BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Gay man not gay because he supports Trump rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if a gay man supports Trump, he can be deemed not to be gay because a gay man cant possibly support Trump, for some reason?
Amazing.

Quote:

Peter Thiel may be attracted to men, but a prominent LGBT magazine says he’s “not a gay man” because he supports Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump.

In a rambling article for The Advocate, Connecticut College history professor Jim Downs posits that there is more to being gay “than just having sex with someone of the same gender.”

Mr. Downs argues the Silicon Valley billionaire reaffirmed his personal “sexual choices” by supporting Mr. Trump, but separated himself from the broader “gay identity” rooted in class struggle against oppression.

“By the logic of gay liberation, Thiel is an example of a man who has sex with other men, but not a gay man,” Mr. Downs wrote. “Because he does not embrace the struggle of people to embrace their distinctive identity.”

Mr. Downs also accuses Mr. Thiel of supporting a platform that is “actually dangerous to LGBT people,” pointing to Republican-backed laws allowing religious bakers to refuse to make wedding cakes for same-sex couples.

And he takes issue with Mr. Thiel’s Republican National Convention speech, in which the tech entrepreneur said political disputes over transgender bathroom access are a “distraction” from the larger issues facing the nation.

Mr. Downs says he is not trying to argue “that LGBT culture is homogenous [sic] or that all LGBT people have the same ideological viewpoints or values,” yet insists that gay people must have a shared understanding of “gay culture” in order to be truly “gay.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/oct/19/peter-thiel-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I'm glad we have all decided that some random magazine nobody has ever heard of is the legal court of arbitration for homosexuality. Where can we send our petitions for our sexuality to be judged?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
Ah, I'm glad we have all decided that some random magazine nobody has ever heard of is the legal court of arbitration for homosexuality. Where can we send our petitions for our sexuality to be judged?

Are you gay?
Could that be why you haven't heard of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:

Are you gay?

Given your general positions, dashi, a strong familiarity with gay magazines might be a bit hypocritical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:

Are you gay?

Given your general positions, dashi, a strong familiarity with gay magazines might be a bit hypocritical.

Did I say I had heard of it?
I had never heard of it.
That doesn't mean it is not prominent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is stupid, as is the man touting this.

Apparently all those years of gay rights activists who fought for the freedom to sexual expression, the promotion of openness to different forms of self-identification with regard to gender and sex... and suddenly an authority has to come in and deem what kinds of gay people deserve to be gay.

Sadly, Trump is still the most pro-gay Republican candidate of all time. He's pro-traditional marriage, but to my knowledge has said nothing about reversing Obergefell or restricting LGBT rights. He even expressed his support of allowing trans people to use restrooms of their choice. You can criticize him for a million things, but he's at least got that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
windsagio wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:

Are you gay?

Did I say I had heard of it?
I had never heard of it.
That doesn't mean it is not prominent.

It's a magazine. In 2016.

I can guarantee it's not prominent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say "I'm not gay but I thought everyone knew that The Advocate is probably the most prominent gay magazine, . . ."

Then . . .

jageroxorz wrote:

. . . point taken.

One of my nieces is selling magazine subscriptions for a school fund-raiser, and all I could think was "People still subscribe to magazines"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I was going to say "I'm not gay but I thought everyone knew that The Advocate is probably the most prominent gay magazine, . . ."

Then . . .

jageroxorz wrote:

. . . point taken.

One of my nieces is selling magazine subscriptions for a school fund-raiser, and all I could think was "People still subscribe to magazines"?

They're pushing The Advocate? Progressive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What, you are all going to get hung up on "magazine" and "prominent" ?
Shocking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Same thing as a black man not being truly black because he _______.

It's the no true Scotsman fallacy all over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh. Not a good article, but if you can have RINOs, you probably can have GINOs. Just more of the same old crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldsin wrote:
Meh. Not a good article, but if you can have RINOs, you probably can have GINOs. Just more of the same old crap.

Gay in name only?
What is it? A Choice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
What, you are all going to get hung up on "magazine" and "prominent" ?
Shocking.

I'm not hung up on it. I thought it was interesting that people who consider themselves knowledgeable had never heard of The Advocate.

Aside from that, I agree with the notion that its ridiculous to say a gay man isn't gay because he supports Donald Trump.

That's like those people who insist that Clarence Thomas isn't really black.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
So if a gay man supports Trump, he can be deemed not to be gay because a gay man cant possibly support Trump, for some reason?
Amazing.

Quote:

Peter Thiel may be attracted to men, but a prominent LGBT magazine says he’s “not a gay man” because he supports Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump.

In a rambling article for The Advocate, Connecticut College history professor Jim Downs posits that there is more to being gay “than just having sex with someone of the same gender.”

Mr. Downs argues the Silicon Valley billionaire reaffirmed his personal “sexual choices” by supporting Mr. Trump, but separated himself from the broader “gay identity” rooted in class struggle against oppression.

“By the logic of gay liberation, Thiel is an example of a man who has sex with other men, but not a gay man,” Mr. Downs wrote. “Because he does not embrace the struggle of people to embrace their distinctive identity.”

Mr. Downs also accuses Mr. Thiel of supporting a platform that is “actually dangerous to LGBT people,” pointing to Republican-backed laws allowing religious bakers to refuse to make wedding cakes for same-sex couples.

And he takes issue with Mr. Thiel’s Republican National Convention speech, in which the tech entrepreneur said political disputes over transgender bathroom access are a “distraction” from the larger issues facing the nation.

Mr. Downs says he is not trying to argue “that LGBT culture is homogenous [sic] or that all LGBT people have the same ideological viewpoints or values,” yet insists that gay people must have a shared understanding of “gay culture” in order to be truly “gay.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/oct/19/peter-thiel-...

This is quintessential identity politics to the core. And it's a phenomenon found mostly on the Left. Are we surprised?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
oldsin wrote:

Gay in name only?
What is it? A Choice?

Nope. Both monikers are stupid, not both ok. I thought me calling it crap would give it away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, gay people can be stupid assholes too? I am amazed.

This really isn't a new concept. I've heard plenty of accounts of bisexual folks getting shit from gay folks because they wouldn't just pick a gender to want to fuck.

Shockingly, who you like to fuck has surprisingly little bearing on whether you're a judgmental asshole or not.

That said, this also gets into that problem of what certain labels mean. As pointed out with the RINO example, plenty of people disassociate themselves with groups and vice versa even if they do the same things and hold many of the same beliefs.

There IS a "gay" culture that is separate from just wanting to have sex with the folks of the same gender, just as there is a "gamer" culture that doesn't entail just being someone who plays a few games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
If he's a Gay republican, he probably doesn't read The Advocate anyway, so what does he care?

I'm a Democrat voting gun owner and I don't read Soldier of Fortune, so what would I care what they would think of me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
jageroxorz wrote:

Most "magazines" in this day in age don't really mean "glossies" as much as online anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
This is quintessential identity politics to the core. And it's a phenomenon found mostly on the Left. Are we surprised?

That was a rhetorical question, but . . . no, not at all surprised. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:

Right, because I've never heard conservatives label someone "not a true Republican" or "not a true Christian" or "not a true American" because they didn't hold specific political beliefs. Gimme a fucking break.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
chrisnd wrote:

Right, because I've never heard conservatives label someone "not a true Republican" or "not a true Christian" or "not a true American" because they didn't hold specific political beliefs. Gimme a fucking break.

The whole RINO phenomenon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
chrisnd wrote:

But when the right does it, it's true!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
chrisnd wrote:

I'll be your visual aid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
cbazler wrote:
chrisnd wrote:

I'll be your visual aid.

You're not a true Christian, Republican, OR American. Wow, triple threat.

Actually I've never heard anyone go so far as not a true American. But it could have happened. Possibly everyone in Utah is not a true American to someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.