Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pawel Pawlak
Poland
near Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's assume the following:

- players A and B occupy the same region (worth 1VP)
- player B is stronger (higher Military level)
- player B revealed "War" action
- player A revealed "Exploit" and "Technology" actions
- player A plays first

Now, player A wanted to play Technology then Exploit actions, but changed the order because of War. So he first plays Exploit removing his power cube from the region he shares with player B. Then plays Technology. Whatever.

What happens now is a War with no enemy (because player A has abandoned the region, losing 1VP).

Question - does player B still get 2VP (or 4VP if he's at required Tech level)? Did he win even if there was nobody to fight with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would say not. If you cannot or will not go to war when it is your turn to resolve your actions, you do not get the points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Pawlak
Poland
near Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm asking this because the rules say: "Once a War Action card has been played, the war has to be carried out even if the player cannot win, or no Civilization can be attacked."

So, the war has been carried out (even without an enemy), but what's the outcome?

Explanation of the Raid action explicitly says, that if there's no adjacent civilization with a lower Military level, Raid has no effect (like in player A abandons a region and is no longer a neighbour of player B). The War action seems different in this matter, but I want to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the text regarding having to go to War once War has been played is to handle situations where the Opponent manages to increase their Military so that the player who played War cannot win (either because there is a tie "no opponent" or because they would lose because the opponent now has higher Military). The player who played War is still committed even though they might actually lose.

There's also the situation where an Event or other Effect may be triggered by the playing of War (though usually it's enough to merely play the card, rather than take the action).

However, in this situation where there is no opponent, I can't see how any of the resolution part of the effect can be enacted. You at least forced your opponent to retreat and lose VP even though you didn't gain (except relative to your opponent). Your opponent has also given up an opportunity to Recover a Cube at the end of a subsequent Round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.