Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put the subject matter in the title, but if you got here without reading, I guess I'll tag it anyways.

Again, Spoilers for Box 1 and Box 3:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

If you want to explore a Tomb, does it count as a "land site" for purposes of using Research cards?

It's a site, its on land.

One of our players is convinced that the research cards only apply to discovering sites with icons, not already discovered sites like tombs, especially since it's a completely different map and may not even be testing the explore stat.

But again. It's a site. It's the explore action. It's on land.

The rule-book defines sites, I guess, but not necessarily "land sites."

On a slightly related note, when an advisor or upgrade allows you to spend fortune on "dangerous sites" does that apply to exploring the open ocean for islands? Obviously dangerous. Not necessarily a "site"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Tombs are land sites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, and the ocean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The ocean is not a land site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant more as, does it count as exploring a site for purposes of abilities like the advanced scout, regarding "dangerous sites."

Is an empty sea space a "site" at all, and as such would the Advanced Scout work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, no drawing an open sea card does not count as an exploration endeavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Alvarez
China
Tracy
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jayahre wrote:

So quick clarification about this:

Atoll cards say to "attempt an explore endeavor", does this mean that that endeavor would not gain a glory?

Unrelated question:

When exploring a tomb, do you always gain at least one glory for the successful endeavor (if you don't sink)and then additional glory for discovering tablets and relics, or only the glory that the entries tell you to gain?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayahre wrote:

Even if I'm trying for an island?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
correct!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
msg tools
Wait what? My understand is that the original question was "when taking the explore action on an empty sea space in order to try to find a new island, do abilities that allow you to spend fortune on dangerous sites apply?"

The key bit is what constitutes a "dangerous site".

Attempting to find a new island is most definitely an exploration endeavor and does not involve drawing a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Pisani
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
thrilledcodex wrote:
Wait what? My understand is that the original question was "when taking the explore action on an empty sea space in order to try to find a new island, do abilities that allow you to spend fortune on dangerous sites apply?"

This question is what I want to know, too. I thought because of the red shield on the board that they were dangerous sites so using fortune tokens would not be allowed. However, having an ability that let me use luck tokens would help me explore dangerous sites (by gaining successes) to find an island would be a useful tactic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
jayahre wrote:
Yes, Tombs are land sites.

I really think JR misunderstood the question here.

A revealed tomb is not an unexplored site. When you explore a tomb, you get to follow the rules for the entry that you picked. It will tell you exactly what you're allowed to spend. You don't get to spend research cards unless the entry says so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
countertorque wrote:
A revealed tomb is not an unexplored site. When you explore a tomb, you get to follow the rules for the entry that you picked. It will tell you exactly what you're allowed to spend. You don't get to spend research cards unless the entry says so.

The map cards (in the research deck) don't say "unexplored site"; that's irrelevant. They typically just say, "Play before attempting an Explore endeavor at a land site." If you enter a tomb and the Captain's Booke entry tells you to conduct an Explore endeavor, then you're attempting an Explore endeavor at a land site, so it seems that you are qualified to play the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
The map cards (in the research deck) don't say "unexplored site"; that's irrelevant. They typically just say, "Play before attempting an Explore endeavor at a land site." If you enter a tomb and the Captain's Booke entry tells you to conduct an Explore endeavor, then you're attempting an Explore endeavor at a land site, so it seems that you are qualified to play the card.

OK, I see what you're saying. That doesn't seem like what they intended, but hard to argue against it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it's thematically questionable, and could have been unintended. Obviously it's a BIG difference to game balance whether this is allowed, or not. There's a lot of stuff here that just doesn't seem well or carefully thought out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.