$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 57.75

4,183 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
26.4% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Playing games with visually challenged or blind people rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
Not that I want to start a real discussion here. I just want to get a little taste on the experience people have with gaming together with people who can't see very well or not at all.

Do you have any experience with this? Do you have to tweak your game components to play certain games very much? Are there many games that get excluded from being played because of the other person, or can you always find a solution for not excluding it? Do you avoid such people, because there aren't enough choices between games you could play? Anything you can mention on this.

I'm visually challenged myself, and I'm happy I can still play the most games I want to play with other people. I'll just have to take more time to make some decisions when I have to read much or have to see what is happening on the table/board, because otherwise I'll be overseeing a lot of stuff or am not able to understand what is going on. I will avoid people who can see less than I do as few times as I can. In fact, I'm not avoiding them, but the game I want to play.

For example, if I want to play Pandemic with a blind person, then I know that's not going to be possible, because he/she can't keep track of every single detail on the board, without being told multiple times. And even if I would do that, then it's still too difficult for him/her to have an idea of what is happening where and with whom. I won't avoid him/her, but I'm simply deciding not to play Pandemic. However, I will be looking for something with a similar mechanism or theme to play, because he/she was indeed interested in Pandemic in the first place. So, I'll choose Pandemic: The Cure instead, because then the other person isn't depending on the happenings on different locations on the table too much to handle it. I'll still have to describe what's happening and I'll have to read all the cards out loud, but everything is open information and the "location dependence" of multiple players is not that confusing.

One of my homemates actually is blind. Unfortunately there aren't "pre-adjusted" versions for many different games in the Netherlands. I guess it's not a real gaming country at all, like the US, UK and Germany seem to be. So it's a very good thing that a friend of his is working on "tweaking" components of - what I would call - alternative games (games that neither are available in our regular toy stores, nor are known by the "big crowd" here). You will not find such adjusted versions of games like King of Tokyo or Exploding Kittens anywhere in the Netherlands, but still this guy wants to play these games with us. So it's a very good thing to see people who have friends that can do this (and even for free).

What is your story on this? I'd like to hear, so I could possibly learn even more about handling this situation. I just think I would be a jerk if I would keep someone who can't do anything about his/her problem of seeing well from playing any game; I'll just have to exclude the game itself, but find a way to exclude as few as I can at the same time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've posted in these kinds of threads in the past:
http://rpggeek.com/article/21063683#21063683
http://rpggeek.com/thread/1574325/games-visually-impaired-ki...

I think that ought to link you to a number of conversations. Other than that, you could try searching.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
0616william wrote:
Do you have any experience with this?
Direct experiences include:
1) a blind person.
We did Wits & Wagers with him. We wrote down his answer (he told us)after all others have submitted theirs. We'd then read out all of the answers, and asked him which answers he'd like to pace his bets on. Food was self serve, but we just brought it to him.

He only showed up once, but I'm sure some folks in that group would've either avoided him, or not play with him as much.

2) Some folks who needed to pick up each card to read it, even though it was in front of him in "large enough" print letters. These folks take longer when playing with them, but nothing THAT MUCH longer


0616william wrote:
Do you have to tweak your game components to play certain games very much?

0616william wrote:
Do you avoid such people, because there aren't enough choices between games you could play?
I don't play with these folks. And it's not even by choice... I just haven't really encountered many of them is all.

I know some folks wouldn't want to deal with this. On a similar vein, they'd also avoid deaf or hard of hearing people, and those who take too long to move or grasp the more basic concepts of gaming.

0616william wrote:
Are there many games that get excluded from being played because of the other person, or can you always find a solution for not excluding it?
I didn't want to do a strategy, eurogame, non-party game since I figured it may get too frustrating for him and/or us.


0616william wrote:
Anything you can mention on this.

See above.


0616william wrote:
I'm visually challenged myself, and I'm happy I can still play the most games I want to play with other people. I'll just have to take more time to make some decisions when I have to read much or have to see what is happening on the table/board, because otherwise I'll be overseeing a lot of stuff or am not able to understand what is going on. I will avoid people who can see less than I do as few times as I can. In fact, I'm not avoiding them, but the game I want to play.

For example, if I want to play Pandemic with a blind person, then I know that's not going to be possible, because he/she can't keep track of every single detail on the board, without being told multiple times. And even if I would do that, then it's still too difficult for him/her to have an idea of what is happening where and with whom. I won't avoid him/her, but I'm simply deciding not to play Pandemic. However, I will be looking for something with a similar mechanism or theme to play, because he/she was indeed interested in Pandemic in the first place. So, I'll choose Pandemic: The Cure instead, because then the other person isn't depending on the happenings on different locations on the table too much to handle it. I'll still have to describe what's happening and I'll have to read all the cards out loud, but everything is open information and the "location dependence" of multiple players is not that confusing.

One of my homemates actually is blind. Unfortunately there aren't "pre-adjusted" versions for many different games in the Netherlands. I guess it's not a real gaming country at all, like the US, UK and Germany seem to be. So it's a very good thing that a friend of his is working on "tweaking" components of - what I would call - alternative games (games that neither are available in our regular toy stores, nor are known by the "big crowd" here). You will not find such adjusted versions of games like King of Tokyo or Exploding Kittens anywhere in the Netherlands, but still this guy wants to play these games with us. So it's a very good thing to see people who have friends that can do this (and even for free).

What is your story on this? I'd like to hear, so I could possibly learn even more about handling this situation. I just think I would be a jerk if I would keep someone who can't do anything about his/her problem of seeing well from playing any game; I'll just have to exclude the game itself, but find a way to exclude as few as I can at the same time.


Yeah, you may want to find other activities to involve such folks (like hiking). I hear they have blind versions of games like Uno and Monopoly, but with modern bg, any solution would have to be left to the consumer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.