pledges... Which is a shame as I'm not unhappy to drop chunks of cash on extra content, but would need to see another significant (and complete) expansion box on top of what's there.

Kicktraq shows no stalling and still shows "trending" as 6.5 milion.
I do not know where you are getting this from.

Also from the comments I have seen, people are starting to consider Shogun good value even now at 600k.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cdr Jameson
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:
... and start sliding backwards as people drop pledges.

I agree. I think there is a real risk that Shogun backers start dropping out. The original campaign brought in ~$1.3M I am curious to see how far this one goes. I have a 2 day reminder set on the campaign finish although I am now (fairly) certain that I'm going to pull out of my pledge.

However, I crunched some numbers: after the EBs finished the campaign has pulled in ~ $6000 in 5 hours and there's roughly 670 hours left in the campaign which adds up to a total campaign value of $1.4M. Which I'm sure would be a massive saving with all those unlocked Stretch Goals...

okocnar wrote:
Kicktraq shows no stalling and still shows "trending" as 6.5 milion.

I'm sure that trends are meaningless in the first few days; the projection is more realistic but not up yet. However the 24hr Early Birds and swaying Shoguns may throw significant deviations to whatever algorithm Kiktraq are using.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
What are you looking at?
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed at Shogun, upped to Sumo, but am really on the fence. While the two exclusive classes are nice, they might not be enough for me to stay in to the end. I still don't trust them and their communication is still crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pierce
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it isn't about the value, that looks to be solid. (Although retail is just that, the base game will likely be selling for 60-70% of retail at some point) I just won't need more SoB once I actually receive it all. I would rather see what Adam Poots has up his sleeve in a few weeks and save some cash for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Curtis
United States
Prospect Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mantra6 wrote:
For me it isn't about the value, that looks to be solid. (Although retail is just that, the base game will likely be selling for 60-70% of retail at some point) I just won't need more SoB once I actually receive it all. I would rather see what Adam Poots has up his sleeve in a few weeks and save some cash for that.

Mark - the maths that have been done show that the Shogun is a deal even at Retail-%30... and it will only get better...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Harding
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all in and was a previous Minecart backer.

Even if it is "more of the same", for me at least, this game is only stronger with more and more variety. It is variety that makes it the most fun. Never knowing what Otherworld you're going to slip into, what monsters are going to jump out at you, what cool items your going to find, etc.

I truly believe SOB gets better the bigger the world becomes!

The Japanese theme fits perfectly along with the Old West theme.

I don't hold any resentment toward FFP in regards to how long SOB of Brimstone has taken (I'm still waiting on Wave 2). FFP has created a bunch of very cool games and I do believe they got in over their head with their first Kickstarter. I get it. I never once thought I would not eventually get my game and I'm happy they have taken their time to make each expansion aspect as good as they could.

I don't even mind others have received theirs at retail. My guess is that they had to sell to generate income to keep feeding the project. Again, I think it goes back to getting in over their head with the initial Kickstarter.

I would recommend that if anyone has interest in the game to jump in.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Frank. I'm at the $300 level for now, but even when it was first announced, the Japanese theme just doesn't do it for me. If this was any other setting, I'd probably not hesitate to remain the whole time (I was fine with the previous kickstarter), but so far I'm just kind of "Meh". I'm playing this weekend with my regular Shadows group, will bring it up to them to see what they think.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I dun goofed.
badge
I dun goofed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed the original Kickstarter at the Outlaw level, and will definitely not be backing the Forbidden Fortress Kickstarter. I enjoy the game, even though it has many flaws, but FFP has last my trust.

Over the course of the original Kickstarter, FFP has proven to me time and again that they are not the kind of company I want to be backing on Kickstarter. And there are many complaints they got during the first Kickstarter that they haven't addressed in this new one, so I see no reason why this Kickstarter would prove to be any better than the original one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here, the japanese theme is not spot on for me.
However the belly of the beast and it's enemies are generic and cool enough to fit very well in my SoB collection.

Japanese items, classes and mythos monsters do not excite me that much.
But the feudal japan tiles would be a cool other world to the regular game.

I am hoping the stretch goals will reveal more generic monsters and otherworlds that I feel fit the theme more to my personal liking. I am currently on a shogun EB pledge. Only thing making me consider keeping it is that funds will be drawn on the next salary, currently backing Battle systems Sci fi terrain, Deep Madness and a RPG project this month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nah, SoB was awful. I have no problem avoiding this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevBelisle wrote:
I backed the original Kickstarter at the Outlaw level, and will definitely not be backing the Forbidden Fortress Kickstarter. I enjoy the game, even though it has many flaws, but FFP has last my trust.

Over the course of the original Kickstarter, FFP has proven to me time and again that they are not the kind of company I want to be backing on Kickstarter. And there are many complaints they got during the first Kickstarter that they haven't addressed in this new one, so I see no reason why this Kickstarter would prove to be any better than the original one.

I am right there with you. But I was a mine cart backer with 550 dollars thrown in. They did not prove me that they are a company I want ever gamble/invest (whatever) money on again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed EB Shogun but am likely to cancel too for all the reasons listed. Just too expensive for too little content too far away. Better to do as I did with SoB and buy retail at discount as it comes out. Sure, I'll miss one or two things but with so much content, so what. And I can decide based on what I'm playing in 2018 rather than give up hundreds of dollars now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Laman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I missed the original SoB Kickstarter and so far have bought the parts I'm interested in at retail.

I've been eyeing FF but just can't bring myself to back it.
(Admitting to myself that I can't afford/justify $100+ right now anyway)

I do like the Japan theme overall as something unique that would be a blast to play, and the heroes and one side of the tile set look great. Though I have no real interest in the "Belly of the Beast" side at all and am sort of luke-warm about 1/2 the enemies presented in FF.

I'm much more likely to save my meager $$ for SoB expansions that I don't have yet (Trederra) and future retail releases (like Blasted Wastes, and Derelict Ship) which I'm very eager for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pierce
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

And this from one of the most prolific community supporters, that says something. BTW, thanks Klutz for all the amazing content!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I dun goofed.
badge
I dun goofed.
mbmbmbmbmb
ScooterNH wrote:
I'm much more likely to save my meager $$ for SoB expansions that I don't have yet (Trederra) and future retail releases (like Blasted Wastes, and Derelict Ship) which I'm very eager for.

That's a good point. Supposing I did have 100$ or 300$ to back FoFo, there are many expansions I'd rather buy. (I'd probably grab Blasted Wastes)

Even Minecart backers have an extra ~$75 they need to throw in if they want to get the same contant as the retail deluxe expansions (see this thread).

I'd be so pissed if I was a Minecart backer... "This is the Level if you want to get everything there is for the game." Sweet! "We added this extra stuff to the retail package for Blasted Wastes, you won't get it unless you pay more." Gosh darnit!

But hey, it's ok since they did include a disclaimer for the Minecart pledge, right? "...for the ENTIRE DURATION of the Kickstarter Campaign."

And look, they even included the same disclaimer at the Shogun level!! "...Stretch Goals unlocked during the Campaign."

I expect the exact same shenanigans: "We're just so committed to getting more of your money making this the best game possible that, even though we haven't finished developing the stuff from the KS, we've gone ahead and used the KS money to develop these extra monsters that will be included in the retail version of this stuff you're already getting. So, if any completionist Shogun backers that backed at that level because they want everything, want to actually have everything, give use more money!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis - Personal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
Nah, SoB was awful. I have no problem avoiding this.

Do you stay subscribed to forums for games you hate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.