Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sylvain Lacroix
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if Runebound 2nd Ed still was relevant after all those years. I'm a huge fan of Mage Knight but can't put it on the table often, even SOLO, since it's a pretty big game to get out, and it's always intimidating to start a game late night.

Now, I stumbled on Runebound 2nd Ed (and found someone selling a copy at a reasonable price) and was wondering if the game was for me.

A few things :

- I love adventures, exploration (D&D roots)
- I don't mind dice-fest. I love Pathfinder Adventure Card game
- I want a game that's fast to setup (not like Mage Knight)

So? Any opinions? Thanks guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough one to answer.
Maybe you like it (?)

It's not easy to compare to mageknight. And third edition also is another game. So second is still relevant IMHO.
It has not much exploration (other than in your mind perhaps - 'what evil lurks underneath this blue adventure token?').
The story telling works quite good. You have events that get worse as the time goes on.
For some peope fights are to random (dice rolling) but still I had games with people in analysis paralysis trying to figure out every step of the fight. So I guess at least the some tactics are involved.
I like this game and some (user)variants add to the solo-experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally understand the Mage Knight thing. It's a great game, plays well solo, but it's a beast just to set up, and I feel like I'm learning it for the first time every time I go to play. And by the time I'm done, I am drained.

Runebound (2nd Ed) is MUCH faster to set up. Shuffle a few decks, put out the adventure tokens (which becomes very quick once you've started memorizing the board) and that's most of the setup. The game itself follows a simple pattern. You roll a set of custom movement dice, each one representing a space you can enter (up to 5). You move, land on a space with an adventure, draw a card in one of 4 difficulties (green, yellow, blue, or red depending on the adventure token). There are events that enter play with new challenges or lucrative rewards, encounter cards that can sometimes offer side quests, and challenges (enemies) you have to fight. Defeating enemies gives you experience and gold. The game also includes allies (3rd Ed does not) that you can add to your party. You basically go around, fight stuff, get more powerful and fight bigger stuff until you're ready to take on the dragonlords (final bosses). Lots of variety, lots of immersive story.

Plays great solo, even up to 3 players. 4 can be a little slow, 5 and 6 player is REALLY slow. If you have deep pockets or a lot of luck, you can find a lot of expansion content still floating around, but 2nd Ed is OOP, so prices tend to be high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hunter
Canada
Red Deer
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I *just* picked up Runequest 2nd Ed in a trade yesterday, along with a bunch of expansions. I did my first solo playthrough last night so my impressions need to be taken with that in mind.

I also own Mage Knight, and while I very much enjoy the game and won't part with it, I hardly ever manage to get it to the table.

With that said, Runebound hit all the right notes with me. It was much faster to set up, mostly due to the previous owners brilliant custom organization in the box. It is truly exceptional.

The game plays smooth and as a old school Roleplayer I enjoyed the simple level up system here. I did use Mr. Skeletor's solo rules with the Doom track and I believe that is an absolute must for the solo player.

I enjoyed the market but used a variant allowing more market cards.

I believe that this game is still relevant and chose it over the 3rd edition as I do enjoy rolling dice. Flipping discs; not so much.

All in all, I'm very happy to have picked this up and, if you can pick it up for a reasonable cost, I think that you can't go wrong.

Good luck and let us know if you like it, if you end up picking it up that is!

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound 2nd edition for me is right between Mage Knight and Talisman. Less brain burning but still more to do than what Talisman has to offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorias Silverblade
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Runebound 2nd Edition for me is one of the best experiences i ever had since i got into the hobby.I really love the "feel" that offers,the fact that with some proper mood from your part,it really gets you into another world!
As an avid d&d player with a great love for "fantasy/sword and sorcery",once i got into board gaming,i searched for games that could give me a similar feel.The kind of feel you get as a "hero",going to adventures and quests,fighting deadly creatures while trying to save the kingdom.
Runebound is the one that makes you feel those kind of things better than any other fantasy-themed adventure board game.There other good games too.Prophecy,Return of the heroes,Whitcher,Pathfinder a.c.g,Talisman or Legends of Andor and of course Mage Knight.Mage Knight is very good,very solid game but i think it has nothing to do with Runebound apart from the fact that it is a fantasy adventure board game.Mage Knight while offering a good sence of adventure and exploration,is a more "thinky" and "puzzly" experience overall and a far more complex game.
For me go for Runebound 2nd edition.You can try the 3rd edition too but it is a bit different and on my opinion not so good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
It's more relevant than ever.
(Whatever that means!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot speak on solo gaming. However, I have not seen this addressed. Runebound 2nd edition needs small expansions to make it replayable, otherwise you will fight the same monsters over and over again.

Since it is OOP and hard to find, and prices are high, I advise against it.

I have not played 3rd edition yet, but this may be the better way to go. Otherwise I recommend Prophecy instead.

I think Talisman is better than all these, but I understand its not everyone's cup of tea. Besides Talisman is about to go out of print as well and prices are high.

Another option is finding a Dungeon Crawl. There are some great ones out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:
I cannot speak on solo gaming. However, I have not seen this addressed. Runebound 2nd edition needs small expansions to make it replayable, otherwise you will fight the same monsters over and over again.

It's not that bad, but expansions are highly recommended. Big or small, get what you can. They add variety, but are also just really good.

DomaGB wrote:
I have not played 3rd edition yet, but this may be the better way to go.

3rd Ed isn't any better. It took the base scenario and split it into 2 scenarios, so you now play half the story at a time. Each scenario does mix in a few monsters, but in general, the card pool in the base game is pretty lacking and there are more duplicates (in enemies). You only benefit from availability.

Enemies in 3rd Ed are also flavorless (literally). They have no flavor text, you just fight random enemies; an orc, a dragon, an ogre. You no longer have things like "you hear howling in the distance as a monster gives chase" or "a village is under siege from a dragon". Instead, those story moments come up in the story cards, but those are 90% flavor text and very little in terms of fighting or doing things; spend an action to remove a token, or discard a card to take this token kind of thing. It's a little disjointed in the way it handles story and mechanics. It often keeps them far apart except for quests and encounters (and quests are kind of weak in both areas, in my opinion).

I recommend you try 3rd Ed before buying into it if possible. It's a different sort of adventure game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Speck
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can complete a solo game in under 2 hours, including setup/breakdown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Lacroix
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does playing Solo gives a better gaming experience than Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set or Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.